Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2009, 06:00 PM

70 posts, read 179,214 times

Advertisements

Hi, there. I am really hoping someone can shed some light...Does anyone know of a language immersion program or play group for toddlers in RI or southeastern MA? To my knowledge, the French American School of RI (FASRI) is the only one in the state - how pathetic! Not to mention my 1-year-old is too young for their programs...and unfortunately, at this age toddlers really do benefit from learning more than one language. I am dying to get started and although I am "nearly" fluent in Italian my wish is to find a native speaker who would lead a fun program or playgroup for this age group. It doesn't have to be Italian either. I am open to anything at this point. There is actually a nice program in Natick, MA, called "Bilingual Babies" but the drive is a bit too far for us being that we're in Barrington and the class is only 1/2 long, once a week. I was hoping to find something steadier and closer. Does anyone have any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 06:10 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Perhaps someone here can help you...

RIFLA

Also, allow me to share a little lesson I learned a long time ago, having lived in many states. When you move to a new area, it is a good idea to be very circumspect about being too openly critical in your opinions too soon- and that includes criticizing one of the best school systems around as "pathetic" for lack of language immersion. I find there is little RI does not have to offer if you look hard enough since it is endlessly diverse in its various cultural and economic micro environments.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:03 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,563,175 times
The French American school starts at pre-school if your willing to wait another year..

About The French-American School of Rhode Island

The French-American School of RI (FASRI) is an independent school offering grades from Pre-school through grade 8, accredited by the French Government and the Rhode Island Board of Education.
Our French immersion program runs from Pre-school through Kindergarten, and the bilingual program from grades 1 through 8. We welcome non-French speaking children up to and including Kindergarten.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:43 PM

Hollytree, thank you for helping me and providing the link to RIFLA. I will contact them right away. I have been living in RI for quite some time now and love everything about it except for the apparent lack of immersion programs, particularly Italian ones. You're right about "looking hard enough" and although I've had very little luck searching on-line, I will now try other methods of research as well.

Nate14ri, I have looked into the FASRI program and look forward to exploring more once my son is old enough...you have a wonderful program but I just wish FASRI offered classes from birth to 3 years, as well, even simple "mommy and me" sing-alongs, for example.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:13 PM

So, I've decided to start an Italian language immersion play group for toddlers myself! Thank you everyone, for your advice!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island