Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 03:42 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminct View Post

Plus it drives the red sox fans bananas that they are many many yankee fans in new england, despite their hard headed denial...
Don't it, though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 04:04 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,590,580 times
Yup, tons of Yankee fans here. good posts.
I can pick up The Fan on radio from New York here.
660AM with a good antenna.
Same with Giants and even the Rangers.
Providence Reds were the farm club of the Rangers.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:51 PM

4,385 posts, read 3,193,342 times
The Giants have a lot of fans in New England because the Pats joined the league so much later, and were on shaky ground for so long. In my Dad's day you were a Giant's fan because that was the closest team, or else you picked another team to follow.

Even when I was growing up, a lot of kids picked other teams to root for, because rooting for the Pats was kind of thankless.

I've never noticed a lot of Ranger fans, but then the Bruins were one of the original NHL teams.

It's funny, baseball partisanship in particular seems to be handed down from father to son. My husband's a Yankee fan just like his NY'er father, but he's a Bruin fan instead of a Ranger fan because he moved to RI in the Orr era. Every Yankee fan I know had a father who was a Yankee fan. But the people I know who aren't Pat's fans, often just picked their team because they liked the look of the other team's uniform back when they were kids!

Old 07-17-2014, 09:41 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
The Giants have a lot of fans in New England because the Pats joined the league so much later, and were on shaky ground for so long. In my Dad's day you were a Giant's fan because that was the closest team, or else you picked another team to follow.

Even when I was growing up, a lot of kids picked other teams to root for, because rooting for the Pats was kind of thankless.

I've never noticed a lot of Ranger fans, but then the Bruins were one of the original NHL teams.

It's funny, baseball partisanship in particular seems to be handed down from father to son. My husband's a Yankee fan just like his NY'er father, but he's a Bruin fan instead of a Ranger fan because he moved to RI in the Orr era. Every Yankee fan I know had a father who was a Yankee fan. But the people I know who aren't Pat's fans, often just picked their team because they liked the look of the other team's uniform back when they were kids!
or they had better looking football cards! I still miss the Minuteman Pat's logo!

BTW, this is an old post, but 790 was the first Yankee station in New England, outside of Connecticut. There are now more in the rest of New England.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:44 AM

23 posts, read 35,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thruway View Post
I'm looking at the affilates for the Yankees and end up being surprised to see that they are carried on the radio in Providence, RI which is a mere 40 miles from Boston.
I had a few questions

1) Why is this the case? How long has this been going on?

2) Since stations are in a business, which is driven by ratings and interest, do the Yankees hold a substantial enough of a fanbase in RI, or NY teams in general, which is why they have an affilate here?

3) In general, I am from Trumbull, CT which supports NY teams but went to college in Boston with all the Mass fans, I would love to be in the northeast and my best chance near Boston, but I can't stand the 200-3 bias which goes on. I can't have opinion without it taking 3 hours to resolve and part of me dies lol.
I would be overcome with joy if this somehow indicates in New England but outside the Boston area there are a lot of NY fans and it's not 200-3 therefore I can find a small niche with a similar passion.

4) Do the Yankees, Giants, Rangers, major NY teams have a following in RI, and if so, why since it's closer by a lot to BOS city?

5) How come they do not air games for the Yankees on Wednesday?
-What about when there is a conflict with the Pats, does another station pick it up?

6) How is the reception of 790, can you get into southern RI, MA, CT?
Thanks.
There are a lot of Yankee fans in the area though I am a tried and true Sox fan. I have several friends that actually wear Yankees hats around here and in Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: