U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2009, 07:44 PM

10 posts, read 29,514 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My boyfriend and I are relocating to RI. I've been doing a lot of research and really like the two villages above. I was wondering which would be the better choice. We like parks, beaches, bike trails, low traffic, and would like someplace with an artsy vibe. We also want to be in a calm peaceful environment and somewhere with a sense of community.

Thanks so much!!!!

Any help is greatly appreciated : )
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 07:23 AM

2,546 posts, read 3,850,956 times
Wickford Village is a little larger than Pawtuxet Village, and is surrounded by nicer areas. Nothing against Pawtuxet at all - I grew up very near there, fished off the bridge and bought penny candy at Camerons, but the area to the north of Pawtuxet gets rough fast. The Warwick side to the south is nice though. The colonial-themed Gaspee Days parade, held every June, is the best in RI IMHO, and the drive down Narragansett Parkway is beautiful this time of year (foliage wise). Based on your description of what you are looking for, I really think you'd be happy with either choice. Best of luck with whatever you choose!

Old 10-18-2009, 07:25 AM

6,266 posts, read 10,429,166 times
Either place would be nice.

Pawtuxet Village is an enclave in Warwick which is a suburban city so there is much development around it.
Wickford is more isolated and a bit more rural in its surroundings.

Wickford is slightly more expensive & slightly more of a tourist destination.
PV has some airplane noise.

PV has proximity to Providence - Wickford a little farther out.

Both have nice harbor/boating areas but not swimming beaches as far as I know.

I'd say you'd have to visit both to see how you like the different atmospheres.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:23 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,957,741 times
My vote would go towards Wickford Village. I like the fact that there are more rural areas within 10 minutes or so, and the beaches are much closer.

Warwick is too congested for me.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:38 PM

8,170 posts, read 14,218,218 times
Wickford has the most incredible family beach. I spent every sunny day of every summer for 10 years at the N. Kingstown town beach (behind the town hall). Most of the homes right in Wickford are historical but there are great areas not far outside the village. Look down Ten Rod Road to the west, south towards the high school. I LOVED living in Wickford and still miss it.

During the summer is the Wickford Art Festival, July 4th always has great activities on the beach. It's very family oriented and was teriffic for my kids.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:20 AM

29 posts, read 99,404 times
Wickford wins this one hands down but you'd better have plenty of dough if you plan to live there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island