U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 12:19 AM

429 posts, read 1,299,960 times

Advertisements

I like the winters, and enjoy the snow.
I was curious does RI get a good amount of snow, and how are the winters there compared with say BOS or Fairfield County, CT.

I have lived in both places and was curious if you get 'shafted' with much less snow in winter than BOS or if it's comparable.

Also, are the seasonal lenghts of winter, spring, summer comparable to BOS or different, thanks.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:08 AM

4,455 posts, read 2,497,902 times
Providence receives about 25-30" of snow a winter- areas like Newport and near the ocean less. The moderating influence of Narragansett bay and the nearby Atlantic moderate the winters. But likewise a cooling sea breeze in the summer lessens the heat during June, July and August.

Compared to Boston, Providence receives less snow. Compared to Fairfield county about the same.

Seasonally on average, Providence has milder winters and cooler summers then inland areas of New England. Compared to Boston, Providence is slightly warmer in the summer, Newport is cooler. Autumns are extended into December with mild weather, off the warm Atlantic; but springs are retarded because of the chilled waters of the Atlantic.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:49 AM

37 posts, read 129,437 times
Cool Rode Island Winters

Over the past few years it seems to be hit or miss. One year we have record snowfalls and the following mild unseasonal winters. Like this past winter. We had warm weather in December and January along with rain. Other winters we have had snow in November and December lasting well through the winter months leading up until march.

I suggest if your looking for snow all winter than you need to head up north further like New Hampshire or Vermont. When we get rain they get snow.
Rhode Island is not consistent every year anymore. Thanks to global warming!

Old 05-15-2007, 05:43 PM

319 posts, read 50,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjetch View Post
Over the past few years it seems to be hit or miss. One year we have record snowfalls and the following mild unseasonal winters. Like this past winter. We had warm weather in December and January along with rain. Other winters we have had snow in November and December lasting well through the winter months leading up until march.

I suggest if your looking for snow all winter than you need to head up north further like New Hampshire or Vermont. When we get rain they get snow.
Rhode Island is not consistent every year anymore. Thanks to global warming!
I have to agree with every word he said.

Likewise situation here in the city.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:07 PM

943 posts, read 140,933 times
Either way its cold there, whether Boston gets more than Providence is hit or miss, they both get snow storms, I spent a number of years living thru them on the RI Mass border, don't miss the storms or sub zero weather one bit.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:11 PM

I suppose then, I went to college in Boston, that given it is coastal like Providence, although a little north and facing the MA Bay not the N Bay, they both have similar winters.

Bos winter=Prov winter which is a little greater than Fairfield County but less than inland?

Old 05-16-2007, 06:17 PM

869 posts, read 1,267,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tberg224 View Post
I suppose then, I went to college in Boston, that given it is coastal like Providence, although a little north and facing the MA Bay not the N Bay, they both have similar winters.

Bos winter=Prov winter which is a little greater than Fairfield County but less than inland?
Much less than inland. A few miles, like Fairfield county, can mean a big difference. Black Rock Turnpike always had more snow than Trumball Ave and North there was even more than that. Westport no snow, Easton or Weston a foot. Likewise in Rhode Ilsand and Massachusetts. Boston or Prov could have 6" of snow, but 10 miles N or W could have 10-20' of snow. I live in NW RI and we have had 30" of snow and Prov only 5" or none at all. NW RI averages about 60-70" yearly. It depends on the track and temp of the storm. BTW Bos gets more snow on average than Prov(36").

Old 05-16-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
Much less than inland. A few miles, like Fairfield county, can mean a big difference. Black Rock Turnpike always had more snow than Trumball Ave and North there was even more than that. Westport no snow, Easton or Weston a foot. Likewise in Rhode Ilsand and Massachusetts. Boston or Prov could have 6" of snow, but 10 miles N or W could have 10-20' of snow. I live in NW RI and we have had 30" of snow and Prov only 5" or none at all. NW RI averages about 60-70" yearly. It depends on the track and temp of the storm. BTW Bos gets more snow on average than Prov(36").
I thought BOS and PROV were comparable snow wise.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:32 PM

869 posts, read 1,267,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tberg224 View Post
I thought BOS and PROV were comparable snow wise.
cold fronts coming from the north don't always reach providence. boston can get more snow, but we are talking averages. the difference is only 5-8 inches.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
cold fronts coming from the north don't always reach providence. boston can get more snow, but we are talking averages. the difference is only 5-8 inches.
Sounds like they are quite similar.
Do you get the golf stream in Rhode Island like they do in CT or just not all the cold fronts that BOS has?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island