Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,788 times

Advertisements

The parking fees seem very reasonable at Rhode Island beaches versus MA. How early do I need to plan on getting there to be sure I get in? Thanks for your help.
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 02:41 PM

3 posts, read 9,475 times
a lot depends on the day of the week and what the weather is. The state beaches in Narragansett (Scarborough Beach and Roger Wheeler Beach) have a lot of parking available and you can get a spot almost any time of the day. Go before Noon or after 3 and you should be fine.

Town beaches could be harder, smaller parking lots.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:31 AM

1 posts, read 4,598 times
Default Rhode Island Beaches

Some people here have written positively about Misquamicut beach, but my family and I found Misq. really tacky -- too commercial and overcrowded. However, adjacent to Misquamicut is Watch Hill beach. Now THAT beach is a beauty. A miles-long stretch of gorgeous New England seashore, with a great view of the lighthouse. In an effort to keep it from becoming overrun with tourists, there is no parking. But you can park on Bay street and walk to the beach. The trek is worth it.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:29 AM

257 posts, read 1,332,062 times
The tackiness of Misquamicut (and the waves) is exactly why I like it, it's like RI's own little Jersey Shore!

Old 04-05-2008, 05:28 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,400,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sally0 View Post
The beaches are better than Cape Cod if you enjoy swimming. They are clean and not rocky. The temp is good. Towns of Charlestown (lowest taxes), Westerly (medium), and Watch Hill (wicked expensive houses) have the nicest beaches.

HUH???? ARE YOU KIDDING? I have lived in Rhode Island for most every summer of my life and also visited frirends and relatives with summer homes on the Cape... and in the Falmouth area anyway, the beaches ae MUCH more sandy with fine white sand AND the water is warmer on the Cape than in RI.
The surf may be better in RI. I'm not sure but generally aesthetics wise and temperaturewise, the Cape's beaches beats RI.

MAYBE if you are looking for calmer much cooler waters, RI beaches with the exception of those known for surf are superior to Cape Cod beaches for swimming. There are many nice cove areas but the water is colder than it is on the Cape.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:28 PM

67 posts, read 516,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tberg224 View Post
Well I like the OBX were without a storm you can 6-8 feet waves.
The Cape's water is cold, rocky, and an overall average 2-4 surf.

How does Rhode Island beaches compare in terms of temperature and surf to the cape?

If they are warmer, how come since they are so close to the Cape?
Reading this thread, I got to wondering about the sea temps and checked the NOAA PORTS data for last summer. Newport was around 70 degrees and Woods Hole touched 75 in early August.

You are more likely to get Gulf Stream water on the outer Cape than RI. Take a look at the archived SSTs on the Rutgers site.

Sea Surface Temperature - IMCS Marine Remote Sensing

We do get Gulf Stream water...sometimes a warm core will spin off and hit the coast, bringing with it mahi, cobia, and small tropical fish. We get juvenile tropicals carried by the Gulf Stream in the South County salt ponds each summer.

As for surfing spots, Narragansett Town Beach is very nice, but often the break isn't much. So, as noted earlier in this thread, the surfers go where the break is, and they are rocky spots. Pier 5, just south of the Narra Town Beach, Point Judith, Deep Hole Fishing area and Carpenters Bar, to name a few. Warm Winds surf shop has a webcam of the Narra Town Beach.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:47 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,828,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
during the summer months the water can get to 70-75. warmer than most Cape beaches. Rhode Ilsand waters face south and get fed by the Gulf Stream current. eight months out of the year you will need a wet suit. surf at Narr. Pier is only about 2-5 ft, but the waves break slowly allowing for the longest runs in New England and thre Northeast.

BTW, check Gulf Stream current on the web and you will see that it flows away from the Cape.
This is "The Gulf Stream". At least it is Winslow Homer's version of it.

BTW the Gulf Stream influences the Cape just as much, if not more, than R.I.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:20 PM

14 posts, read 75,738 times
Default Beaches in RI

The beaches in RI are warmer than the cape. Our beaches face SOUTH, and are further south latitude-wise as well. No steep dune cliffs and nice sand and surf!
Narragansett town beach, Scarborough, east matunick and misquamicut are the best, beaches in the state.
Charlestown is good too.
Hope that helps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thruway View Post
Well I like the OBX were without a storm you can 6-8 feet waves.
The Cape's water is cold, rocky, and an overall average 2-4 surf.

How does Rhode Island beaches compare in terms of temperature and surf to the cape?

If they are warmer, how come since they are so close to the Cape?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island