Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 11:32 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,983,532 times

Advertisements

You think traffic is bad in Rhody? Can't wait til you move to FL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 12:21 AM

1 posts, read 3,872 times
Default Wow

I'm not sure why anyone would take the advice of someone who paints an entire state with a negative brush because of regional dialects. It's like saying everyone from the south is a racist because they sound like James Earl Ray, or everyone in Texas is a backwards hick.
Absurd
Anyway i've lived in RI for almost 4 years, before that i lived in the DC area, the San Francisco area and i grew up outside Philadelphia. I like RI less than San Francisco, but way more than DC. The people here are New Englanders and have the gruff exterior, but i have had no problem making friends. The restaurants in Providence are great and there is plenty of stuff to do outdoors. There are also 5 colleges in Providence, so the city has more culture than you would expect from a small city including a great art museum at RISD. In addition it is only about 3 hours from NYC, 1 hour from Boston, and 3-5 hours from all the wilderness you can handle in Maine or New Hampshire. The thing that will drive you crazy are the drivers, they are horrible, so if you do move try to make sure you have a short commute. It is not a perfect place to live, but anyone that has lived in more than one place will tell you no place is perfect. For example I loved San Francisco, but the place is lousy with homeless people and dirtier than most people realize. DC had a ton of stuff to do but most of the people i met there were pompous, elitist, and self-absorbed. The bottom line is you should talk to some people that have lived or do live in the place you are thinking of moving to, that is the best way to get a real feel for the place. or better yet visit for a weekend or so.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:35 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,324,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemominRI View Post
Hi boy do I agree with you they call us the ocean state but you cant fish or swim always contaiminated same thing with the drinking water witch we pay for is always contaminated and you cant use it so you have to buy bottled water and boil water half the time to wash up its just gross I work in a hospital and many times couldt use the water to bathe patients I have lived here for over thirty years and I am discusted i too work about a 15 min drive from work witch takes me an hour or more with the traffic 95 is horrible I too live in a better part of RI and it still stinks I hope they make some improvments for the young generation to survive here How was Florida moving ther soon to the sw area
Obviously have some personal issue with Rhode Island - however-

I can tell you the ocean contaiminated thing is flat out wrong. Rhode Island has some of the cleanest ocean waters in the USA. Get on line and read what's in the ocean off TX and LA. I agree, many things in Rhode Island need improvment - but Rhode Island has some of the cleanest, nicest beaches in the United States.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:24 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,865,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Rhode Island has some of the cleanest, nicest beaches in the United States.
I'd agree with that. You wouldn't believe how many times a beach is closed in San Diego due to Sewage spills. Once every 2 weeks or so...Plus, San Diegans don't go in the Water for 72 hours after a rain due to pollution, though the hard core surfers do anyway (yuch!-intestinal disease galore!).

Old 03-19-2008, 07:27 AM

257 posts, read 1,332,360 times
Expect RI beaches to be even cleaner now that the Combined Sewer Outflow project is complete.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:39 PM

7 posts, read 10,934 times
This is an interesting discussion, seeing as my husband and I are thinking about moving back East after 12 years (for me) in Seattle. I moved there in '96 after growing up in southeastern Mass. - my parents are still there. Husband is a native PNW'er, but has lived in many places.

Anyhow, Seattle has about outlived its charm and usefulness for us, and the thought of being closer to family is enticing. If folks on this forum believe New Englanders are unfriendly, you may have never heard of the Seattle 'Freeze' - very polite, yet really hard to get to know. At least (in my opinion), with folks from New England (Boston, Providence), they are pretty darned direct and you know where you stand. I appreciate that.

Having done some research, living back in Boston seems out of reach. The cost of living and rents is sky-high, and no better than Seattle, which is outrageous. The housing slump has barely touched us here and you can't buy even the smallest home (say 1000 s.f.) for less than $350/400k. Metro Boston seems to be in a similar situation.

We decided to consider Providence and have been doing quite a bit of research. We were amazed (happily) at the relatively low rents. Also, the home prices seem very moderate compared to what we have been experiencing. The idea of owning a multi-family home for $250k is very intriguing, considering you can't even get an 800sf condo for that price in the Seattle area!

As for the commute to Boston on commuter rail - well, it's 41 miles, which is the same distance folks commute each day from Tacoma to Seattle or Everett to Seattle by bus or car, with twice the time and aggravation most of the time. So, I guess it's all relative. Commuting to Boston by train from Providence seems really easy now, after having lived and seen so much commuter-hell here in Seattle. Believe me, if we actually do move back, I will be counting my blessings every day.

Granted, I am sure there are many other less expensive places in the country, but it is really important that we live close to water and not be landlocked. And we have family close by and some old friends still in the area. I know I will be back to a state income tax; on the other hand, WA State has a sales tax of almost 10%, and *very* high property taxes. Again, every place has its advantages and disadvantages, so we are willing to take the risk. I like the idea of Providence being a pretty urban area, close to everything, *and* it still has a small-town feel. I am looking forward to that again.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:38 PM

67 posts, read 265,907 times
yeah, i miss a lot of things about RI, it has it's goods and it's bads just like any other place but overall a nice place to live, raise kids, etc. Given the opportunity to move back, I would probably do it.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:05 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,983,532 times
Default Hi Eastcoastgirl

I am only asking this because there has been so much negativity lately regarding Rhode Island on here.

Where are you now, and what do you miss about Rhody? What would compel you to move back here?

I'm interested!

Thanks.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:33 PM

7 posts, read 23,037 times
Hi ,

We've lived in RI since 2001. Rhode Island is a great state, and yes people can be a bit standoffish or cliquey. But you make your friends and they're great friends. I must admit I do have an accent. There are a couple different ones, but I love the differences we all have.

Housing is expensive, but that is leveling out. But is no different from the rest of the Northeast. It is hard to get started for young families and south county is hard to find work. My husband has worked for a couple companies that flat out closed shop.

We are actually looking to move more south due to weather. But are very attached to Rhode Island and New England. We love the fact that the ocean is 5 minutes from our house and that we can visit Newport, Providence and Boston is only a day trip.

If we had 10- 15 degree warmer weather we'd probably stay.

Good Luck with your decision.

Heather

Old 04-09-2008, 11:01 AM

9,242 posts, read 14,798,145 times
Default Do youze want to go online

is Cockney English. Many Rhode island emigrated from England during the industrial revolution to work in the mills. The accent lingers.....
I have even heard people say "Haitch" for "H"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island