U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 02:40 AM

82 posts, read 422,357 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about moving to RI -- I've heard some good things--particularly about Providence.

Currently, I'm a teacher on Long Island, NY. I'm interested in a few things, specifically:

1) What are people like there? What's the atmosphere? How do people like living there?

2) How is the cost of living? Avg. rent for a 1 bedroom apt?

3) How are the schools?

Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2006, 04:11 PM

2 posts, read 40,337 times
Thumbs up An Answer for Antipode

Antipode: I grew up in Pawtucket, RI and my father and grandfather were teachers in that city's school system for their entire careers. I feel somewhat competent to answer your questions.

1) People are generally OK here. They have a little bit of the sterotypical Yankee aloofness, IMO, but not so bad as to make you feel unwanted. For Providence specifically, the urban core was pretty nasty in the late 60' s- early 80's, but has made signicficant advances in the past 10 years. Providence's suburbs and downtown area are beautiful now, with nightife and major universities, coffeehouses and high-end restaurants. You'll never be bored, that's for sure. I would have moved back from Florida if I had a job waiting in RI, but I wouldn't move there without some planning ahead.

2) Pricewise, rent can be pretty expensive. I haven't lived there in about 8 years, but I still have friends in the area who tell me finding a 2 bedroon apartment for less than $1000 can be a challenge. For a 1 bedroom apartment, Id say you're looking in the 650-850 range if you want someplace nice, or $500 or so for a place where you'd have the police on speed-dial.

3) The school systems vary in quality and size. If you're used to a urban/suburban envoironment, I'd suggest Providence, Pawtucket, Cranston because they're what pass for large cities in RI from a population standpoint. If you are multilingual, that's a HUGE plus. There is an astonishing range of ethnicities and cultures crammed into a very small area, with nearly every South and Central American nation represented, as well as all of SE Asia. You'd be very effective if you spoke Spanish or French[recent Haitian immigrants make up a small but growing minority] or any SE Asian tongue.

If you want something more rural, that could be a challenge. RI is the sort of place which can seem to be one large city which changes names every 5 miles. The NW corner of the state is still semi-rural, although condos and strip malls are speading outward in all directions. Schools statewide are generally pretty good in terms of quality of education.

OK, I hope I've helped. Anyone from RI who has more to add feel free to chime in.

Old 08-16-2006, 01:57 PM

442 posts, read 66,740 times
Providence is actually a very nice city- the downtown has been totally rebuilt, the riverwalk, Providence Place are nice- but the historic areas near Federal hill, and around Brown and near RSDI are very pleasant. Lots to see via walking- great ethnic resturants and some fun bars and clubs.

Real estate is high in Providence- but much less then NYC and LI
You might try the greater Hartford area to the west- which is cheaper for real estate- and has more job options-
A 2 bedroom townhouse here in the Hartford area is from 150-175K with taxes per year of 1600-2000K.

Old 08-23-2006, 09:35 PM

62 posts, read 368,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antipode12 View Post
I'm thinking about moving to RI -- I've heard some good things--particularly about Providence.

Currently, I'm a teacher on Long Island, NY. I'm interested in a few things, specifically:

1) What are people like there? What's the atmosphere? How do people like living there?

2) How is the cost of living? Avg. rent for a 1 bedroom apt?

3) How are the schools?

Thx
1. People are pretty cool here...not cool like in sunshades...but keep to themselves not particularly friendly. I just met my neighbor 2 doors down 2 weeks ago...after living here 10 years.

2. Pretty high. But as someone else said, it is relative to where you are coming from. From LI it should be better. Housing is in a slump right now, good time to buy.

3. Schools vary greatly by town. You hafta research that.

I am not from RI...moved here once for a job, moved away for a job, and then moved back. Aside from the high taxes and crooked politicians, it is a beautiful state. Really beautiful.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:45 PM

11 posts, read 69,002 times
I grew up in Coventry. RI is ok. I personally think the schools are lacking but I am very picky. When I graduated, the schools (in Coventry at least) were excellent but I wouldn't say that anymore.

The people? Bleh. No offense, but now that I live someplace friendly, I have serious issues with the general RI attitude. I'm still working on ridding myself of it... When I started college in Florida, a lot of people thought I was really stuck-up and I wasn't trying to act that way. It was the Rhode Island in me.

Old 09-27-2006, 06:21 PM

15 posts, read 86,453 times
Default Us too!

I'm so glad to have found this website, as we are actually thinking about a move to Providence and wanted to get some "real" information about the city instead of the typical propaganda you find on the internet.

Our situation is much the same as antipode. I am a teacher currently living in Florida where teaching jobs are incredibly easy to come by and the cost of living is quickly rising. My husband would like to attend BU for his Phd. We lived in Boston while he was getting his masters, but moved soon after he finished due to the high cost of living and difficulty finding jobs. He would love to move back to Boston, but with him in school full-time, we will not be able to afford a single family home in the Boston metro. With Providence the only "city" on the commuter rail, it seemed to be a good compromise - let him do the hour-long commute this time around!

I would perfer living outside of Boston anyway, as Boston was a little bit too much city for my taste. From what we can tell, Providence is a bit more surburban.

We were pleasently surprised at the home prices we found online. It appears that you can by a decent single family home in Providence for under $300,000. You can barely do that here in Florida!

I am VERY nervous about finding a teaching job, however. I've heard it is almost impossible to secure a teaching job if you did not student teach there or substitute. Is this true?

We want any information you can give us about Providence!!!

Old 01-03-2007, 02:38 PM

16 posts, read 70,913 times
Cool from ri

i am a native rhode islander forced to leave due to high rents and difficulty finding a full time teaching position in my field. i am 38 years old. anyone lucky enough to live and work in rhode island and make their rent is doing ok. but pay is only good for teaching as the years go on (tenure) 20 minutes away from any ocean side too difficult to purchase a home and afford the taxes. i wish you luck if you decide to try it.

Old 01-05-2007, 12:18 PM

13 posts, read 76,558 times
rhode island has much to offer: beautiful coastline, peaceful and quiet small towns, lots of culture, art, museums,live music, fantastic restaurants of all kinds, great bookstores, good libraries, colleges and universities, shopping, centrally located (cape cod, boston, connectibut). I have lived here for 20 years and i have loved it. The downside: very high property taxes (some towns worse than others), real estate prices are out of sight for what you get, high cost of living. Some winters are relatively mild (1-2 storms and just dustings of 1-3" in between, but now and then we get 18-24" in one storm. Some towns do not even plow the sidestreets so driving in these places can be treacherous.

I am considering moving away when i retire due to snow and high real estate prices. am researching alternatives, but also realize i may find it hard to find all the good things somewhere else.

i have lived in three different states, one being california. i find people in new england are not as friendly as in california (at least california of 35 years ago) it takes a while to get to know people here. however, my close friends are real friends that have withstood the ebb and flow of years.

no place is perfect. but out of the 3 states i have lived in i have enjoyed ri the best overall as it is so small everything is within a relatively short distance.

LOves: wickford village, gray's ice cream, little compton, eastern connecticut, craft fairs, historic districts, music, music, music, plays, concerts, absolutely fantastic choice and quality of restaurants, the miles and miles of coastline, the quiet country back roads, very good libraries, bookstores with coffeeshops, great for gardening (flowers and mixed borders my passion), easy drive to cape cod rte 6a is my favorite, not that bad to drive up to vermont for a weekend of a week (love vermont), and >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> too many things to list.

Hope this is somewhat helpful to you.

Old 01-06-2007, 07:24 PM

10,184 posts, read 18,618,358 times
I've lived in Providence and North Kingston, and commuted for about one year from Providence to Boston. The commuting was difficult; first I drove; then I drove to the bus station and re-arranged my hours to avoid traffic--but frankly I am glad I did. I learned about my own ability to adjust and succeeded.

Housing is variable in Providence. When I lived there I found rents/owns more expensive than I would have suspected (coming from NYC) but the housing market is inflated by college renters, and good PR for the City. Some of the little communities to the South of Providence have some good, old housing stock, and were more affordable (nearer to Warwick).

I wouldn't rush off to RI without a job. I am a former academic, just retired, and it took me about 6 months to settle into employment at the medical school. It was a hard few months, and I remember being very discouraged.

I did grow to love Rhode Island, its beauty, the people, Federal Hill pastries, and lots more.

Good luck.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:57 AM

195 posts, read 21,725 times
I would not recommend moving here. The people are not very friendly and I find them to be very provincial and quite dumb. I have lived in several states (including LI NY) and this is by far my least favorite. I was at a bank yesterday and the woman helping us actually asked my husband and I "Do youze want to go online?" She was wondering if we wanted to do online banking from our home. We had no idea what she was talking about, and who by the way, says youze? Just an example of the stupidity I deal with here everyday. There's either something in the water or the people are inbred, but they are really dumb.
Also, it goes without saying that the schools are inferior. As for things to do, I will say that RI has wonderful restaurants. The restaurants and the beach are probably the two best things about RI. There is very little else good to say. The people are just too weird.
Oh I almost forgot, the economy here stinks, too and will probably stay that way for a very long time. High taxes make it too prohibitive for businesses and young families to come/stay here. Heed my warning: do not move here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island