U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 07:06 PM

548 posts, read 2,033,907 times

Advertisements

Rhode Island has a nice coast but it's like an extension of Cape Cod, and less well known. Rhode Island has some great schools like Brown and RISD, but nothing like the number of great universities in Massachusetts. Providence has culture but nowhere near on the scale of Boston.

Rhode Island is like this little thingy hanging down below the Cape, Brockton, Fall River, Taunton. It's too laid back and normal to be part of Connecticut's more New York-ish culture. When Boston got over priced a lot of them ran away to R.I. for the cheaper real estate in Providence, commuted back by train to work, and felt quite at home there.

Is Rhode island just too small to have it's own identity, be its own destination, independent of Massachusetts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 08:47 AM

390 posts, read 1,321,502 times
Yes, many people realized the disallusionment that living in Boston is- of course they feel at home in RI. Its a much more intimate, local type of place, with enough culture, like Boston- but without all the rat race drama and just too many students and running around all over the place. THankfully, many of those international students overlook us and go to the NH coast for their swimming experience, with all those green bugs and all. Most MA natives end up in Newport, anyway- when they're sick of all that crazy traffic on the Cape; anyone west of Worcester goes to Misquamicut anyways; its like three hours closer than Cape beaches. Boston is a quaint NE city, like Prov-in terms of culture, neither can compare to NYC- of course.

Geographically, the state is very removed from the Cape, after all it takes nearly two hours to get to the lower cape.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:43 AM

564 posts, read 1,770,546 times
Have you even visited the area?

Old 12-30-2009, 10:08 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,856,280 times
Gee, that wasn't a loaded question!

I would dare say that, given its size, Providence has just as much culture as Boston. In fact, if you prefer smaller cities (which believe it or not, some of us do) you will inevitably choose Providence over Boston.

Rhode Island beaches are much nicer than Cape Cod, IMHO, and the water is much warmer - for longer periods. In fact, the weather in general is often warmer in Rhode Island than in MA throughout the year.

I have to say though, reading over your question again it looks more like a statement than an honest inquiry.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:13 AM

335 posts, read 902,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryDude View Post
Have you even visited the area?
I am wondering too. I lived in RI until age 23 (and might go back someday should there be a job for me there, ha!) and of course like many families there all our generations are born and raised there. Anyway, RI definitely has its own quirky personality and I never really identified with MA much.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:37 PM

8,671 posts, read 13,677,753 times
Quote: "Is Rhode island just too small to have it's own identity, be its own destination, independent of Massachusetts?"

The answer to your question is a resounding no.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:08 PM

132 posts, read 238,611 times
Rhode Island has its own distinct personality which is nothing like Boston's. Also, I would not consider CT to be like NY at all, nor would I consider RI all that laid back compared to CT.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:05 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,166,922 times
I can't imagine many people go from the Providence area to Boston on a daily basis. A handful yes, being a full blown suburb no.

If anything, there's a number of towns in Mass. which are suburbs of Providence - such as Attleboro, Seekonk, Swansea, can argue Fall River too.

Much of Connecticut is also independent of the New York sphere of influence. Much of eastern Connecticut is closer to Boston than New York. But yet nowhere in Connecticut is a suburb of Boston.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:02 PM

11,297 posts, read 19,858,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
I can't imagine many people go from the Providence area to Boston on a daily basis. A handful yes, being a full blown suburb no.

If anything, there's a number of towns in Mass. which are suburbs of Providence - such as Attleboro, Seekonk, Swansea, can argue Fall River too.
Good points. I'd add that you don't even need to argue Fall River... it's a city in Providence's metro area. It's VERY close and almost entirely aligned with Providence. Somerset, Swansea, Seekonk, etc are all suburbs with close ties to Providence. Technically, the Providence metro extends as far East as New Bedford, but I consider that more of a Satellite City to Boston/Providence as it's really on the fringe of the area and has more of an independent feel than Fall River.

In short, while Providence may be a "satellite" of Boston, it's not a suburb... it's a relatively autonomous urban area.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:50 AM

1,539 posts, read 2,852,569 times
[quote=Lowerdeck;12337498]I can't imagine many people go from the Providence area to Boston on a daily basis. A handful yes, being a full blown suburb no.

Boston is a top 10 metro area and Providence is number #37. Many towns overlap such as Wrenthem, Sharon, Blackstone, Bellingham, Plainville, etc. These towns are part of the Boston metro area, but could easily be part of the Providence metro area.

The Providence-Boston MBTA line has 16 M-F trains with 6 every morning just for commuters. Between Providence and the So. Attleboro stations(also serving Rhode island)1000 daily commuters to Boston. The line also has 300 daily commuters into Providence. This does not include those who travel by car and bus in both directions. Traffic on the 45 mile stretch of I-95 between the two cities can often be a nightmare during commute hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island