U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 06:44 AM

65 posts, read 152,946 times
Default Providence to Worcester Commute

Hello everyone. I may be getting a job in Worcester, but really want to live in Providence. Does anyone make that work commute? Is it reasonable? MapQuest says it's about 40 miles and takes 50 minutes. That makes for a long ride to and from work everyday...

Is there any kind of daily commuter bus or rail?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 12:48 PM

113 posts, read 197,269 times
I make that commute now and again. It is not bad at all - the traffic is light to moderate on 146 until you hit route 290. I never get on 290 and just navigate city streets from there to get to my work. To shorten your commute I recommend living near 146 in Providence. For example, check housing in the north end of Providence or even North Providence itself, both of which are close to the 146 on ramp.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:14 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,654,702 times
not a bad commute for most part but fyi 146 is pothole central and may do a number on your car.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:35 PM

113 posts, read 197,269 times
Amen to that. 146 is a prime example of Rhody ranking near last in percentage of revenue it spends on road repair. A friend was visiting and asked why there were so many car garages/mechanic shops around and it dawned on me - because the roads are so bad!

Old 01-21-2010, 01:38 PM

thank you everyone, for the input! much appreciated. fortunately for me, i'm used to crappy roads!

Old 01-24-2010, 10:11 AM

984 posts, read 1,184,618 times
You'd be doing a reverse commute, as most of the people are coming from Worcester into Providence. My boss used to live north of Worcester and made the commute into Providence everyday, but he would leave extra early to be at work by 7:30-8. This prevented him from hitting most of the traffic. But traffic going the opposite direction is not as bad.

Unfortunately, there is currently no commuter rail. I am not sure about a bus. There might be something you can take from Woonsocket to Worcester. I know you can take RIPTA from Providence to Woonsocket, but I'm not sure how frequent it is. I am pretty sure the state, along with MA, is studying the possibility of a commuter rail between Worcester and Providence though.

I make the drive from Providence to Worcester occasionally for day long conferences and it's not horrible (the next one is next week, I'll let you know what the drive is like).

Old 01-25-2010, 06:50 PM

thank you for the info. much appreciated! i also have an interview in west boylston. looks like it's about an hour ride (from providence), which is a little less appealing. i've been wanting to live in providence, but am starting to think more about worcester. i've just heard so many bad things about worcester... i'm not sure what to do.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv.ny View Post
thank you for the info. much appreciated! i also have an interview in west boylston. looks like it's about an hour ride (from providence), which is a little less appealing. i've been wanting to live in providence, but am starting to think more about worcester. i've just heard so many bad things about worcester... i'm not sure what to do.
Good luck whatever you decide. Worcester is definitely not as nice as Providence, though it is getting slowly better.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:43 PM

anyone ever do a work commute from providence to newton, mass?

Old 02-02-2010, 02:53 PM

That would be worse than Providence to Worcester, though I have driven up to Medford during the morning rush hour and it wasn't horrible (I took the same route you would to get to Newton). There's some traffic by the 95/93 interchange and usually some more around the Mass Pike, but it's generally not horrible because you're far enough outside of Boston. Coming back will see traffic in the same places and also some getting into Providence.

I actually just did the Providence to Worcester trip yesterday morning, leaving Providence around 7:35. I was in Worcester by 8:20. I don't know if traffic would be worse later in the rush hour or not, but it was smooth sailing there and back (left Worcester around 2:45, back in Providence by 3:30). The trip to Newton would take at least an hour, though probably not much more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island