Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 12:20 PM

986 posts, read 2,333,930 times

Advertisements

Matty: You should check parts of Cranston, Warwick, Johnston, Lincoln. If you want more land, the farther you are from Providence, the better, but you start to lack some of your other wants as you get out there. I think what you'll have to cut down on is the lot size. You might actually consider a smaller yard, but a park within walking distance for your kids to kick the ball around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Just as an aside....if someone wanted to live in Providence or immediate vicinity...is it possible to get a 2-3 bedroom for under 200K? Would that be a serious dilipitated mess or bank-owned property with fixing up....or is it possible to find something under 200K that would be immediately livable as well?
I bought a 2BR house for under $200k just over a year ago. Move-in condition, all we did was paint 3 rooms. We did have skylights replaced after we found out they were drafty, but by no means was the house a fixer-upper. We haven't done any other work to it, though we plan on doing some stuff to it. I think we found a needle in a haystack, but that doesn't mean others like it don't exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 10:51 AM

49 posts, read 114,575 times
I was thinking the same thing!! Are you in Greenwood Proper in Warwick? We are and LOVE it! We have a huge Halloween Parade eavery year, the elementary school is located smack in the middle of the neighborhood, pretty big fenced yards, mostly capes and ranches a few colonials. Worth it to look into! Funny, because we may be moving to Florida!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch10 View Post
Sounds a lot like my neighborhood in Warwick...
1.Suburb: Ice Cream man comes same time every evening, I know because my daughters make sure I hear it. Trick or Treating.. I would argue it's the best in the state. Not too many .5 acre lots in the neighborhood (mine is 1/3) but after living in eastern Cranston for a few year 1/3 acre seems huge.
2.Supermarket: They just built a Stop and Shop and a Lowes less than a mile away. We are also a few minutes from a Whole Food's a Trader Joes and a Shaw's market.
3.Middle Class: I grew up here and one of the main reasons I moved back was the middle class feel of the neighborhood.. It's an established neighborhood, the homes are smaller 1400-2400 ft but people take care of their property and it's a great place to raise kids.
4.Small downtown: Warwick is more a collection of villages, most of them have small down towns.
5.Community youth,soccer,fishing,gymnastics: Yes to all of them.
6.Schools: The elementary schools are good.. Warwick has 3 High Schools, I live in a neighborhood that feeds into Toll Gate HS (which used to mean something, not so sure if it still does). The good news is that there are plenty of Catholic School options.
7. I've lived in RI for going on 35 years and the only time I see the Confederate flag is when I visit my sister up in New Hampshire.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:05 PM

100 posts, read 466,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EleciaF View Post
I was thinking the same thing!! Are you in Greenwood Proper in Warwick? We are and LOVE it! We have a huge Halloween Parade eavery year, the elementary school is located smack in the middle of the neighborhood, pretty big fenced yards, mostly capes and ranches a few colonials. Worth it to look into! Funny, because we may be moving to Florida!!
How did you guess??

Old 03-03-2010, 01:11 PM
jpq

48 posts, read 150,143 times
Check out North Smithfield. Let me know if you want the name of an excellent local realtor.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:44 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyt View Post
Thanks for the feedback. If you are looking for more specific info, I am looking for:
1. Suburb : Streets and developments that the icecream man comes down in the summer, houses are close enough to go trick or treating in the fall, but my son can kick a soccerball in the backyard without breaking the neighbor's window.
2. A major supermarket, Lowes, Starbucks is no more than 15 min away...but not a land of minimalls.
3. A middle-class, white collar neighborhood with the household income is 70-100k.
4. A small downtown area with a Norman Rockwell feel.
5. Community youth soccer, parks, fishing, gymnastics.
6. A good public school with option for catholic private school.

These are not in any particular order....and more are sure to come.
Thank you.
This sounds like every suburb in the US. Take your pick, you can't go wrong.

I find it interesting that so many people want to move to quant New England towns, but yet want all of the chain and big box stores and other convinces from where they came.

A major supermarket? Would a regional chain be major enough? Starbucks? Are you serious? What is wrong with local coffee shops? Or do you need your 800 calorie coffee flavored syrup drink?

How can you have a Lowe's and a Norman Rockwell feel?

Old 03-03-2010, 11:49 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
I know there are DDs in convenient places but I have no idea as to burnedcoffeebucks - I will do without coffee before I have a cup of their evil brew. Besides, Rhode Island has some really great coffee places, not just the chains.

Venturing out to other places just might have you finding the best danged donuts on the planet. It's located on the North Kingstown/EG border and I won't say anymore. But I do drive up there from NYC every 3-4 months for my fix.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:17 PM

8 posts, read 42,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
This sounds like every suburb in the US. Take your pick, you can't go wrong.

I find it interesting that so many people want to move to quant New England towns, but yet want all of the chain and big box stores and other convinces from where they came.

A major supermarket? Would a regional chain be major enough? Starbucks? Are you serious? What is wrong with local coffee shops? Or do you need your 800 calorie coffee flavored syrup drink?

How can you have a Lowe's and a Norman Rockwell feel?
I came from a new england town. So I know there are "big box stores" there.

A major supermarker....not Joe's meat marker (or whatever I saw in Coventry)....Shaws...Stop/Shop....and such

You can have Lowe's and Norman Rockwell feel. Plymouth has a Lowes...BJs...Dicks Sporting...la la la...and 15 min away has a nice downtown area with local shops. Doesn't have to be right on top of eachother....but I do not want to drive 40 min to browse Lowes.

Local Coffee shops are great. I personally loved the BeeHive in Pittsburgh,PA. But...I also love my grande white chocolate mocha from time to time. (and starbucks also spends big $$ researching areas that can spend $4.00 for a "800 calorie coffee flavored syrup drink" and I want to be in that area.)

Old 03-14-2010, 08:25 PM

8 posts, read 42,569 times
Upon millions of hours of researching realtor sites...zillow...riliving.com...I am no closer to finding a new place to relocate. So many options....In Jacksonville...at least I can knock out 3/4 of the city. In RI...it seems the lines are not as clear. By decreasing lot size...I have found beautiful 2 story homes that meet my criteria. I am not worried about a little repair work....mudding drywall...new flooring... I am looking specifically in North Kingstown, Warrwick and parts of Cranston. Where is Greenwood proper?

I guess my new questions are.....(and i know this is incredibly vague):
1. If you were to define each of the above (all 3) in 2 sentences or less in a general way....what would it be?
2. What are the areas of each of the above would you avoid (around this street...or North of the highway....or none...) i am a realist. I know if the mean is 250,000 and I find a 195,000 that is probably in a less desirable area....BUT I also know that some family's are either hardships or just want to dump to leave (I am almost at a point of just lowering my home to sell quick so I can relocate sooner).

*sorry about my poor spelling*

Last edited by mattyt; 03-14-2010 at 08:41 PM..

Old 03-15-2010, 12:27 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
North Kingstown: southern half - A little bit country with an incredible family town beach, lots of activities and a great 4th of July event-filled day. Near enough to everything (north to shopping and south to bigger beaches) and a short drive to Allie's Donuts. For me, I'd stay out of the north end, but that's because I want more country-feel - if you want more city, north end is for you. Wickford (village) is going to be pricey and you have to worry about flooding now and then.

Warwick, Greenwood is there: city (small scale) a bay beach (not for me though) and a lake (also not for me). All the conveniences of a city; not much country left but some areas have that small-town feel. Buttonwoods used to be cute, haven't been there in a long long time. Warwick's too city for me. Avoid the north end along Route 1.

Cranston - like Warwick but less busy - and no airport or beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyt View Post
Upon millions of hours of researching realtor sites...zillow...riliving.com...I am no closer to finding a new place to relocate. So many options....In Jacksonville...at least I can knock out 3/4 of the city. In RI...it seems the lines are not as clear. By decreasing lot size...I have found beautiful 2 story homes that meet my criteria. I am not worried about a little repair work....mudding drywall...new flooring... I am looking specifically in North Kingstown, Warrwick and parts of Cranston. Where is Greenwood proper?

I guess my new questions are.....(and i know this is incredibly vague):
1. If you were to define each of the above (all 3) in 2 sentences or less in a general way....what would it be?
2. What are the areas of each of the above would you avoid (around this street...or North of the highway....or none...) i am a realist. I know if the mean is 250,000 and I find a 195,000 that is probably in a less desirable area....BUT I also know that some family's are either hardships or just want to dump to leave (I am almost at a point of just lowering my home to sell quick so I can relocate sooner).

*sorry about my poor spelling*

Old 03-15-2010, 07:28 AM

9,288 posts, read 14,899,623 times
If I were you, I would abandon the idea of necessarily buying in the area in which you plan to rent. Believe me, your child will survive transferring to a different school.

I'd rent in a nice place some where, maybe for a year, and take every weekend to drive around the state looking at various neighborhoods. There is so much to see in RI, and every town has its own character and feel. I think the chance of making a mistake by buying in the wrong place for you is too great to try to settle on a few areas at this point.

BTW, I would definitely not buy without exploring the East Bay!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island