Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 01:38 PM

30 posts, read 133,330 times

Advertisements

Must be pretty small if there is only one coffee shop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 02:59 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
Everywhere is commuting distance to Providence. public transportation is also available but keep in mind that the further from Providence, while there is public transportation, it is not as frequent. So, with that in mind, I recommend Wickford (village in town of North Kingstown), East Greenwich, Coventry, Exeter even. While Pawtuxet is a cute village, it is smack dab in the middle of 2 cities, Warwick, Cranston, and not close to nature as in trails and hiking areas. I think you might also like Bristol on the east bay but I've always been partial to the west bay.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:56 PM

688 posts, read 2,134,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxHopeful1xx View Post
Must be pretty small if there is only one coffee shop
Yes, it's small. But it's a special coffee shop!

Old 03-27-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Everywhere is commuting distance to Providence. public transportation is also available but keep in mind that the further from Providence, while there is public transportation, it is not as frequent. So, with that in mind, I recommend Wickford (village in town of North Kingstown), East Greenwich, Coventry, Exeter even. While Pawtuxet is a cute village, it is smack dab in the middle of 2 cities, Warwick, Cranston, and not close to nature as in trails and hiking areas. I think you might also like Bristol on the east bay but I've always been partial to the west bay.
Thanks! So are the other areas you mentioned close to nature?

Old 03-28-2010, 10:16 AM

394 posts, read 1,397,414 times
Coventry and Exeter are, but these are both sort of rural country towns and people, like a lot of rural RI. The coastal areas are different; close to nature means close to beaches, wildlife refuges, etc. but that is in the southern part of the state- far from Prov. Frankly there is nothing close to Prov that has exactly what you are looking for; this is the second most densely populated state in the us next to NJ with the majority of that population in the Providence urban corridor.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:53 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxHopeful1xx View Post
Thanks! So are the other areas you mentioned close to nature?
YES

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrasurf View Post
Coventry and Exeter are, but these are both sort of rural country towns and people, like a lot of rural RI. The coastal areas are different; close to nature means close to beaches, wildlife refuges, etc. but that is in the southern part of the state- far from Prov. Frankly there is nothing close to Prov that has exactly what you are looking for; this is the second most densely populated state in the us next to NJ with the majority of that population in the Providence urban corridor.

Wow - guess you haven't been to North Kingstown much (or most of South County for that matter). North Kingstown has, in addition to the water, huge areas of woods for hiking a 2 minute drive out of Wickford - in fact, one area is accessible right off of Ten Rod Road - it's the Belleville Pond area. There is a main entrance further south just off Route 4. I used to take my cub scouts in there once a year but living right off Ten Rod Rd, we went in through the old railroad access. Additionally, N. Kingstown/Wickford is only a 10 minute drive from Exeter, a 20 minute drive to snow skiing. My boys were very much into hiking and we could be in a forest in a matter of minutes. There are also great places to camp (and hike and fish/boat in a lake) within a 20 minute drive.

Wickford village is on the water - and it has a wonderful town beach where I spent most of my summer days. It also has a great library which we visited 2-3 times a week during the summer, less often non-summer months.

I recommend looking at a google map of the Wickford area.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:45 PM

394 posts, read 1,397,414 times
Actually NY Annie, I know NK by the back of my hand; having lived in Wickford as a toddler, and gone to NKHS. I would not say it is close enough to Providence or really a gay friendly community. I would recommend the Kingston area- our favorite remember; but that is even further away. Maybe these girls should give up hiking and take up some water sports, or live with the bike paths. Or move near Arcadia.

Last edited by terrasurf; 03-28-2010 at 01:56 PM..

Old 03-28-2010, 01:48 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,668,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post
Welcome to the area. To answer your question I know of several married gay couples in Attleboro. A suburb of Providence but in MA to take advantage of the gay marrage law. But really, anywhere in metro providence. Towns west of providence such as Situate, North Smithfield ect. along 295 meet your requirements as well. You shouldn't have any issues. Providence has a large LGBT community with lots of activities and events through out the year.

as a resource check out the local RI LGBT Community magazine site. Lots of scheduled events and activities to meet new people.
Options > Home (http://www.optionsri.org/default.aspx - broken link)
Annie:

If you truly have the option of going to either Boston or RI, you should skip RI, pass Go, and go directly to Boston. Situate (sp.) and North Smithfield are ex-urban towns with little for same-sex partners to do (or straight people for that matter). Honestly, you should be looking at a place like Jamaica Plain in Boston if you truly have a choice between Boston and Providence. JP is a lesbian magnet with the kind of walkable village center that you'd appreciate (I'm sure). And, of course, there's the rest of Boston to consider with many more options than you'll find in RI.

If you're looking at RI, I'd look closer in - either in Providence (on the East Side, preferably) or a place like Edgewood in Cranston.

But, really, if you truly are looking for an NE rural lesbian experience, you should be looking at Northampton (in MA), but I'm sure you know that already . Unfortunately, the combination of rural living with access to good public transit is somewhat oxymoronic - it simply doesn't exist.

BTW: Business analyst and medical specialty opportunities are great in Eastern Mass., and pretty good in RI too, should you choose to live there.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by rranger; 03-28-2010 at 02:00 PM..

Old 03-29-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanSpy View Post
Yes, it's small. But it's a special coffee shop!
I guess you must own it I would really like to check out the area. Do you know of any daily rentals near there that might have a kitchenette? I am having trouble finding anything.

Thanks again!!

Old 03-29-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
Annie:

If you truly have the option of going to either Boston or RI, you should skip RI, pass Go, and go directly to Boston. Situate (sp.) and North Smithfield are ex-urban towns with little for same-sex partners to do (or straight people for that matter). Honestly, you should be looking at a place like Jamaica Plain in Boston if you truly have a choice between Boston and Providence. JP is a lesbian magnet with the kind of walkable village center that you'd appreciate (I'm sure). And, of course, there's the rest of Boston to consider with many more options than you'll find in RI.

If you're looking at RI, I'd look closer in - either in Providence (on the East Side, preferably) or a place like Edgewood in Cranston.

But, really, if you truly are looking for an NE rural lesbian experience, you should be looking at Northampton (in MA), but I'm sure you know that already . Unfortunately, the combination of rural living with access to good public transit is somewhat oxymoronic - it simply doesn't exist.

BTW: Business analyst and medical specialty opportunities are great in Eastern Mass., and pretty good in RI too, should you choose to live there.

I hope this helps.
Thanks so much!! This was really helpful. I guess I will visit Boston and Providence and see how I feel. I definitely want to check out JP, I just think it might be a bit too urban. It is just so frustrating because it seems like all fo the gay friendly areas are in the city and I am more of a small town girl. I guess it is like that everywhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island