Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2010, 12:52 PM

4 posts, read 19,015 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

At the end of June I'll be moving to the Providence area to start a new job and I was hoping to get some feedback. I've looked through some threads and already learned some good stuff.

A little background on my self first: I'm 24 and work in an accounting program with my company who will be sending me to work at one of our plants in Warwick. Originally from Chicago, but went to school in Indiana, lived a year in South Carolina and now currently in central Illinois (Bloomington).

I'm pretty liberal and enjoy ethnic influences (particularly in regards to food, I'll try anything). I definitely prefer an urban environment, with the ability to walk to stores and restaurants and so on.

I'm also very active, I train for triathlons and will be running, biking or swimming 6-7 days a week.

One of my new coworkers suggested the Federal Hill area and it seems like a good fit because it'll be 15-20min to work and seems like it has good urban culture and it's not particularly expensive from what I gather on Craigslist.

Do you think Federal Hill is a good fit for me? Are there other neighborhoods or areas that you think would work around Warwick?

It seems like there are a lot of great bike trails in RI, so I'm excited about that. Where are the closest beaches to Warwick?

Any other suggestions or advice to take into account with my move?

I appreciate your help in advance! Look forward to hear back, thanks.

Robert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 04:41 PM

9,212 posts, read 14,763,261 times
Warwick is only 15-20 min away from loads of neighborhoods but for a 24 yr old I'd say the east side of Providence or Fed Hill would work well.

Search this forum for loads of descriptions of the East Side.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:58 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,027,229 times
Let me preface this with: I grew up on the Jersey shore - we had our own beach house ON the beach - nice, clean water across from Sandy Hook where the bay met the river - tides but not ocean waves, depth if you wanted, clean beach (well it was private).

Warwick is on the bay and most of the beaches are on inlets off the bay - the upper bay.

City Park/Buttonwoods Beach - my children are in their 30s - back when they were small, I took them there once - never again. That WAS over 30 years ago - probably a lot different now.

Conimicut Point Beach - we went there a few times - nothing too exciting

Goddard Park - first, you have drive into East G, then you find the entrance to the park and yo drive forever - there's the beach - nothing special - it's sand and water - on an inlet - similar to Buttonwoods.

Gorton Pond - it smells like fish - it's a pond - went once

Oakland Beach - another inlet

If you want decent beaches, you will head south - North Kingstown has a nice town beach - 2 in fact, north and south, but I don't know if they are open to non-residents. Saunderstown has some beaches, but I don't know if they are public.

We moved out of Warwick when my children were still babies and the South Kingstown town beach was where my kids and I were from sunup to sundown, 7 days a week for almost 3 months. Then we moved south and went to the "big" beaches of South Kingstown.

Check the maps to see the beach locations - also google RI Beaches, west bay.

If you're looking for "walk to places" in Providence, Federal Hill and the East Side (not East Providence) are where you'll want to be - also for eclectic food choices.

You won't find many places in Warwick that are "walk to" a variety of dining choices.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:54 PM

15 posts, read 43,278 times
Hi

I love living here on east side of providence, however I am missing a nice beach. But then again, I can drive half an hour to go to a really nice beach if I have to...

Old 05-31-2010, 07:35 PM

4 posts, read 19,015 times
Thanks for the help all. Especially the info on the beaches Annie. I'll be looking in that East side area for sure I think. Let you know what I end up doing or if I have more questions.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:05 PM

15 posts, read 43,278 times
Freemonty, if you ever have any questions, please feel free to contact me. I live in the heart of East Side, Providence.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:01 AM

66 posts, read 220,047 times
I would add that if you have your heart set on Providence and are a self-described yuppie I would advocate that the East Side is probably where you would be happiest. You can run/jog there quite easily and a bit more safely than many other Providence neighborhoods.

I would avoid Federal Hill as a residence location. Though a very pleasant place to eat out, get a drink, socialize, etc., the nicest apartments are just as expensive as the East Side locations and Federal Hill can be very loud. The cheaper apartments, well, I would just avoid.

Never mind that parking up there is less convenient if you have a car and it can get very congested during popular days to go up there and hang around.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:34 AM

13 posts, read 29,279 times
I'd consider living downtown providence. From someone who bikes 4,000 miles a year you can door to door some amazing rides. Plus you have all the arts culture and walkability any great city should offer. The Westminster lofts are at the center of a hip urban community, i've called home over the past five years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island