Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 10:52 PM

5 posts, read 18,665 times

Advertisements

Hello, guys

Here is another couple who is moving up to Warwick, RI from Dallas, TX. My working location will be in the zip code of 02886. I am wondering if anybody knows any nice 1b1b apt in that area which are both affordable (not to be over $1000) and nice. Someone gave me a list of recommendations.

Shady Oaks
33 Old Carriage Road
West Warwick, RI 02893

Cowesett Hills
3595 Post Road
Warwick, RI 02886

Friendly Community
90 94 Pontiac Avenue, Cranston

Western Hills Village
2-9 Western Hills Lane, Cranston

Parkside Apartments
1690 Broad Street, Cranston

Norwood Avenue Apartment Homes
90 Norwood Avenue, Cranston

Garden Village Apartments
935 Pontiac Avenue, Cranston

Northern Forest Four Seasons
26 Arthur Avenue, Providence

Sutterfield
12 South Lane, Providence

Pilgrim Park
135 Pilgrim Avenue, Coventry

Bayside Country Club
60 Sandy Lane, Warwick

Bay View Estates
2121 West Main Road, Portsmouth

I am wondering which one of these sounds the most promising and price/value the best. Thank you guys and I am really expecting the new life in RI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 08:38 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
You've got a couple recommendations for Providence, 1 for Coventry, and even 1 for Portsmouth. Whoever gave you Portsmouth is nuts! That's at least a 1 hr drive during rush hour. I wouldn't do Providence or Coventry either from 02886 which is down Sandy Lane - (I lived in the Bayside CC apts many years ago - 35+). In order to get out of 02886 zip, if you're down near Rocky Pt or the end of Sandy Lane or even West Shore Rd, you've got a drive to get to any of the highways: you can take Warwick Ave but it's busy and lots of stoplights. If you head up through Apponaug to get to 95 or Rte 2/5 or to head to Cowesset, that traffic 35 years ago was nasty - I can't imagine what it is now. some parts are 1 lane each way, lots of lights, YUCK! Might as well live in NYC (Manhattan!).

It really depends on your specific location - if you have main/cross streets near where you're going to be working, that would help people give you more details, but I'd throw out the Portsmouth one without even a 2nd thought.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:17 AM

Hello, Annie

Thanks a lot for your advice on the portsmouth. I will definitely take if off from my list. Actually I am focusing on the first few either in WW/Warwick/Cranston. Do you have any idea about those communities or do you have any recommendations based on your experience? THanks a lot.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:27 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
I think Cowesset is a great area but again, that's thru Apponaug (past the town hall, make a left) and the same with the WWarwick apts. Other than getting thru Apponaug during rush hour, it's not as bad as trying to get up into Cranston. Again, it's a matter of degrees. From Warwick Ave at Sandy Lane, it'll probably only be a half hour which really isn't all that bad. And Cowesset is nice because it's also close to EG which is a great little old town plus - this is MY prejudice showing - you're closer to South County and really great beaches (I don't include Goddard Park), but with the WWarwick and Cowesset, you're not far at all from shopping and highways. As for Sandy Lane, it's a nice area but it does back up to a private high school and we used to hear the football games and other outdoor activities fall and spring - not a problem as nothing was late. Our apt and building were right on the edge and only about 100 yards from the football field through trees. We lived there in the early 70s and the buildings were brand new - I can't comment on them now.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:43 AM

66 posts, read 220,756 times
There are several high-quality apartment complexes in the East Greenwich/Cowesett area that are along or close to Route 2 (Quaker Lane) such as Briarwood Meadows at 940 Quaker Lane.

try briarwoodmeadows apartments dot com.

A 1-bed on their website goes for 950/mo it says...
Just an example. I've never lived there and I don't work for them, lol...

There are several areas of East Greenwich, Warwick, and West Warwick that are very close to 02886 with some more moderately-priced places as well. There are a LOT of complexes, but if 02886 is your work zip, use Route 2 from North Kingstown to Warwick as your proximity-meter.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:14 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
From the list you provided, AVOID the following:
Shady Oaks in W. Warwick
Friendly Community
Parkside
Norwood Ave

None of the above are very nice. Cowesett Hills is pretty nice and Bayside is fine as well. Another recommendation is the Chateaux Apartments on Oaklawn Ave in Cranston. Very very nice, great location!

Old 06-03-2010, 10:45 AM

Thanks cmj912. Do you know the current range of price for 1b1b (500-700sqft)? Thank you all.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:51 AM

That's good to hear about these. Thank you. I will definitely checkout Chateaux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
From the list you provided, AVOID the following:
Shady Oaks in W. Warwick
Friendly Community
Parkside
Norwood Ave

None of the above are very nice. Cowesett Hills is pretty nice and Bayside is fine as well. Another recommendation is the Chateaux Apartments on Oaklawn Ave in Cranston. Very very nice, great location!

Old 06-03-2010, 01:32 PM

102 posts, read 393,197 times
Check out Royal Crest Estates which is located in zip 02886 in Warwick. Its office address is Cedar Pond Dr but it fronts on Centreville Rd (Rt. 117) 3 minutes from Rt2, 95, and 1. I am very familiar since a friend lived there for years. They have a wide range of apartment sizes and yes you can get 1 bed 1 bath 700 sq ft range for under $1,000 monthly -- if any vacancies. Its a beautiful, park like setting with ponds and brook and tennis.

Cowesett Hills also 02886 is a heavily wooded park like setting, pond, rec hall, tennis, very nice.

Don't be scared away by chatter about drive times. I live in Waarwick and drive its roads every day-- the time to drive from the extreme east of Warwick (Warwick NEck) along rt 117 thru Olde Warwick, Wildes Corner, Buttonwoods, south Greenwood, thru Apponaug to Rt.2 near the west border is usually around 15 minutes. at 35 posted speed, and includes exactly 10 short traffic lights.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:11 PM

2 posts, read 10,493 times
One apt complex you listed, Bayside is a nice complex. I have a friend living there now and I'm moving there next month. The apt sizes are around 700 sq. ft for 1br and they all have a deck/patio. The cost is around $900/month and includes heat, gas, water. All you have to pay is your electric and cable/internet. It is a pet friendly complex as well. You pay a pet addendum up front but there are no additional fees after that. Be sure to ask about any move in specials they have. Sometimes they'll offer one month free up front or you can spread it out over the length of the lease. They even gave me a bottle of wine just for looking at an apt! If you choose Bayside, let me know...I could certainly use a referral reward! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island