Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2010, 06:15 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,775,663 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking I may take the bait!

I've heard all of the horrible things about River City Real Estate (RCRE) but their prices are soooo affordable as compared to other downtown area rentals.

Of course, I have heard all of the negative things about RCRE. I've seen their horrendous BBB rating. I've heard the horror stories from residents...but I am still considering taking the plunge. At this point I'm sure you have all dismissed me as an idiot for even continuing but I think I have two advantages over "typical" RCRE tenants.

1. I am much, much, cleaner and more responsible than most college students I know. It is ridiculously surprising how bad some college students (my friends..lol) keep their apartments. One of my friends (who I am staying with at the moment) has managed to bust several windows in the apartment and somehow created a huge dent in the door. Then they complain about losing their security deposits at the end of the lease.
  2. I am pretty knowledgeable about Landlord-Tenant laws, contract law, real estate law, etc. I would say I am more knowledgeable about the legal side of things than the average renter (though I am still trying to get with the actual "process" of renting). I know my rights as a renter but also know my responsibilities.
In my head, I'm thinking I could probably handle a less-than-competent management company as long as I get everything in writing, pay rent on time, respect the property, take lots of pictures, etc. I think I could even tolerate the verbal abuse and unethical behavior that they have been accused of in the past.

Or is this just a headache in the making? Maybe this is just desperation talking. I can get a 2br, 2ba (w/ parking) with RCRE for less than a 1br with most any other company. I'm thinking the several hundred $$ per month savings may be worth a bit of hassle.

What do you think?

As a second part to this thread: Can anyone recommend any property owners, managers or landlords that specialize in properties close (w/in walking distance) to downtown RIC and VCU?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 10:54 AM

631 posts, read 1,288,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
I'm thinking I may take the bait!

I've heard all of the horrible things about River City Real Estate (RCRE) but their prices are soooo affordable as compared to other downtown area rentals.

Of course, I have heard all of the negative things about RCRE. I've seen their horrendous BBB rating. I've heard the horror stories from residents...but I am still considering taking the plunge. At this point I'm sure you have all dismissed me as an idiot for even continuing but I think I have two advantages over "typical" RCRE tenants.

1. I am much, much, cleaner and more responsible than most college students I know. It is ridiculously surprising how bad some college students (my friends..lol) keep their apartments. One of my friends (who I am staying with at the moment) has managed to bust several windows in the apartment and somehow created a huge dent in the door. Then they complain about losing their security deposits at the end of the lease.
  2. I am pretty knowledgeable about Landlord-Tenant laws, contract law, real estate law, etc. I would say I am more knowledgeable about the legal side of things than the average renter (though I am still trying to get with the actual "process" of renting). I know my rights as a renter but also know my responsibilities.
In my head, I'm thinking I could probably handle a less-than-competent management company as long as I get everything in writing, pay rent on time, respect the property, take lots of pictures, etc. I think I could even tolerate the verbal abuse and unethical behavior that they have been accused of in the past.

Or is this just a headache in the making? Maybe this is just desperation talking. I can get a 2br, 2ba (w/ parking) with RCRE for less than a 1br with most any other company. I'm thinking the several hundred $$ per month savings may be worth a bit of hassle.

What do you think?

As a second part to this thread: Can anyone recommend any property owners, managers or landlords that specialize in properties close (w/in walking distance) to downtown RIC and VCU?

Thanks.

In response to your two points:

1. Doesn't matter, don't expect to get your security deposit back (at least not all of it)
2. This may help you but it won't be easy, you'll have to prove it to them before they'll listen to you

However given their low prices it may indeed be worth it depending on your budget and willingness to live in a space with no insulation and tons of bugs. Good luck!

Old 07-12-2010, 02:30 PM

418 posts, read 1,045,992 times
I saw my son's move out inspection report - detailing why they were getting almost none of their 1500 dollar deposit back after 5 years of the main tenant having the place - it was ridiculous. So, if you can mentally just write off the security deposit and expect no service or repairs then maybe the low prices can balance it out. My son hated dealing with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: