Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 01:12 PM

631 posts, read 1,290,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewhann View Post
I too am a SWF. I wouldn't live downtown or in the fan again for anything. Way too much crime.

The west end is great! Lots to do right there and a short ride into downtown if you want it.
What kinds of crime have you experienced first hand living downtown? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 03:20 PM

126 posts, read 483,057 times
1. Murder 2 streets over
2. Heard gun shots of unspecified location several times
3. Neighbor got robbed
4. Several cars got broken into & things stolen

I also experienced a homeless person on my front porch.

That is just my own personal experience living there for 3 years.

I have a good friend who lives in the GOOD part of Church Hill who has also experienced a good deal of crime. Rapes are not at all uncommon in the lovely little park just two blocks from her house. Cars get their windows smashed in. There was a drive by. Other things I can't think of right now.

I also have a friend who lives in the fan. She too has had the pleasure of having her car window smashed. She hates to go out at night b/c of the people on the street.

Now, I know there are plenty of people who this stuff doesn't bother. Great for them.

But, as a SWF, it just doesn't work for me.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:29 PM

6 posts, read 15,077 times
Thanks for all the replies. I was in town today and looked at a few of the lofts, but I really like the area around that I am assuming is the Museum District near Carytown. After looking at the map again, I don't think I quite got to the West End, but I hope to check the area out tomorrow. I do like the charm of the older homes and hopefully will be able to find the right fit if I end up here. I appreciate all the insight!

Old 07-21-2010, 05:29 PM

20 posts, read 30,395 times
Hi. I am also wondering about the glen allen area and henrico county in general. what school districts are the best around richmond? how's the reputation of henrico county. i'm looking at the area around glen allen hs, byrd middle, twin hickory elementary and crestview elementary because of a potential job. is this generally a safe area? nice area to live? i'd appreciate any advice.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:55 AM

631 posts, read 1,290,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aandb View Post
Hi. I am also wondering about the glen allen area and henrico county in general. what school districts are the best around richmond? how's the reputation of henrico county. i'm looking at the area around glen allen hs, byrd middle, twin hickory elementary and crestview elementary because of a potential job. is this generally a safe area? nice area to live? i'd appreciate any advice.
very safe and very nice area. everything you could possibly need/want is within a few minutes drive. schools are outstanding and the west end as a whole has a great reputation in the area and even people from other parts of the state go to shop there. However, it is very congested and expensive.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:18 AM

170 posts, read 583,360 times
Check out a place called The Estates at Horsepen. It's considered the West End, but it's pretty close to the fan and downtown.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:25 PM

38 posts, read 98,963 times
You should find all of those amenities downtown at one of the renovated lofts apartments minus the free parking. Parking anywhere in the city is a little tight and unless you want to park on the street, you will probably have to pay each month. I like living downtown, it's nice to be able to walk to places. It's probably more dangerous than living in the West End, but there are plenty of SWF's who live downtown and a number of apt's to choose from. Send me a msg if you want some recommendations.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:45 AM

39 posts, read 87,069 times
I currently live downtown after a few months in the Fan. It is living downtown. If you get off street parking your car is fine and for the most part people leave you alone. You will quickly learn where you can go and not got. This is coming from a guy though. My girlfriend hasn't had any problems at all but like any city you take precautions after 8 PM.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:10 PM

180 posts, read 406,548 times
SWF go to suburban Henrico in West End. It has it all. At least go there first before getting involved in the "iffy" places within City Richmond. Say no to downtown, not safe. Neither is Church Hill, Northside or Manchester. Interesting that you are moving to Richmond, we are moving to Charleston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond