Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2007, 06:19 AM

165 posts, read 516,381 times

Advertisements

Hi. My family moved form FL to NJ to be closer to my wife's family and a job opportunity. Living here is killing us and the Mrs. doesn't want to move all the way back to FL. We have narrowed our choices to VA, NC and the N.E., Lehigh Valley portion of PA. The firm I work with has an office in Richmond, but my company just got purchased and the next year seems uncertaint.

So, what's the "real" story on Richmond? We have located a town we like called Midlothian, but are concerned about some of the negativity we have read about the area both for employment and socially. Employment wise it doesn't seem like there is the explosive growth that say Charlotte is having. On the social side I am hearing a lot about the prejudice against Northerners, but at the same time know that there is judgemental people no matter where you go. I lived in NC for a while and there were nice people and not so nice people wherever you went. I saw some neighborhoods that were a bit extreme on the southern side, but they have extreme neighborhoods wherever one goes. Does the good outweigh the bad or is the Richmond area in such a state of decline it isn't worth it?

Opinions are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 09:52 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,316,986 times
IMO, the Richmond area isn't declining at all. Unemployment under 3% and 7 fortune 500 companies (13 total fortune 1000's) with major corporate relocations occurring annually is hardly a state of decline. I recently read that over half of Richmond companies are planning on hiring in the next quarter. Richmond's always been a town where growth comes slower, but steady and mostly manageable. It's not a boom/bust town. Most people don't have a problem with "Northerners" just because they're Northerners. It's those occasional Northerners with the smug attitude or rudeness/impoliteness that bothers people. But there's people like that from every part of the country...

If by extreme neighborhoods you mean rebel flags on the front porch and big red muddy pickup trucks with shotgun racks in every driveway, you won't find that in Midlothian. Good schools, safe area, good shopping etc...

Old 06-24-2007, 10:17 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,842,785 times
I agree with richmondpics. Richmond is a great family place. Easy living with a lot to do. Midlothian is full of transplants from the North, so you won't be singled out. You can purchase a nice home, in a nice neighborhood, and be central to many things.. beach, mountains, DC, rivers, culture, history (williamsburg and appamotox), and more. And the employment picture is pretty darn good. If something happened at your company, and you had to switch jobs, depending on industry you'd be in pretty good shape to land somewhere else.

Shelly

Old 06-24-2007, 10:26 AM

449 posts, read 1,126,248 times
Is anyone familiar with the Goochland/Glen Allen area?? I hear the schools are great in that area! Not sure if I can afford it though. Which schools are more preferable-Henrico, Goochland or Hanover. Are the schools outside of Richmond relatively advanced? Just worried about the rural schools and whether or not they are progressive. Currently in a rural area in NC and very disappointed with the school-its like we've stepped back in time

Old 06-24-2007, 10:47 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,842,785 times
Goochland is a county and a differant school system than Henrico (glen allen is basically in the west part of henrico). You can do some comparisons for schools systems at GreatSchools.net. You can look at Henrico, Goochland, Louisa and Hanover. Western Henrico and Chesterfield County are typically the most sought after. there are all kinds of neighborhoods in Glen Allen, so depending on your budget you may find it there.

Shelly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond