U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-01-2007, 06:14 PM

26 posts, read 101,992 times

Advertisements

Which is better for a young professional to live - Charlottesville or Richmond? How are minorities treated in each place? Crime rate? rents seem to be the same (I am renting for one year first) Which area is more 'affluent?' 'quaint?' 'diverse?' - Any feed back would help - I posted something more detailed ... it amy be too long - sorry - but I thought I would try here since no-one has replied - except in a private message which was not really the feed back I was looking for - no kids - so school districts are not so much an issue - clean air - safety - quality of life - liberal politics ..... friendly ........... the list goes on - I guess what many/most of us look for - where would you prefer to live and why?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 10:44 PM

1,489 posts, read 6,303,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancysi View Post
Which is better for a young professional to live - Charlottesville or Richmond? How are minorities treated in each place? Crime rate? rents seem to be the same (I am renting for one year first) Which area is more 'affluent?' 'quaint?' 'diverse?' - Any feed back would help - I posted something more detailed ... it amy be too long - sorry - but I thought I would try here since no-one has replied - except in a private message which was not really the feed back I was looking for - no kids - so school districts are not so much an issue - clean air - safety - quality of life - liberal politics ..... friendly ........... the list goes on - I guess what many/most of us look for - where would you prefer to live and why?
Both areas are nice but different. Charlottesville is a college town- and most everything is centered around the University of Virginia. Therefore, most of the work force in Charlottesville is employed in some way or other by the University. There are also small businesses there as well. Charlottesville is pretty affluent, and some famous people have lived there. There are professionals there, but its not really as a big market as Richmond. Racial tension in Charlottesville has improved a great deal. There was a little there.
Charlottesville is also slightly cooler than Richmond, and gets a tad more snow. It has an artsy vibe to it as well, as does Richmond.

Neither Richmond or Charlottesville are overly Liberal. But they aren't extremely Conservative either.

Richmond is a more urban environment (of course being a medium sized city). It does offer much more in the way of jobs because its simply larger. It has a growing creative class, and the downtown area has seen a lot of revitilization. There are great restaurants, museums, and shops in Richmond. You can live right in the city. The Fan District has a lot of old Victorian Row Houses that offer affordable rent. Magnolia trees on almost every corner. Monument Ave is one of the most beautiful streets in America.

Overall, I think Richmond would offer more- but there are some drawbacks. The crime in Richmond while not as bad as some say- is a lot lot more than C-ville. Also the air isn't as clean and it doesn't look quite as "pristine" as Charlottesville- a college town at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

That being said, either area is nice. It just depends on what you're looking for. Richmond and Charlottesville are less than an hour apart from each other, so even if you chose one over the other, they would be perfect for day trips and sight seeing.

Good luck.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:27 AM

19 posts, read 71,567 times
One could not live in Charlottesville and commute to Richmond, could they?

Old 07-05-2007, 07:36 AM

737 posts, read 2,755,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahma View Post
I'm sitting in my desk, 2 cubes down from someone who commutes from Charlottesville every day. I work in Innsbrook though, in the west-end, so commuting to downtown would be longer, but he said it takes about 50 minutes... which is nothing compared to how long people commute up I-95 in NoVa.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:22 PM

1,489 posts, read 6,303,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahma View Post
While the drive between Charlottesville and Richmond is only an hour- to do that every day seems stifling to me.

I don't understand people who commute to D.C. from Fredericksburg either.

People should live where they work.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 11,927 times
I have spent a lot of time, both professionally and socially, in C'ville over the last 10 years and I think it's a lovely (small) town. You are very close to mountains and several nice state parks if you like camping and hiking. However, the cost of living (particularly housing) is quite a bit higher than Richmond and many of the available jobs are with the University or financial and retail service industries and are not particularly high paying. I do think it's much more conservative than Richmond, overall, but Richmond is pretty conservative too. Maybe it's just my circles. My husband has been commuting from Richmond to C'ville for 2 years and hates it. From the west end to his office on 29 N (70 miles), it takes 1.25 to 1.5 hours due to heavy traffic in C'ville. He just got an office in Innsbrook and finally can have a life away from work during the week. The reverse commute to the West End of Richmond would probably be more tolerable, if you are into the commuting idea.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:50 PM

1 posts, read 8,394 times
Whoever said Charlottesville is not overly liberal should look at the numbers again. Republicans have been lucky to top 25% in Charlottesville proper the past few elections. The marriage amendment failed by a larger margin in Charlottesville than any other jurisdiction in Virginia. Surrounding Albemarle County used to be somewhat conservative but that is no longer the case. Both Webb and Kaine garnered about 60% of the vote there and the"no vote" got around 60% as well. Since 2004 only one Republican has won the entire county, Virgil Goode in 2004, and that was only by a couple hundred votes out of about 43,000 cast in the county. He later lost Albemarle in the 2006 election by over nine percentage points.

Richmond City is Democratic but I would not describe it is being all that liberal culturally. I would guess that Richmond City's Democratic leanings have more to do with the racial make-up of the city than liberal ideology. It is also worth noting that outside of Richmond City, the metro area is largely Republican. Republicans win by large margins in Hanover, Goochland, and Chesterfield Counties. The margin of Republican victory in Henrico has narrowed (or flipped in some cases) but it is far from being a Democratic stronghold.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:21 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,551,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
While the drive between Charlottesville and Richmond is only an hour- to do that every day seems stifling to me.
The drive on I-64 between Charlottesville and Richmond is BORING! I don't think there is a more boring highway on the East coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond