Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2010, 04:54 PM

4 posts, read 7,382 times

Advertisements

I just got a job offer with better pay, benefits, relocation package, etc. Great opportunity.

The problem is that they need the person to start in January 2011. I have not resigned yet from my current job because there is still some HR paperwork to be completed and then the new company will give me green light to do so. That would leave me with 2-3 weeks max to make some sort of arragements to move. Everything turned out to happen very fast.

My plan is to leave wife and kids behind for 4-6 weeks until I get to know the new area and find a place to live permanently.
Since is the first time I relocate, would this be normal procedure or should I ask for more time?

What other considerations I should have to make this a smooth transition for my family.?

Any suggestion or advice on how to proceed . Help!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 05:22 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,314,460 times
My husband and I have moved LOTS of times in the last 10 years and are about to move to Glen Allen next month. Here is what we have done:

My husband has always gone ahead without us and then we would follow later. This current time we have been living apart for 4 months due to building a home. BUT it has worked out well...we were able to check out the area and be familiar where we wanted to be.

The time before we were apart for a few months as well.

If it were me, I would accept the job, and have your family move with you in a few weeks. As you said, it will give you time to get to know the area, make some friends, and have a better idea of what you want. My personal opinion is you will have a lot of housing options come spring as many people do not list their homes until then. Richmond area new home/construction sales were recently up but resale homes had declined. Mortgage rates are still very low and lets hope they stay that way into the spring season!

We are moving to Glen Allen as we really liked the distance to my husbands work. We had checked our Midlothian as well but felt it was a little further out that where we wanted to be.

Good luck!

Old 11-29-2010, 05:36 PM

383 posts, read 1,016,655 times
Great advice Twinmma

Old 11-29-2010, 08:47 PM

4 posts, read 7,382 times
Twinmma thank you for your feedback. I think I'm on the right trackon this. Hopefully everything worked out well.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond