Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 05:13 PM

68 posts, read 118,358 times

Advertisements

Traffic is horrible. I don't understand how everyone praises Short Pump. SP started out as an exclusive village for liberals with degrees in the early 90's. Now everyone and there mom wants to feel elite. SP is nothing but suburban sprawl with a few high end retailers. Innsbrook would need to be improved to compliment the Pump.

You would think that since so many people commute that there would be other transportation offered besides car, perhaps bus lines along Broad St?

SP is not an ideal location if one have to commute to Richmond everyday. Not to mention the blinding sun in the afternoons heading west.

Chesterfield is starting to gain credibility with it's construction and plans to accomodate new growth. I would be relieved to have other valuable shopping malls outside of SP, but for now this is all we have. Outdoor malls in general is a cheap alternative to conserve. Rainy days and hot weather is frustrating.

The Pump does not cater to young individuals. The lack of apartment complexes is another downfall. It would be cool if we built newer apartment places with amenities like indoor pool, billiard room, and spas for $750/month. Developers can set income 3x or 4x the requirements to maintain property value.

Entertainment and light night options of eating still needs improvement also. As of now SP is the only way to go.

It surprises me knowing that the generally conservative City of Richmond promotes small business yet we clamor to SP. The commute to get to the west end tends to be costly as well. I wouldn't make such a big deal about SP because we need more nice areas besides the Pump to develop in Richmond. More choices could sustain growth and be positive for the City itself. I would like Chesterfield to develop because Chesterfield Town Center is becoming an eyesore. There should be more community meetings within neighborhoods to start voicing concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 07:42 PM

139 posts, read 239,331 times
CTC IS NOT AN EYESORE!!! Its AWESOME! S.P. is awesome, Innsbrook is filling up now, and Downtown is doing god-knows-what with new coliseums, light rail, brt, canal walk, and condos. Richmond is doing really good right now.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:26 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,783,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shebroad21 View Post

In few years short, Short Pump Towne Center will be the only shopping center available as talks about the closure of some surrounding malls are definite, which is going to add to the overcrowding.
Either you are using hyperbole to make a point (a poor one at that) or you clearly don't have your hand (or ear) to the pulse of Richmond area retail.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:27 PM

PS: Are you guys seriously calling it "The Pump"?????

Is this some new trend or am I late?

LOL

Old 02-07-2011, 11:30 PM

I don't understand how people can become excited about all these new ideas. To my understanding Richmond City Council have not approved anything yet. We are still talking years as far as full development of the light rail and colisseum. We need to vote out the City Council in order for new things to come to Richmond. These folks are not working fast enough to approve projects.

Tanger Outlets (a new shopping mall) have made a pitch to set up shop in Richmond, however the Council have not commented on it yet. Who knows the amount of developers who want to build and improve things..

PS: I call it the Pump. lol I didn't anyone else did.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:16 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,314,203 times
Tanger Outlets has proposed a location in the City? Where?

Old 02-08-2011, 10:31 AM

I think he may be confused. Especially considering he called Tanger Outlets "a new shopping mall."

Old 02-08-2011, 12:37 PM

I'm just looking for the back-up to the statement.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:26 PM

I can't find the specific article in which I heard that Tanger Outlets proposed to have a new location in Richmond, but if you look at this map:

Tanger Outlet Centers :: Outlet Mall Locations in the US

then you would find that there are many locations throught the East Coast. The newest addition was in Mebane, NC. Mebane has a population of 10,624. I mean come on..even locations in SC.

Another reason to blame the current Richmond Council.

I tried looking under 2010 development proposals, however the City government desperately needs to create a convenient all-in-one website.
http://www.richmondgov.com/Procureme...Proposals.aspx (I could only find pavement projects for roads)

Old 02-08-2011, 02:51 PM

I think you are confusing Tanger with Holladay Properties' proposal to build the Outlet Shoppes at Richmond, a 375,000 s.f. retail outlet project in Winding Brook adjacent to Bass Pro Shops in HANOVER COUNTY. The Richmond City Council had absolutely nothing to do with this project as it is located in another locality and the project was put on hold due to the inability of the developer to secure tenants and financing in the recessionary environment.

Holladay Properties: Retail Properties | Winding Brook

The page you linked to is for City procurement - services provided to the City by third party vendors such as paving contracts. This is not where proposals for economic development are found. The city's Dept of Community and Economic Development offers several tools for tracking proposed developments. The planning commission and City Council provide their agendas on the City website which would address any items put before the City Council. You won't find any mention of this alleged Tanger Outlet proposal. Council cannot comment on something that doesn't exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond