Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 08:38 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,766,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank90 View Post
Life is filled with choices. Whether these choices directly or indirectly associates itself with homelessness or not, it can eventually result in no place to stay.

I'm curious to see if you've taken a poll to back your statements. Is there a research study to these findings or is this what you mere opinion? How do you know what the minority or majority of homeless people's choice are?

I don't think homeless people should have choices in their fate unless it is humane or to better themselves financially.
No offense, but parts of your post are so incoherent that I'm not certain I can even respond to them accurately.

And no I haven't administered a poll to come to my conclusions; you don't necessarily need a poll to come to common sense conclusions.

However, I do work in an area (professionally and geographically) where I encounter many of Richmond's homeless population.

I've heard enough of their life stories to know that its ignorant and irresponsible to conclude that homeless people are in their predicament because they choose to be.

And please save the "Life is filled with choices" line; it simply doesn't hold water in this situation. Making a bad choice is FAR from choosing to be homeless as you suggested in your previous post.

One of the bigger population subsets of homeless people in the area are those who have mental health issues (a trend not unlike what is found in other cities). And I know you aren't going to argue that those who suffer from severe mental impairment do so by their own choice, are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 09:53 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,292,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank90 View Post
I assume you are a handful of people wanting SP to be the only choice for shopping. You probaly don't even live in SP, because most people who shop there don't.
Are you kidding me? Because I suggest how the retail industry works, you make another one of your false blanket statements?

I'm a Fan resident and try to avoid Short Pump at all costs.

I can't wait to be enlightened by your next diatribe given your expertise in all subjects!

Old 02-07-2011, 09:56 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,688,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric75 View Post
I agree on most of those points and my statement wasn't directed toward you. What you stated above is intelligent discussion. What Skratch, frank90, and to a smaller extent Anders do is just complain and they obviously have a view of the City that is skewed far to the negative. I hope at some point they see the good in the City and work at fixing its problems. Until then most of us will continue to view their posts as nothing but troll material and the rantings of an adolescent.

The following quotes apply well to this forum and I hope the more persistent complainers take it to heart...

"I always thought, "Someone should do something about that." Then I realized I was someone." Lily Tomlin

"Be the change you want to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi
i have been unbiased in this thread..

Old 02-08-2011, 01:09 AM

68 posts, read 117,932 times
Default homelessness is a safety concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
No offense, but parts of your post are so incoherent that I'm not certain I can even respond to them accurately.

And no I haven't administered a poll to come to my conclusions; you don't necessarily need a poll to come to common sense conclusions.

However, I do work in an area (professionally and geographically) where I encounter many of Richmond's homeless population.

I've heard enough of their life stories to know that its ignorant and irresponsible to conclude that homeless people are in their predicament because they choose to be.

And please save the "Life is filled with choices" line; it simply doesn't hold water in this situation. Making a bad choice is FAR from choosing to be homeless as you suggested in your previous post.

One of the bigger population subsets of homeless people in the area are those who have mental health issues (a trend not unlike what is found in other cities). And I know you aren't going to argue that those who suffer from severe mental impairment do so by their own choice, are you?
My interpretation on how people become homeless is obviously different than your ideology on how people become homeless. Nonetheless, homelessness is a problem either way and is an issue that the City needs to pay attention to.

Given the location of your work, I commend you for even putting up with the problem. As a VCU student, I must cope with the homeless as well.

The homelessness issue (along with mental illness) is important to me. I must deal with these issues very personally.

I find it hard to believe that an individual can magically all of a sudden become homeless. It is a process of life per se filled with choices that can deter one to become homeless. I also think that mental illnesses are also partly to blame on the individual who has it. The environment of drugs and alcohol is a major source for sending people over the edge, but also bad parenting and weird influences can lead to a mental breakdown or illness.

Homeless people made decisions that led them to become homeless. Whether it is choosing to be an alcoholic instead of taking care of your kids or being financially uneducated which lands you in a tent or a bench.

It's almost saying as if you didn't choose to work where homeless is rapid. But you did choose to work in that area. It was many choices that led you to where you are working now. You choose to become educated. You choose to work. You choose to work in an area where homeless is rapid.

I would be naive to actually believe what a homeless person has to say. If I was homeless than I would too tell a BS story that lands me empathy to get liquor or change, in which case you would have just been fooled.

Last edited by frank90; 02-08-2011 at 01:27 AM..

Old 02-08-2011, 01:56 AM

68 posts, read 117,932 times
I can't help the fact that I have strong views on things that I care about or want to see improved.

Raleigh is a neighboring City, in which Richmond can relate itself to in certain ways. I've heard that these guys had proposed and approved a Panhandling Ordinance. The ordinance starts March 18th.
It basically tells people that they must have a license to panhandle during certain hours of the day and where it is not prohibited. If caught without a license than one would be charged $500 and a misdeameanor.

The Official City of Raleigh Portal - Approval Given to Amended Panhandling Ordinance

I understand the Fan folks are shaken by a serious of crimes recently. I believe the Fan lies in the North Central 5th District. Try sending emails to let the Richmond City Council for thoughts or suggestions...

Central 5th District
The Honorable E. Martin Jewell, Councilman
Richmond City Council - Central 5th District
804.646.5724 (office tel); 332.3654 (mobile)
marty.jewell@richmondgov.com (email)

Old 02-08-2011, 03:00 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,688,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tej147 View Post
This crime stuff happens everywhere. Not just Richmond.
Wow, what else happens outside of Richmond? I've never dared to leave this awesome awesome place.. why would I, it's the best place ever.. yay yay yay Richmond! BOOO OUTSIDE RICHMOND STUFF!!

Old 02-08-2011, 03:14 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,107,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va4Ever View Post
i mean lets be serious....white guy....late at night....no one outside ....bad part of town....im sorry but that smells like a beat down from miles away lol. hey im black and u still wouldn't catch me by myself, late at night, downtown. you might as well wear a sign that says "im looking for trouble" LOL
That's like saying a woman was asking to be raped isn't it?

Old 02-08-2011, 05:02 AM

68 posts, read 137,508 times
Richmonds crime is nothing compared to the 80s and 90s

Old 02-08-2011, 06:28 AM

92 posts, read 253,903 times
"I also think that mental illnesses are also partly to blame on the individual who has it. The environment of drugs and alcohol is a major source for sending people over the edge, but also bad parenting and weird influences can lead to a mental breakdown or illness."

Wow, are you serious?? Have you never met or known anyone with a mental illness? I was actually enjoying reading many of your posts because I found them very thoughtful and felt you were just trying to express yourself until I got to this point. Mental diseases are an illness, they aren't chosen, it's just like any other illness. I know that some people may have one due to drugs/alcohol, but you're just talking about one portion.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:43 AM

894 posts, read 2,303,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
That's like saying a woman was asking to be raped isn't it?
A man, black or white, doesn't matter. If he looks weak and is alone in a bad neighborhood and looks like a student or might have something valuable to steal is a target. It's sad, un-pc, and should never happen. But unfortunately it does.

In your analogy, it could be likened to a woman flashing a group of felons and expecting nothing to happen. Just because the majority of society finds this behavior unacceptable, and it should not happen, doesn't mean that you should put yourself in harms way and then complain if something hapens. Just because I'm a free person, and should be able to stroll down any street in this county doesn't mean I'm going to. You just have to take your own personal safety into consideration these days. People can't be so naieve anymore. Especially in areas known to have problems with crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond