Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 10:52 AM

894 posts, read 2,303,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling_in_the_sun View Post
"I also think that mental illnesses are also partly to blame on the individual who has it. The environment of drugs and alcohol is a major source for sending people over the edge, but also bad parenting and weird influences can lead to a mental breakdown or illness."

Wow, are you serious?? Have you never met or known anyone with a mental illness? I was actually enjoying reading many of your posts because I found them very thoughtful and felt you were just trying to express yourself until I got to this point. Mental diseases are an illness, they aren't chosen, it's just like any other illness. I know that some people may have one due to drugs/alcohol, but you're just talking about one portion.
Another aspect with the mentally ill homeless is many of these unfortunates have been released from hospitals with no one to take care of them. They either have no family willing to take care of them, or they are ashamed of their condition and don't seek help. The mental hospitals don't give a care about these people and when they turn them loose, they make no provisions for them. I use to think similarly; why don't they just pick themselves up by their bootstraps and try to do something/anything to make their lives better? But the more I learned, I realized it is such a systemic problem that it is really impossible to go into all the reasons people end up homeless. When you think about it, who in their right mind would want to be homeless? For someone to be in that condition is a sign that something in that persons life is really really wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 04:08 PM

68 posts, read 117,932 times
The shooter of Va tech had weird influences and affiliations as well as Jared in the AZ shootings; they were both mentally ill. Are you saying that mentally ill people should not be held accountable for their decisions and actions?

It's bad enough we have a reputation of giving anyone a gun. The 7% increase in homeless does not add well to the mix. I guess Bob McDonald Duck appeases to the illiterate majority by making it acceptable to openly tote guns in state parks. Richmond is politically backwards and we all are fascinated with anything the government gives us, whether it is a welfare check or Short Pump who turn away competition for other areas in Richmond.

We could hardly handle the downtown skating rink without controversy. Not alone hovering over the recently new VCU gym. Everyone goes bonkers on what should have already been here. People are so quick to aknowledge the crimes of folks who merely uses their fists yet when the Landneck brothers from Hanover beat someone with a bat in broad day light in the Fan then it goes without a posting not alone 10 years off of their 20 year jail sentence.

Landeck brothers sentences reduced to 10 years each - NBC12 News, Weather Sports, Traffic, and Programming Guide for Richmond, VA |

Old 02-09-2011, 01:59 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,107,952 times
There should be a law against baseball bats and fists. Anyone forming their hand into a fist should be arrested.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:21 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,688,675 times
Here's a good article, I Read it on a certain other site.

RICHMOND - Vice Magazine (http://www.viceland.com/int/guide_dc_richmond/htdocs/richmond-100.php - broken link)

Do you all think this sums up Richmond? It's an article both sides can agree on I think.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:41 PM

1,513 posts, read 2,757,865 times
sums up? No. Speaks a truth? yep.

Downtown Richmond is alive in a way a lot of American cities aren't anymore. And yeah, the VCU/hipsters started it, and I don't think it would have existed without them, but there is more to it. So it's not my Richmond, but I think it is a Richmond.

And its how Austin/Portland etc. started. Richmond could get there -the bones are there. Probably more social life is the key - I like quiet at night, but I also think college kids have the right to make some noise. Different stages.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:31 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,688,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
sums up? No. Speaks a truth? yep.

Downtown Richmond is alive in a way a lot of American cities aren't anymore. And yeah, the VCU/hipsters started it, and I don't think it would have existed without them, but there is more to it. So it's not my Richmond, but I think it is a Richmond.

And its how Austin/Portland etc. started. Richmond could get there -the bones are there. Probably more social life is the key - I like quiet at night, but I also think college kids have the right to make some noise. Different stages.
That's the thing, no one else wants them to. Remember the infamous noise ordinance? (http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2010/nov/30/judge-declares-richmond-noise-ordinance-unconstitu-ar-685672/ - broken link) Things like that will keep Richmond from being like those cities and perhaps that's the point.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:28 AM

370 posts, read 1,006,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders15 View Post
That's the thing, no one else wants them to. Remember the infamous noise ordinance? (http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2010/nov/30/judge-declares-richmond-noise-ordinance-unconstitu-ar-685672/ - broken link) Things like that will keep Richmond from being like those cities and perhaps that's the point.
They have a tough balance to strike. The students in the Fan and Oregon Hill neighborhoods are apparently infamous for loud outdoor parties with bands playing. These are dense neighborhoods with lot's of people in hearing range of the noise, many of them don't want to hear punk or metal at 1 am and I can't blame them. It's not unreasonable to expect outdoor parties to quiet down after a certain hour. There should be fewer limitations on legit, indoor venues however.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:51 AM

106 posts, read 262,166 times
Quote:

RICHMOND - Vice Magazine (http://www.viceland.com/int/guide_dc_richmond/htdocs/richmond-100.php - broken link)

Do you all think this sums up Richmond? It's an article both sides can agree on I think.
i was going to agree until it said "and still have the best time in the world" then i agreed with it never being ny,dc or la, then i disagreed with life in richmond revolving around james river in the summer, & chasing freshman girls in the fall & always something fun to do and richmond parties hard, i was agreeing more with the comments then the author

Old 02-11-2011, 08:51 AM

370 posts, read 1,006,006 times
Quote:

Nice read. I think that sums up very accurately one portion of Richmond... the young, southern hipsters. But for a small City there are a decent number of scenes. A kayaker/mountain biker would write a completely different piece, as would a small business owner, a native blue blood... there are as many Richmonds as there are unique personalities. And that goes for any City really.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:51 PM

157 posts, read 567,211 times
Being from MI and having been to Detroit quite a few times in my life, I have to disagree. I'm *not* a city person at all but I don't feel unsafe in Richmond, wouldn't go alone at night, but I think Richmond's reasonably decent for a major city! Have you not been to most major cities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond