Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 09:07 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,844,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason0711 View Post
Gee I wonder who/what is contributing to this?
What are you implying? Not sure, it could be several things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 09:13 AM

55 posts, read 141,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
What are you implying? Not sure, it could be several things.
I'm sure you can infer something. What's it mean to you?

Old 02-06-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason0711 View Post
I'm sure you can infer something. What's it mean to you?
It means that you're saying someone is working and getting paid and someone is not. I'm not sure who you're referring to, and I'm not expecting to get better at reading your mind as the day ticks on.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:47 AM

139 posts, read 238,639 times
to jason: my parents know all about this. they don't mind me defending my favorite city on the web. :/

Old 02-06-2011, 12:02 PM

55 posts, read 141,496 times
Quote:
and I'm not expecting to get better at reading your mind as the day ticks on.
Don't worry I'm not expecting you to either.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:54 PM

139 posts, read 238,639 times
lol jason and ajneoa fighting

Old 02-06-2011, 08:01 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,694,152 times
*sits back watching*

http://cdn.theurbandaily.com/files/2010/09/michael-jackson-eating-popcorn.gif (broken link)

Old 02-07-2011, 01:01 AM

68 posts, read 118,090 times
Default homeless

Quote:
It would be ideal if there were no homeless in any city (or anywhere), but the fact remains that most every city I've ever been to has them. Maybe other cities you've been to didn't have homeless where you visited, but I assure you, there were homeless. I find Richmond to be "not so bad" compared to other places like Portland, OR, San Fran and NYC. These are cities that are considered some of the best.

And just to be thorough, cities do not breed the homeless. Job-lessness, addiction and mental illness breed the homeless. There are rural homeless and poor, and I find that to be even more of an issue, as they can't even walk to a shelter or someplace else to get help.

Ofcourse every city has homeless, however some cities have better laws to micromanage and actually deal with the problem. It's not always bigger cities like the ones you listed who have major homeless problems, because Richmond is crawling with crime and homeless.

I feel like Richmonders always make excuses for how the City lags behind.

Perhaps it stokes everyone egos knowing someone is far worst than they are as they drive by the man begging for change. I guess rural homeless causes more concern than urban homeless? I don't understand the logic behind that fallacy. Homelessness is homelessness.

I don't need an explanation of how homelessness is created, because I understand that Cities alone cannot breed the homeless. Yet when Cities have lacksydaisical policies as far as letting the homeless consume downtown areas, then there is a major problem.

I can't see how Richmond expects to benefit and have a major University downtown when the homeless is running around. I propose police excorting homeless to outside well-known facilities. Perhaps establishing more adult homes, and safehouses. Step by step programs for druggies and alcoholics. Richmond already have lax requirements dealing with many low income housing, yet there needs to be more done.

I'm assuming Richmonders don't care enough to benefit the overall city because stastically speaking the majority are African-American.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:43 AM

68 posts, read 118,090 times
Richmond smells as if someone farted in a shoe. Am I the only one who gags while driving on 1-95 into Richmond? All of those industrial companies shouldn't welcome anyone into the City. It's bad enough that Philip Morris has that giant Marlboro logo.. only adding to the southern city stereotypes. You would think Birmingham, Al would have that, yet they are building and is currently the 3rd largest banking City.

It only takes a few moments as you get closer to Richmond that it is misleading just like it's people.
Ofcourse you have the nice James River which greets you below, and the nice skyline. But then you get closer and the buildings are from the early 80's and you find yourself swirving to avoid cheap pothole patches. You don't really have any signs directing you to worthwhile places besides boring historical places like Maggie L Walker, John Marshall Museum, oh and the Museum of the Confederacy. If the locals don't greet you by cutting in front of you then they will by annoying you by realizing the fast lane is not meant for the actual speed limit.

You will then soon be guided to the overrated Short Pump, which is surburban sprawl with a sprinkle of high end businesses. SP was exclusively made for liberals in the early 90's until everyone and their mom wanted to keep up. It soon was swallowed by fake conservatives who wanted to live liberally in their all brick homes and beloved outdoor mall. Btw, outdoor malls are so lame and inconvenient. I'm glad Chesterfield is starting to build now. The growth of Short Pump was recently stunned by the recent recession which left West Broad Village looking like a man with his pants down. Personally I've seen better designed apartments, however the cobblestone is a nice feature.

The East End of Henrico can be just as nice as the West, depending on what you you are looking for. I can only imagine the potential for businesses out near the airport, unfortunately people are close minded and is too focused on particular areas to realize it. Too bad the farmers out in Varina and the Highland Springs area would rather die on their farms then sell it. They too could make millions if they sold it to the right hands.

I'm interested to see what downtown Richmond has to offer in the coming years. I know many young people like I who are moving to neighboring and out of state Cities for better educational options and job opportunity. I understand that there are many projects expected to be built soon. I hope all the talk can eventually lead to construction. I have faith that downtown can soon be utilized to it's fullest potential and all the ugly empty buildings that does not generate income can be used for development. I would also love for the food tax to decrease. Everyone here is allergic to taxes but I find myself content with taxes as long as I can track local spending. Small businesses are cool, but consumers should also have a variety of choices. Places like Extreme Pizza does fairly well on Broad St, but when I change my mind about my pizza..I should'nt have to argue with someone because of how much it cost to make the pizza as if it's my fault. Sometimes I laugh at other VCU kids because they walk around acting so "it", when we all know that we couldn't get into UVA or Va Tech. I mean lets face it, we are going to need a sports team before we can start competing and starting to have accredibility. I hope we get that new colisseum, it is so needed.

I'm just blogging about how I feel at the moment. lol

Old 02-07-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank90 View Post
Ofcourse every city has homeless, however some cities have better laws to micromanage and actually deal with the problem. It's not always bigger cities like the ones you listed who have major homeless problems, because Richmond is crawling with crime and homeless.

I feel like Richmonders always make excuses for how the City lags behind.

Perhaps it stokes everyone egos knowing someone is far worst than they are as they drive by the man begging for change. I guess rural homeless causes more concern than urban homeless? I don't understand the logic behind that fallacy. Homelessness is homelessness.

I don't need an explanation of how homelessness is created, because I understand that Cities alone cannot breed the homeless. Yet when Cities have lacksydaisical policies as far as letting the homeless consume downtown areas, then there is a major problem.

I can't see how Richmond expects to benefit and have a major University downtown when the homeless is running around. I propose police excorting homeless to outside well-known facilities. Perhaps establishing more adult homes, and safehouses. Step by step programs for druggies and alcoholics. Richmond already have lax requirements dealing with many low income housing, yet there needs to be more done.

I'm assuming Richmonders don't care enough to benefit the overall city because stastically speaking the majority are African-American.
I'm not sure which Richmonders are making excuses. I've said multiple times that this city needs to improve its crime situation and its business climate. The city HAS made some very good strides at the crime situation over the past 5 - 10 years. Ignoring that things are improving seems like straight-up complaining to me.

You mention "lacksydaisical policies" about the homeless. What policies do you propose Richmond enforce, and what other cities employ these policies? I'm all about putting resources into helping and controlling the homeless situation, but it seems that you're only concerned about the homeless being in your way and embarrassing you when you're with out-of-town friends. These people have to live too. Again, I don't want them committing crime or urinating in front of my house, but what do you propose Richmond does? Lock them up someplace they don't want to live?

I've had an occasional homeless person come up to me and ask for money/change. I tell them I'm not going to give them money, but that I wish them luck. I've never gotten anything short of a "thanks anyway" response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond