Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 07:42 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,834,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank90 View Post
Richmond smells as if someone farted in a shoe. Am I the only one who gags while driving on 1-95 into Richmond? All of those industrial companies shouldn't welcome anyone into the City. It's bad enough that Philip Morris has that giant Marlboro logo.. only adding to the southern city stereotypes. You would think Birmingham, Al would have that, yet they are building and is currently the 3rd largest banking City.

It only takes a few moments as you get closer to Richmond that it is misleading just like it's people.
Ofcourse you have the nice James River which greets you below, and the nice skyline. But then you get closer and the buildings are from the early 80's and you find yourself swirving to avoid cheap pothole patches. You don't really have any signs directing you to worthwhile places besides boring historical places like Maggie L Walker, John Marshall Museum, oh and the Museum of the Confederacy. If the locals don't greet you by cutting in front of you then they will by annoying you by realizing the fast lane is not meant for the actual speed limit.

You will then soon be guided to the overrated Short Pump, which is surburban sprawl with a sprinkle of high end businesses. SP was exclusively made for liberals in the early 90's until everyone and their mom wanted to keep up. It soon was swallowed by fake conservatives who wanted to live liberally in their all brick homes and beloved outdoor mall. Btw, outdoor malls are so lame and inconvenient. I'm glad Chesterfield is starting to build now. The growth of Short Pump was recently stunned by the recent recession which left West Broad Village looking like a man with his pants down. Personally I've seen better designed apartments, however the cobblestone is a nice feature.

The East End of Henrico can be just as nice as the West, depending on what you you are looking for. I can only imagine the potential for businesses out near the airport, unfortunately people are close minded and is too focused on particular areas to realize it. Too bad the farmers out in Varina and the Highland Springs area would rather die on their farms then sell it. They too could make millions if they sold it to the right hands.

I'm interested to see what downtown Richmond has to offer in the coming years. I know many young people like I who are moving to neighboring and out of state Cities for better educational options and job opportunity. I understand that there are many projects expected to be built soon. I hope all the talk can eventually lead to construction. I have faith that downtown can soon be utilized to it's fullest potential and all the ugly empty buildings that does not generate income can be used for development. I would also love for the food tax to decrease. Everyone here is allergic to taxes but I find myself content with taxes as long as I can track local spending. Small businesses are cool, but consumers should also have a variety of choices. Places like Extreme Pizza does fairly well on Broad St, but when I change my mind about my pizza..I should'nt have to argue with someone because of how much it cost to make the pizza as if it's my fault. Sometimes I laugh at other VCU kids because they walk around acting so "it", when we all know that we couldn't get into UVA or Va Tech. I mean lets face it, we are going to need a sports team before we can start competing and starting to have accredibility. I hope we get that new colisseum, it is so needed.

I'm just blogging about how I feel at the moment. lol

Haha, I know you said you were blogging about how you feel, but I'm not sure how to even take this post. We were starting to have a discussion and then you criticize the way Richmond smells and the industries that are located here. I mean, are you saying we should kick those industries out of town, which employ people?

This appears to be a hopeless conversation, as there's yet another person in this thread who hates Richmond and spends their energy complaining about things like the way the factories smell when driving in on Rt. 95. I guess some people like to just complain.

Good luck to you, and I hope you find someplace else you like better. I'm done with this thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 08:19 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,295,139 times
The smell comes from the water treatment facility just south of the river and immediately to the east of I-95. The south Richmond I-95 corridor is an industrial corridor... industrial corridors aren't sexy but they serve a purpose, offer jobs, and need convenient interstate access.

http://www.richmondgov.com/dpu/Waste...ollection.aspx
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1400+b...38581&t=h&z=15

Lots of blanket statements flying around...

Old 02-07-2011, 08:38 AM

894 posts, read 2,304,211 times
I don't understand where the hate comes from in regards to Richmond. It sounds like people complaining about the place they've grown up their whole lives and only believe that other cities are better. The typical grass is greener syndrome.

As far as homelessness, has anyone been to DC lately? It's an epidemic there. Or Portland, Oregon? As green, and "progressive" as that city claims to be, it has a real bad problem with homlessness.

Crime? People look at cities like Charlotte with it's new gleaming skyscrapers and think because it's a relativily new city, that crime doesn't exist there. Looking at the Charlotte forum and actually spending some time there, I can assure you that crime is no better there. And again, compared with DC, Baltimore, Philly, Detroit, St. Louis etc, Richmond is not bad.

Old ugly buildings downtown? Some yes. Some are as recent as last year, and the 90s. I would like to see at least one dominant building with a pointy spire. But, Richmond is far from being the only city with either no new highrises or recent ones. Again, Baltimore has no recent dominant skyscraper built, at least not in the recent years I've been to it. Even Philadelphia only has had one new skyscraper built in the last few years. It however happens to be the tallest in the city now. People comparing Richmond to Charlotte is unfair and shortsighted. The entire Charlotte area could be likened to a big Short Pump. Built during a bubble and is now suffering because of the recent recession.

As far as beat up roads, there are few large cities that I have been to that did not have them. Richmond is an old, dense, urban city with the most important interstate in the country splitting the city in half, that of being i95. It would be very hard to maintain these roads better with the intense bridge network the city has downtown without completely shutting down the interstate and rebuilding from scratch. And we all know that is not an option. Surface streets can use more attention, but they are far from the worst that I have seen. Again, look at above cities.

And all the people saying Richmond is small. It has a metropolitan area of 1.2 million. That's not NYC by any means, but why compare Richmond to that? At best Richmond is a mid-size city. If you want an example of a small city look at Charlottesville, or Lynchburg. The people who think it's small obviously have lived here there whole lives and have not lived in a real small town. Metro Richmond can be comparable to other cities like Hampton Roads, Buffalo, NY, Raleigh, Birmingham, New Orleans, Providence, etc. While not huge metropolis's, these are far from small towns.

Bottom line: Richmond has problems. But guess what? So does every other city on the planet! Can Richmond do better? Sure! But so can every other city on the planet. You would swear that some of these posters thought they were living in Baghdad or Somalia or something. The grass may indeed be greener somewhere else, but in reality it's more like patches of green instead of whole fields. If you're unhappy here with Richmond's problems, chances are you will be unhappy anywhere you go, because these problems are not limited to just Richmond.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:47 AM

370 posts, read 1,006,440 times
Regarding the Richmond hate... it's mainly people that grew up here, in the 17-23 year old range if I had to guess. They regret not getting out and about in the world and blame all their woes on the City they live in. They aren't here to have an intelligent discussion, they aren't going to try and do anything about the problems they see... they just want to vent and complain.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:14 AM

55 posts, read 141,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric75 View Post
Regarding the Richmond hate... it's mainly people that grew up here, in the 17-23 year old range if I had to guess. They regret not getting out and about in the world and blame all their woes on the City they live in. They aren't here to have an intelligent discussion, they aren't going to try and do anything about the problems they see... they just want to vent and complain.
I'm not sure if anyone here is complaining as much about Richmond as they are the crime and racism that is associated with it. Shockoe Bottom is supposed to be safe, as it develops into a more progressive destination for newcomers into the converted warehouses, and as a destination for people in the city, and in the suburbs.

Richmond in general needs better lighting and probably a complete overhaul of the city government.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:59 AM

106 posts, read 262,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank90 View Post
Richmond smells as if someone farted in a shoe. Am I the only one who gags while driving on 1-95 into Richmond? All of those industrial companies shouldn't welcome anyone into the City. It's bad enough that Philip Morris has that giant Marlboro logo.. only adding to the southern city stereotypes. You would think Birmingham, Al would have that, yet they are building and is currently the 3rd largest banking City.

It only takes a few moments as you get closer to Richmond that it is misleading just like it's people.
Ofcourse you have the nice James River which greets you below, and the nice skyline. But then you get closer and the buildings are from the early 80's and you find yourself swirving to avoid cheap pothole patches. You don't really have any signs directing you to worthwhile places besides boring historical places like Maggie L Walker, John Marshall Museum, oh and the Museum of the Confederacy. If the locals don't greet you by cutting in front of you then they will by annoying you by realizing the fast lane is not meant for the actual speed limit.

You will then soon be guided to the overrated Short Pump, which is surburban sprawl with a sprinkle of high end businesses. SP was exclusively made for liberals in the early 90's until everyone and their mom wanted to keep up. It soon was swallowed by fake conservatives who wanted to live liberally in their all brick homes and beloved outdoor mall. Btw, outdoor malls are so lame and inconvenient. I'm glad Chesterfield is starting to build now. The growth of Short Pump was recently stunned by the recent recession which left West Broad Village looking like a man with his pants down. Personally I've seen better designed apartments, however the cobblestone is a nice feature.

The East End of Henrico can be just as nice as the West, depending on what you you are looking for. I can only imagine the potential for businesses out near the airport, unfortunately people are close minded and is too focused on particular areas to realize it. Too bad the farmers out in Varina and the Highland Springs area would rather die on their farms then sell it. They too could make millions if they sold it to the right hands.

I'm interested to see what downtown Richmond has to offer in the coming years. I know many young people like I who are moving to neighboring and out of state Cities for better educational options and job opportunity. I understand that there are many projects expected to be built soon. I hope all the talk can eventually lead to construction. I have faith that downtown can soon be utilized to it's fullest potential and all the ugly empty buildings that does not generate income can be used for development. I would also love for the food tax to decrease. Everyone here is allergic to taxes but I find myself content with taxes as long as I can track local spending. Small businesses are cool, but consumers should also have a variety of choices. Places like Extreme Pizza does fairly well on Broad St, but when I change my mind about my pizza..I should'nt have to argue with someone because of how much it cost to make the pizza as if it's my fault. Sometimes I laugh at other VCU kids because they walk around acting so "it", when we all know that we couldn't get into UVA or Va Tech. I mean lets face it, we are going to need a sports team before we can start competing and starting to have accredibility. I hope we get that new colisseum, it is so needed.

I'm just blogging about how I feel at the moment. lol
you speak the truth, lol just before u enter the city you smell all the im guessing hogs? and etc im pretty sure this is the most unwelcoming feel you can have to such a city, i agree short pump is overrated but to me i feel like its the only thing richmond has to offer as a whole its like the only pretty thing i seen in richmond and pretty environment, pretty schools, i live on the east end its garbage compared to the west end and beat down, and i feel like its racial tension on this side considering it is more low income areas on east henrico then west, personally i laugh at Virginians as a whole i dont really see why they are so crazy over VCU, VCU is a dump to me its not even a top 100 school, i just think its funny how much they praise this school when its a average school for B average students and its only good in the medical field & Art, and it has no real campus just the small city, like you siad "many young people like I who are moving to neighboring and out of state Cities for better educational options and job opportunity" im currently trying to apply to these schools in other states aswell just to get out of this hellhole place called virginia, i cant speak on everybody else my age whos trying to get out since i think virginians think a certain of a way they dont really see what i see they accept what they currently have. i personally dont think virginia will get a new coliseum any time soon atleast while im here they wont and there plans are kind of reach in terms of landing a d league franchise or wnba team to support it, is it true that the coliseum doesnt even fill up half way when entertainment comes?
i know ppl on here hate when u compare charlotte to richmond but im always out there like this weekend and im going to compare it every time, richmond is just a trash state

Old 02-07-2011, 12:12 PM

370 posts, read 1,006,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason0711 View Post
I'm not sure if anyone here is complaining as much about Richmond as they are the crime and racism that is associated with it. Shockoe Bottom is supposed to be safe, as it develops into a more progressive destination for newcomers into the converted warehouses, and as a destination for people in the city, and in the suburbs.

Richmond in general needs better lighting and probably a complete overhaul of the city government.
I agree on most of those points and my statement wasn't directed toward you. What you stated above is intelligent discussion. What Skratch, frank90, and to a smaller extent Anders do is just complain and they obviously have a view of the City that is skewed far to the negative. I hope at some point they see the good in the City and work at fixing its problems. Until then most of us will continue to view their posts as nothing but troll material and the rantings of an adolescent.

The following quotes apply well to this forum and I hope the more persistent complainers take it to heart...

"I always thought, "Someone should do something about that." Then I realized I was someone." Lily Tomlin

"Be the change you want to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

Old 02-07-2011, 12:20 PM

106 posts, read 262,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric75 View Post
I agree on most of those points and my statement wasn't directed toward you. What you stated above is intelligent discussion. What Skratch, frank90, and to a smaller extent Anders do is just complain and they obviously have a view of the City that is skewed far to the negative. I hope at some point they see the good in the City and work at fixing its problems. Until then most of us will continue to view their posts as nothing but troll material and the rantings of an adolescent.

The following quotes apply well to this forum and I hope the more persistent complainers take it to heart...

"I always thought, "Someone should do something about that." Then I realized I was someone." Lily Tomlin

"Be the change you want to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi
A wise man once told me "If You Dont Like Your City You Either Stay Or GTFO" im taking the "GTFO route" cause its better, i cant change richmond unless someone wants to give me 5 billion dollars so i can destroy the whole downtown and rebuild it from scratch and create NYC, i cant do that so i'll leave

Old 02-07-2011, 01:56 PM

55 posts, read 141,399 times
Here's another good quote:

"The more impossible it is for one person to make a difference, the more you must"
-Robert Sapolsky

Old 02-07-2011, 03:29 PM

139 posts, read 238,312 times
To ajneoa: DON'T LEAVE!!!! I'M NOT A JERK!!!
To skratch: am I that wise old man who said GTFO?!? cuz I probably remember saying that in the past.....sorry about my outbursts......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond