Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 02:30 PM

4 posts, read 10,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I'm not sure which Richmonders are making excuses. I've said multiple times that this city needs to improve its crime situation and its business climate. The city HAS made some very good strides at the crime situation over the past 5 - 10 years. Ignoring that things are improving seems like straight-up complaining to me.

You mention "lacksydaisical policies" about the homeless. What policies do you propose Richmond enforce, and what other cities employ these policies? I'm all about putting resources into helping and controlling the homeless situation, but it seems that you're only concerned about the homeless being in your way and embarrassing you when you're with out-of-town friends. These people have to live too. Again, I don't want them committing crime or urinating in front of my house, but what do you propose Richmond does? Lock them up someplace they don't want to live?

I've had an occasional homeless person come up to me and ask for money/change. I tell them I'm not going to give them money, but that I wish them luck. I've never gotten anything short of a "thanks anyway" response.
There's a lot which should be done to correct the misguidance in the practice of Richmond development. The city has taken a few steps, such as the ongoing building in the warehouse district, to combat its lacking stance in infrastructure, though I have yet to see any recent continuing.

Last edited by shebroad21; 02-07-2011 at 03:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 03:13 PM

4 posts, read 10,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tej147 View Post
Agreed. richmond rules.....f*** off haters.

LOL - you must have never been outside of your beloved Richmond.

This is the exact representation of conservatism at work - complete satisfaction with what one has.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:34 PM

68 posts, read 118,088 times
Default old farts

It's amusing to see quotes being tossed everywhere. As if my biracial background isn't already enough change that I want to see in the world not alone Richmond. I would think that my tax money and vote would be enough to contribute to the city, however I feel the need to vent and complain is useful. I'm not sorry that I don't accept the norm or simply what is being handed to me, definetly if I am an American. Perhaps if I had the political and financial means to change the City for the better than I would. Until then I suppose I'm a young person who does not get out and place blame on everyone but myself. Rigghht.

Yes Richmond probaly was a great city..in the 1800's, but what are we contributing now to the country besides Eric Cantor and tobbacco?

I do not understand how people take offense to the truth or that Richmond is small. If you include the metro area (which includes Petersburg) of any city it tends to be much more than people living in the actual city itself. So for Richmond to have a city population (as of 2009) of nearly 204,451. Why so many homeless?

Birmingham 229,424
Raleigh 356,321
State and County QuickFacts
Birmingham and Raleigh are cities to compare but they have done a great job with their homeless problem.

I shake my head at the irony of having the billion dollar biotech Philip Morris building beside J Sargeant Reynolds and VCU nursing building. I think that corporations and big companies control Richmond and that the politicians here do not listen to us because we are content of what we have and do not realize how far behind we are.

How are we growing when Richmond is closing malls?

Old 02-07-2011, 04:08 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,300,363 times
There's nothing wrong with asking questions and wanting things to be better/different. Taxes and voting are basic means of civic engagement, but you're not truly engaged in making a difference by simply voting and paying taxes... Questions are good too, and certainly better than certain folks here that simply say "Everything sucks, Everywhere else is better no matter what." You seem smart enough to realize that often times it takes rolling up your sleeves and digging in to create change. Hopefully you pick up trash floating along the sidewalk or volunteer at a city school as a mentor or report crimes when you see them, or support local businesses and attend events like First Fridays which embrace a more creative existence.

Regarding homelessness, there are about 1100 homeless people in Richmond (7% Increase in Richmond). You might be surprised to know that Richmond has many resources for the homeless community. Communities like Norfolk have been known to ship (bus) homeless people to Richmond under the guise that they can have better care and resources here. Is giving someone a 1 way bus ticket the answer to getting rid of Richmond's homeless? If it was, we could simply ship everyone to DC where there are MANY more homeless people.

Malls have a life-cycle of 25-30 years or so. Some are more resilient, some less. Per capita Richmond is over-retailed, so there will be casualties along the way.

And by the way, I'm no "old fart..."

Old 02-07-2011, 04:17 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,693,812 times
Just getting back on topic since this is about not feeling safe in Richmond.
Neighbors in Richmond's Fan District encouraged to be vigilant - NBC12 News, Weather Sports, Traffic, and Programming Guide for Richmond, VA |

Old 02-07-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
There's nothing wrong with asking questions and wanting things to be better/different. Taxes and voting are basic means of civic engagement, but you're not truly engaged in making a difference by simply voting and paying taxes... Questions are good too, and certainly better than certain folks here that simply say "Everything sucks, Everywhere else is better no matter what." You seem smart enough to realize that often times it takes rolling up your sleeves and digging in to create change. Hopefully you pick up trash floating along the sidewalk or volunteer at a city school as a mentor or report crimes when you see them, or support local businesses and attend events like First Fridays which embrace a more creative existence.

Regarding homelessness, there are about 1100 homeless people in Richmond (7% Increase in Richmond). You might be surprised to know that Richmond has many resources for the homeless community. Communities like Norfolk have been known to ship (bus) homeless people to Richmond under the guise that they can have better care and resources here. Is giving someone a 1 way bus ticket the answer to getting rid of Richmond's homeless? If it was, we could simply ship everyone to DC where there are MANY more homeless people.

Malls have a life-cycle of 25-30 years or so. Some are more resilient, some less. Per capita Richmond is over-retailed, so there will be casualties along the way.

And by the way, I'm no "old fart..."
The concern of an individual's civic engagement on this forum is not relevant because I can have disabilities or otherwise simply not able to for various reasons. But for the record, I do much more than pay taxes and vote. I am affiliated with multiple organizations and I also do occasional volunteer work. I choose not to imply one's personal role in the community, but what I see as the community as a whole.

Your link was deemed invalid. However the 7% increase does not surprise me. Richmond is known to care for it's homeless. Richmond is also known for relying on the Civil War attractions to lure big bucks for tourism, that doesn't mean it works. For a conservative City like Richmond, I am surprised that people point to the government for help of it's homeless. Afterall in a sense we are like the Obama administration in trying to appease everyone when individuals need to account for their own downfall and choices, whether is spending too much on credit or turning to alcoholism. Like you said, there are programs and resources here to help people along the way. I have no sympathy for the homeless unless there is an evident problem. (IE a leg messing)

I don't understand the notion that Richmond must take care of it's poor and homeless. Definetly in a downtown where there is an outdoor University. I propose anyone who see a homeless to call the police. Richmond is a sanctuary for homeless, it is a beacon of false hope. If we had so many benefiting resources and programs then why are so many still on the street? Ship these people off elsewhere.

I assume you are a handful of people wanting SP to be the only choice for shopping. You probaly don't even live in SP, because most people who shop there don't. If old fart doesn't describe you then don't respond as if it's your name.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:53 PM

139 posts, read 238,621 times
Norfolk ships homeless people to Richmond?!?!? That's just plain mean!

Old 02-07-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tej147 View Post
Norfolk ships homeless people to Richmond?!?!? That's just plain mean!
Why? If the City doesn't want them then ship them out. This is a democracy where you can start from scratch. So if you choose to be at the bottom then hopefully it's temporary. If not, then you are dead waste to society.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:42 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,772,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank90 View Post
Why? If the City doesn't want them then ship them out. This is a democracy where you can start from scratch. So if you choose to be at the bottom then hopefully it's temporary. If not, then you are dead waste to society.
I would say that most homeless people don't "choose to be at the bottom."

There are some who, while they don't necessarily choose, per se, to be at the bottom, they make no attempts to better themselves, but those are in the minority..not the majority.

Put it this way:

Try to find a job without a permanent address. Now try to find a place to live without a job. Try showing up to a job interview in tattered clothing. Or try to even get to the job interview with no transportation? See what I mean? Homelessness is certainly not as simple as choosing/not choosing to "be at the bottom."

PS: Democracy has nothing to do with it. Perhaps you meant meritocracy (I won't even get into the argument that calling our society a meritocracy is naively optimistic at best).

Old 02-07-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
I would say that most homeless people don't "choose to be at the bottom."

There are some who, while they don't necessarily choose, per se, to be at the bottom, they make no attempts to better themselves, but those are in the minority..not the majority.

Put it this way:

Try to find a job without a permanent address. Now try to find a place to live without a job. Try showing up to a job interview in tattered clothing. Or try to even get to the job interview with no transportation? See what I mean? Homelessness is certainly not as simple as choosing/not choosing to "be at the bottom."

PS: Democracy has nothing to do with it. Perhaps you meant meritocracy (I won't even get into the argument that calling our society a meritocracy is naively optimistic at best).
Life is filled with choices. Whether these choices directly or indirectly associates itself with homelessness or not, it can eventually result in no place to stay.

I'm curious to see if you've taken a poll to back your statements. Is there a research study to these findings or is this what you mere opinion? How do you know what the minority or majority of homeless people's choice are?

I don't think homeless people should have choices in their fate unless it is humane or to better themselves financially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond