Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 09:39 PM

4 posts, read 5,390 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My GF and I are moving to Richmond, Va at the end of August from Ga.

We are having trouble finding some apartments because we do not know Richmond at all.

Her job will be in the "Fan" area so any advice on where to look or where to avoid would be very useful.

Also, if anyone has any recommendations on some apartments in or around that area that would be much appreciated.

We're looking for anything under 700. Spacious, quiet, and if its in walking distance of things that would be a huge plus.

I'll also be looking for a Martial Arts (perfer taekwondo) place to either train or ask for jobs and/or real estate since I am a licensed real estate agent in GA.

Any advice on which Real Estate company dominates the Richmond area? And any advice on a Martial Arts school?

I've tried doing some research on the internet and came out with like 25 apartments to look at (we only have one day to really do any apt hunting since the truck will be rented for 3 days) so we're trying to narrow it down with some advice from people that know the Richmond area well.

Thanks in advance and hope to hear from some people soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 09:56 PM

3,800 posts, read 4,014,970 times
Wish you luck on your move. I am moving as well, but out of richmond. I too am a Real Estate agent, and though I don't work with them, Long and Foster has a good grip on this city. Living in the Fan is cool, everything is pretty close by, especially the bars....if thats your kind of thing. Have fun here, for I did not. Finding a place in the $700 range will be hard if you are looking in the Fan area. Try Henrico County, its right next door and a bit better. Good Luck once again!

Old 07-25-2007, 09:33 PM

Thanks for the good wishes. and thanks for the advice on the long and foster thing.

anyone else have any good advice about martial arts places, bad areas in the "fan" area or good areas in the "fan"?

or any advice on apts to look at?

Old 08-04-2007, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,462 times
Default Richmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIsGood View Post
Thanks for the good wishes. and thanks for the advice on the long and foster thing.

anyone else have any good advice about martial arts places, bad areas in the "fan" area or good areas in the "fan"?

or any advice on apts to look at?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I moved here last year,i live about 10 minutes from the fan,i go to a golds gym located in that area every day.I pay $685 for a townhouse with 2 bedrooms,1 1/2 bathroom,water and gas included(free heat).Berkeleys place appartments close to McGuire hospital.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:09 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,295,139 times
Within the Fan, further away from VCU would probably be quieter.

Old 08-04-2007, 06:50 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,109,295 times
As far as TKD, stay away from Dong's.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:31 AM

6 posts, read 30,527 times
If you can afford the fan I URGE you to just move there. Its one of the best neighborhoods in the city. There are plenty of martial arts here you don't need to worry about that.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:32 PM

Great! Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated....

So we found an apt... managed by Rivercity Real Estate... its a one bedroom with a sunroom for 590. its on North Blvd... our friend told us that's an okay part of town... he's correct isn't he?

So, stay away from Dong's? Ok. Well noted... is there a particular reason why though? I saw their website a couple days ago and it didn't seem TOO bad.

I wish I would have known earlier about that townhouse.. but thanks for the advice on it.

Is VCU close to N. BLVD? I am kinda worried about being too close to the school.

OH and one more very important question: Is there a korean market anywhere close? Mr Dong's gotta shop somewhere right?

Old 08-06-2007, 05:40 PM

486 posts, read 1,941,816 times
If you are talking about North Boulevard in Petersburg, no, it's nowhere near VCU. About 30 minutes away from Richmond. It's not really at all what you described that you were looking for.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:09 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,295,139 times
If you're talking about being on N. Boulevard, you're about 15 blocks from VCU and walking distance to Carytown (300+ shops, businesses, and restaurants), the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, and great restaurants. The name of the road is the Boulevard, not North Blvd just so you know. It is the western boundary of the Fan District, and the eastern boundary of West of the Boulevard/Museum District. Both are nice, urban neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: