Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 04:33 PM

11 posts, read 135,216 times

Advertisements

Hello! So I am looking for jobs in the Richmond area, but I have gotten so many mixed reviews on where to live! I am a 22 year old single female and I would like to live in a place that is lively but not extremely overrun with college students (which I guess wouldn't be TOO bad). I have a friend who would like me to live in the Short Pump area with her, but I fear it is just filled with suburban families and isn't really for the young and single. I've heard the Fan is lively, but filled with VCU students. I've been to Carytown and LOVED the feel of it, but I can't be too sure since I was only there for half a day. And I don't know much about the Museum District or anywhere else for that matter (like Glen Allen, the West End, etc). Does anyone have any info/suggestions for where I should live if I want a safe and exciting apartment? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 05:07 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,007 times
Some may disagree with me but I love the Shockoe Bottom & historic churchill area and is my favorite neighborhood in Richmond (the city proper) (they are sort of connected in a sense). It is historic, has tons of night life, It is urban hip and the apartments are mainly old Tobacco Warehouse convertions. I perfer it to the other areas mentioned because it is near the water and has more of a hip feel to it, has a variety of people and is not overcrowded with tons of Vcu Students. There are cafes, bars, coffee shops, even a farmers market and grocery store to walk to. You have to be a little careful in this area there are rough sections not too far away. Commute wise you are pretty central; close to the asouthside yet not too far from the west end or the airport (I-95/64) exits/entrance is very close.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:20 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,084,569 times
The Fan is very nice and, as you get further west towards Boulevard, the area has fewer VCU students. Carytown is great, too. Not sure about Shockoe as a place to live; fun to visit but I'd think it can definitely get a bit noisy at times.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:28 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,419,535 times
Both places have there advantages, the fan / carytown has that city feel with walkable everything, while short pump also has everything there is to have but you'll be driving. I live in Short Pump and it's awesome. I live in a luxury apt complex gyms, pools and all the toys and I'm still walking distance to my favorite bar There's plenty of young people around here. I'm 30 and wouldn't live here if it was only older people and families. It's not "city" but definitely not the suburbs either.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:01 PM

11 posts, read 135,216 times
Thanks for all the input guys! I think I'm leaning more toward the fan area after reading everything here. Although I've heard a lot of awesome things about the Shockoe Bottom area, I do keep hearing that it might not be particularly safe. I've heard that about the Church Hill area too. I've seen some Craigslist roommate listings from grad school students wanting roommates in the Jackson Ward area which I've been told to STAY FAR away from. But if these students are living there, it can't be that bad, right?

Old 05-08-2011, 04:02 PM

13 posts, read 30,748 times
I live in the West End...closer to Univ of Richmond. But I'm still very close to everything! Not in walking distance, but still very easy to get to restaurants and shops in Carytown and the Fan.

If you plan to rent an apartment, you will find more closer to the Fan than the West End.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:25 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,692,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrownan View Post
Thanks for all the input guys! I think I'm leaning more toward the fan area after reading everything here. Although I've heard a lot of awesome things about the Shockoe Bottom area, I do keep hearing that it might not be particularly safe. I've heard that about the Church Hill area too. I've seen some Craigslist roommate listings from grad school students wanting roommates in the Jackson Ward area which I've been told to STAY FAR away from. But if these students are living there, it can't be that bad, right?
My sister is a single female in her 40s and she feels safe in Shockoe Bottom and walks to Shockoe Slip at night after work along the river. I personally don't feel safe in Shockoe Bottom, but I am not a city person and she is. She loves it and is surrounded by young professionals.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:20 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,007 times
Shockoe Slip and Churchill are very safe but like every city you need to watch your surroundings crime happens. The two have come A LONG way in recent years.. And sadly many locals still think of them in the past. That's not to say of course there are areas not too far away that arent good. As for Jackson Ward it is up and comming and is not the safest but has some funky lofts for the urbanite and certain clusters are fine.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:48 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,702,987 times
I'd be concerned with traffic first (likely the biggest con) , crime second and the youth last with those areas.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:22 PM

326 posts, read 688,899 times
If you don't want to be around college students then stay away from the fan. The museum dist is probly a little too quiet for a 22 year old. if those are your 3 options i'd go with carytown especially since you say you liked it. it is however a big tourist area for the locals on weekends but shuts down at night
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond