U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-23-2011, 09:40 AM

33 posts, read 40,637 times
Default Fort Lee &or Richmond...where to live?...

Hello~.

My hubby just got an order to Fort Lee, VA from this fall.
(Actually, originally supposed to go to Fort Drum...but that got changed) I know we probably will have the option
to live on base but we are considering both on and off base weighing pros and cons at this time...
We will actually visit the area this weekend for hunting the place to live since we currently live in AL.

We can't decide where to live... so I turned to this forum...(yet, again~)

I have been reading old threads and found lots of info like some counties are better/safer than others... (i,e, chesterfield, chester,...)
There aren't many info/helpful sites as far as finding apartments...as much as I would like...
Some of the apartment that we are considering are belvedere and crowne village at swift creek... (but the rating had negative comments
than the positive ones at some sites and so we don't know how it really is...so it is hard for us to decide...does anyone know about these
complex? safety, noise, etc...)

I am somewhat into city-life but not so keen on living next to noisy neighbor/neighborhood... Also, don't want to make him commute
over an hour each way...(although he says he doesn't mind...) I think the ideal commute time for him will be 30-40min or so...

We more than likely will rent the place rather than to buy.(so far, we know we will be there only for two yrs...)

Things on our dream list would be...3 bd/rm w/garage in safe/quiet neighborhood, newer construction due to my asthma/allergy condition, pet-friendly(trail nearby is a plus...), access to nicer grocery store will be nice(maybe 10min drive or so), we don't have children and so
schools are not our priority,...I think that should cover it...

Is there such a place??? Are these apartment good fit for our needs/wants??? Are there others we should consider???

We hadn't explored the possibility of renting a condo...(minimal maintenance is very enticing to us...) We don't really know where to look
for that kind of thing...(well, I did look at hotpads but couldn't decide cauz we don't know the area as much as we would like to feel
comfortable enough to make decision...)

Will we have better luck finding a place if we use realtor's help? (if so, would you recommend one??)

I thank you in advance for any help, info and feedback you could provide me...
Thank you for taking the time to read my thread~.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 07:20 AM

1,146 posts, read 2,942,040 times
Do a search for some of my posts. I've put quite a bit on here about the apartments in the Chester area. Also, make sure you look at Automated Housing Referral Network (AHRN.com) v7.0. Many landlords/property managers will put their rental listings on that site, which is sponsored by the Department of Defense. You can also check Deprecated Browser Error, SargesList - Trusted Military Classifieds., and Military FSBO, Military by Owner, Military Homes for Sale by Owner, Military FSBO Homes for Rent, MilitaryFSBO, Military Real Estate.

Also, check out the Fort Lee Area Spouses' Club webpage, www.fortleespousesclub.com. There you will find a link to the page we maintain on one of the major social networking sites. Hopefully you will connect with military spouses who have been in your shoes and can offer some great advice!

Glad you will be joining us and an early welcome to the Fort Lee area!

Old 05-24-2011, 08:53 AM

33 posts, read 40,637 times
onevthoki,

Thank you very much for your reply! (I was starting to worry...not having much response...)

As we still are searching for the perfect house/apt, we accidentally ran into some of the sites you
included...like FSBO just last night. Other sites you mentioned really sounds promising as far as
trustworthiness is concerned...so thank you! I will look into all of them.

I had no idea about the spouses club having webpage. I will look into that as well.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post.
Thanks again~!

Old 05-28-2011, 12:03 AM
LDH

168 posts, read 342,364 times
Have you checked with the housing office at Fort Lee? I know that the AF requires people check in with the gaining housing office during a PCS to get permission to live in certain areas. They should be familiar with any problems with landlords or problem areas and will steer you away from them.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:03 PM

10,686 posts, read 8,494,818 times
Look up Prince George. Look for things close to 295. Richmond is too far to travel and Chester is nice but if there is an accident on route 95 then route 1 will be backed up for miles (hours). Just pull up a map of the area and look at it south of route 10 to route 144. While if you were in Prince George you would have much better logistics to the base.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:55 AM

7 posts, read 9,679 times
I am a DOD civilian who recently relocated to the DC area. I have a house for sale in Chester, VA. Built in 2010 3 bedroom 2.5 bath.

I qualified to do a short sale because of my situation. I paid 163k for the house in 2010. It is now being sold at 120k

If you are interested in a showing please call Steve Norris at ProFlex realty Steve Norris
(804) 677-7653

This is why a 25 year old, single young professional should NOT buy a house. lol. But hey, I learned alot from this experience.

[url=http://www.proflexrealty.com/ListingDetails.aspx?ListID=562118]</title> <meta http-equiv="Expires" content="-1" /> <meta http-equiv="Pragma" content="no-cache" /> <meta name="keywords" content="" /> <meta name="description" content="" /> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/Styles.css" /> <link rel="sty[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond