U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-05-2011, 08:23 PM

4 posts, read 5,891 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to Richmond on August 1 and we are having to do our housing search long distance.

Can anyone tell us about the Paper Company Apartments in the Manchester Area?

We like the fact that we can walk around the city from there over the bridge, but I've only been able to find 2 reviews online and both were negative, albeit old.

www.paperapts.com
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 09:17 PM

14 posts, read 16,715 times
As near as I can tell all the apartments here (maybe most places?) have negative reviews except for the really expensive ones. Mine has a bunch of reviews and they're almost all extremely negative, but it's actually not that bad. I mean it's not great, but it's not awful either- it's good for the price and location.

I don't know anything about that place in particular, though, sorry. It certainly looks nicer than where I live, ha.

I think part of the problem is that everyone has different standards for what they want and not just "good/bad."

Okay I guess that was a totally useless post but good luck in Richmond, it can be a pretty nice place to live if you work things out for yourself.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:11 PM

1,048 posts, read 3,177,917 times
I think I've been in these. The re-do is very nice. I seem to remember that some of the units had odd spaces/niches/etc. owing to the building shape.

The first thing that comes to my mind is how familiar are you with Richmond? I, too, like living in a city where I can walk around, do errands, etc. I've lived in several neighborhoods in downtown DC, Alexandria, and Arlington where that was wonderful. I keep looking in Richmond, however, for a "fully functional" city neighborhood. Some of the "nicest" ones are fairly suburban in feel, and many of the more urban ones don't have essentials like grocery stores, bookstores, movies, libraries, etc. There is "dining nearby," but very limited, and often not in an area I'd care to be walking after dinner. Downtown has improved, but it's still not like the bustling neighborhoods I've enjoyed elsewhere.

I'm not running down Paper Company or any of the other options, BTW. Just noted that you're doing this long distance and wanted to be sure you weren't making assumptions about downtown Richmond based on where you might be now.

Best of luck.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:00 PM

4 posts, read 5,891 times
Default Not familiar at all

My husband and I have never been to Richmond unless you count me be driven through it when I was 8.

We are in San Antonio and everything you do here requires a car. Half the city has never heard of a sidewalk and besides, how far do you really want to walk in 100+ degree heat.

We are planning on renting for a year before we commit to buying. Do you have any suggestions on areas that we should look in?

Part of our problem is we have 3 little 4 legged furry kids (<30 pounds all together) we are having a H-E-Double Hockey Sticks of a time finding some place that will allow dogs and that will allow more than 2.

We didn't intend to have 3, but I needed a therapy dog at one point and the baby provided that so we adopted the 3rd and final kid in our brood.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:30 PM

12 posts, read 23,443 times
I toured that place and my husband and I were literally about to fax in our application a couple weeks ago when they told us "oh sorry, we have a new pet policy where you can only have one 'aggressive breed' dog per apartment." They only allow 2 dogs though so you'll have to sneak the 3rd if you plan to move there. We really liked it and definitely would have moved in if they didn't have that new policy.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:58 PM

1,048 posts, read 3,177,917 times
Default Sounds Familiar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklineberry View Post
We are in San Antonio and everything you do here requires a car. Half the city has never heard of a sidewalk and besides, how far do you really want to walk in 100+ degree heat . . . .
Umm, sounds like the Richmond metro area, in fact. Tough call on neighborhoods to recommend. Manchester and Shockoe (more urban/industrial vibe) are not that much like The Fan (more historic district or university feel) or like the areas West of the Boulevard (Carytown, Museum District) that still feel like the city but have more retail and restaurants. You may be able to rent a rowhouse with a small yard, though, if your budget is flexible.

Try searching the Forum for some of the neighborhoods listed above to get more familiar? Sometimes the more focused the question, the better the answers.

Best of luck.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:24 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,722,434 times
I've been in the place as well. They are really nice and the prices are VERY competitive for quality downtown rentals (especially when you consider that even electricity is included, the one utility that is usually NOT included).

That being said, one of the reasons I decided against it was that the neighborhood just isn't that walkable. Sure you its within walking distance to the very walkable downtown, but I don't think I would consider a neighborhood 'walkable by association', if you know what I mean.

In fact, I would say its location is the reason its as affordable as it is. If it were on the other side of the river, I'd be willing to bet its rents would be at least 20-30% higher. Probably more. (This considering that, in quality of finish, I would say these apartment are superior to a lot of what you find in the actual downtown area, but at a comparable or cheaper cost.)

On the other hand, depending on your preferences, it may be worth the distance to be away from some of the 'noise' of downtown living.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,102 times
Depends on what you consider a value. There are many dogs in the building and with dogs come a few minor inconveniences. Fortunately their is a dog park, or more accurately, dog owner social pen. The buildings are located at the flood wall trail head which is great for walking, running and biking. When the weather is nice, I would walk to and from work in the financial district through the canal walk or Shockoe Slip. If I had a little extra time, I would walk home for lunch from my downtown office. Walking to and from the night life in Shockoe Slip is even easier as it is a 5 minute flat walk just over the Manchester bridge. The Buttermilk, Forrest Hill and North Bank mountain bike trails, the best urban mountain bike trails I've seen in the last 20 years, are less than a 2 mile bike ride away. From the front door to Forrest Hill>Butter Milk>North Bank> Canal Walk is about a 13 mile ride. Better be shape... You can even kayak on the James River and walk home! For relaxing, the large roof top deck overlooks the James River and the down town skyline. I would sit on the deck with a book or a glass of wine and watch the numerous Great Blue Herons fly around their rookery just across the Flood Wall. I also greatly appreciated the summer sun sets from the roof top deck. For me this place was a great value. The other selling point for me was the safe, easy and free parking. If you hate dogs, eschew friendly neighbors and prefer seclusion you won't like it here. I had to move but I'll miss it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond