U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-16-2011, 04:09 PM

2 posts, read 4,172 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I'm considering moving to Richmond and would love recommendations on neighborhoods I should consider moving into. I'm a 50 year old, single female. Would like to be in an area where it's easy to meet people and make new friends (so likely not a very suburban area.) I will be running my buiness out of my house. I love the arts. And I want to be in an area that has a good nightlife, as opposed to a place that rolls up the sidewalks at 8pm. And I'd like an area in which I can walk to restaurants, stores, etc., instead of having to drive everywhere. Shockoe Bottom sounds like it could well meet all these criteria, but I get the impression that most of the people who live there are much younger than me?

Any recommendations on good neighborhoods for me, as well as input on Shockoe, will be greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 10:29 PM

911 posts, read 784,916 times
Anything in central Richmond should work for you from the criteria youve laid out. Just depends on whether you like the neighborhood

Old 07-23-2011, 08:45 PM

384 posts, read 627,277 times
I'd check out Bellevue:
Bellevue

Old 10-04-2011, 08:57 PM

8 posts, read 11,487 times
Default Wondering where you ended up & how you like it...

Hi Mollycat,

I was getting ready to post a question about a good neighborhood fit for me (i'm 46) in Richmond when I ran across your post.

So since I seem to be following in your footsteps with a relocation to Rmond (from NoVa myself) and we are around the same age, both work from home, and seem to be looking for some of the same things, it would be great to hear from you (or anyone else with a similar bio and m.o) where you ended up and how you like it etc..

For me, btw, the walkability - especially for grocer/market as well as a restaurant or bar (or 2+) and dog friendliness are probably the most important factors of all.

I need to get moved in the next 2 month max and know next to nothing about Richmond yet (although I am starting to get quite excited about a change from the DC metro area) and due to a career change will have a pretty low budget to allocate for rent for the next few years.

Would love advice from anyone out there on rental space in one of these kinds of neighborhoods for myself and a small dog (studio / efficiencies / basement apartments fine if necessary) for no more than $700 at the most (including utilities) if that's possible!
Regards

Old 10-04-2011, 09:05 PM

Default Wondering where you ended up & how you like it...

Hi Mollycat,

I was getting ready to post a question about a good neighborhood fit for me (i'm 46) in Richmond when I ran across your post.

So since I seem to be following in your footsteps with a relocation to Rmond (from NoVa myself) and we are around the same age, both work from home, and seem to be looking for some of the same things, it would be great to hear from you (or anyone else with a similar bio and m.o) where you ended up and how you like it etc..

For me, btw, the walkability - especially for grocer/market as well as a restaurant or bar (or 2+) and dog friendliness are probably the most important factors of all.

I need to get moved in the next 2 month max and know next to nothing about Richmond yet (although I am starting to get quite excited about a change from the DC metro area) and due to a career change will have a pretty low budget to allocate for rent for the next few years.

Would love advice from anyone out there on rental space in one of these kinds of neighborhoods for myself and a small dog (studio / efficiencies / basement apartments fine if necessary) for no more than $700 at the most (including utilities) if that's possible!
Regards

Old 10-05-2011, 08:58 AM

2,738 posts, read 2,281,499 times
It depends on your budget. Here are a few options:

- The Fan - Very walkable, artsy, well-located for a business or for getting around the city, stays open late and is very social. VCU students will be mixed in, especially when you get closer to Monroe Park (or down the BLVD). Cost: $$$$

- The Museum District - Very walkable, artsy, well-located for a business or for getting around the city. It's a little further from downtown, but has Carytown. Carytown gets quiet a little early, despite being an urban shopping and restaurant center (although restaurants stay open later). There are less college students mixed in, but they're still there. Cost: $$$

- Church Hill - Very walkable, artsy, amazing location (very close to downtown), further from the Fan and Museum districts. There isn't as much retail or restaurants in the neighborhood, but you have the Slip and Shockoe Bottom very close by. I'd recommend you stay on the south side of Broad, although it's not completely unsafe on the north side (which is VERY dependent on where you go). There are some students mixed in, and depending on your business, it could be a great place. Cost: $$$

- Shockoe Bottom - I'm only listing it because it was mentioned. I don't know that I'd recommend living there. Not that you can't live there and be happy, but at night it gets very bar/partyish. I had a couple of good friends who love urban areas, and they got annoyed by the scene. It's someplace you want to be mindful later at night (not that you shouldn't be in other places, but maybe a bit moreso). It does have a great location, there's an artsy crowd, but I'm not sure about a business (again, depends on what you're going to do). Cost: $$ - $$$

- Bellevue - Someone else mentioned this neighborhood, so I'm listing it. I don't think this is where you want to be. It requires a bit more driving than you probably want, and the sidewalks roll up at 8pm (minus the couple restaurants/bars that are there). It's a wonderful neighborhood, but I would never live here if I were single. If you're a couple or a family, it's a great place. Cost: $$

- Downtown - This is becoming more and more of an attractive option. The John Marshall Hotel is being refurbished/renovated, and will likely be a cool place to live. I'm not sure about cost, but some of the condos downtown can be expensive. Cost: $$$ - $$$$

There are other places on the rise in Richmond, like Jackson Ward, Oregon Hill, etc., but I'll start with the above. It would be helpful to understand what your price range is and what type of business you'll be opening. Most of the above neighborhoods have associations...associated with them, so try searching online. In any event, best of luck!

EDIT: Oh, and one thing that's a challenge here in my experience, is the grocery thing. I hate the grocery stores in Richmond. The museum district has some good ones (for this metro), but there are some serious food deserts around. Richmond is very much built for "drive to the grocery store". That's not to say you can't go to some of the small markets like the fan has, but for getting all of the stuff you need, it can leave a little to be desired.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:03 PM

AGNEOA,
Thanks for getting back to me about this and for the great breakdown of the various neighborhoods. I really appreciate it!

To clarify on my end though: I just work out of my home for a large national company as opposed to actually owning my own business. So workwise, it doesn't really matter much where I live anymore - that choice will get to be based purely on my personal lifestyle preferences now.

However, AND IT'S A BIG however, I have just stepped out of management, and even out of direct sales, and taken a extremely substantial pay cut to do so. Hence my move out of Northern VA in the first place. (I have been battling an autoimmune disease the past few years and had to attempt a drastic lifestyle change before it won.)

So here's where it's probably going to be really tough - I really want to stay under 700 month - including utilities if at possible, although I could squeeze those out if I had to. I don't care if my place is a little old or a little run down or doesn't have all the latest greatest amenities. But I do care if it affords me the convenience Im looking for. Oh, and I guess I should mention my concern about safety (I'm a small woman with an even smaller dog to walk and I'm not in the very best health right now)....

So again, thanks for the help so far and any additional input will be
appreciated as well!
Regards, Melly

Oh WAIT! A final question - how on Craigslist do I figure out what is what neighborhood when listings often just indicate north, west, etc w/o necessarily giving the neighborhood (without resorting to the 'ol thumbtacks in map on wall thing)? OOPS, one more after all - I'm a little confused on the final consensus, so to speak, on the safety aspects of Churchill, Jackson Ward and Chamberlyn especially since I've read a bit of negativity about Chamberlyn for example but a lot of good things about Ginter Park. To top it off, I'm running across CL ads that list apts on Chamberlyn in Ginter Park for example?

Old 10-06-2011, 09:19 AM

2,738 posts, read 2,281,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrearly View Post
AGNEOA,
Thanks for getting back to me about this and for the great breakdown of the various neighborhoods. I really appreciate it!

To clarify on my end though: I just work out of my home for a large national company as opposed to actually owning my own business. So workwise, it doesn't really matter much where I live anymore - that choice will get to be based purely on my personal lifestyle preferences now.

However, AND IT'S A BIG however, I have just stepped out of management, and even out of direct sales, and taken a extremely substantial pay cut to do so. Hence my move out of Northern VA in the first place. (I have been battling an autoimmune disease the past few years and had to attempt a drastic lifestyle change before it won.)

So here's where it's probably going to be really tough - I really want to stay under 700 month - including utilities if at possible, although I could squeeze those out if I had to. I don't care if my place is a little old or a little run down or doesn't have all the latest greatest amenities. But I do care if it affords me the convenience Im looking for. Oh, and I guess I should mention my concern about safety (I'm a small woman with an even smaller dog to walk and I'm not in the very best health right now)....

So again, thanks for the help so far and any additional input will be
appreciated as well!
Regards, Melly

Oh WAIT! A final question - how on Craigslist do I figure out what is what neighborhood when listings often just indicate north, west, etc w/o necessarily giving the neighborhood (without resorting to the 'ol thumbtacks in map on wall thing)? OOPS, one more after all - I'm a little confused on the final consensus, so to speak, on the safety aspects of Churchill, Jackson Ward and Chamberlyn especially since I've read a bit of negativity about Chamberlyn for example but a lot of good things about Ginter Park. To top it off, I'm running across CL ads that list apts on Chamberlyn in Ginter Park for example?
Thanks for the additional information, that helps. Your budget might be tough, but not impossible in the Fan/Museum Districts. I've always found the Museum District to be a bit cheaper, but still with all the benefits. You'd have to search around to see if you can find something that fits your budget.

Church Hill and Jackson Ward are definitely a little edgier. I'm not as familiar with JW, but I think it's like Church Hill where you want to be mindful of where you rent. South of Broad for Church Hill is fine, but someone else will have to advise you on JW.

In terms of safety, I believe in street smarts, no matter where you are. You should be fine in the Fan, Museum, and Church Hill, as long as you are mindful of your surroundings. I use this rule even in NY's Upper East Side, because bad things can happen anywhere.

I would not recommend anything on Chamberlayne, but the Northside is cheaper than the other neighborhoods I've listed. If you are going to rent on the northside, I'd recommend the Bellevue neighborhood (borders are: Laburnum (on the south), Brook (on the east), Westbrook (on the north), Hermitage (on the west). I see a few houses to rent here and there, which are pretty affordable. You'd have to check Craigslist. This is where I live currently, and there are about 6 - 7 restaurants to walk to, a small underwhelming market, coffee shop, wine and cheese place, dry cleaners, CVS, pet store (opening soon), flower shop, used clothes store, etc. All of this is in walking distance if you live in the area. I do like living here, but it is quiet at night, and you have to drive for groceries and shopping. Chamberlayne is not far away, but the border is strong and I've never had any issues. Again, I use the same street smarts that I use in the Fan, etc.

On Craiglist, I've always just typed the specific neighborhood. Make sure to check the map of places you're looking at, because sometimes people use neighborhood names to get brought back in the search results.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:51 AM

911 posts, read 784,916 times
good info from ajneona.

Thinking about it, I'd add the Byrd park and Carilion neighborhoods, as well as the area around richmond stadium. All safe, and very walkable to Fan and Carytown. $700 will be tough, but isn't worlds out of the ballpark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond