Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 02:27 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,551,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaaa View Post
Richmond is by far the ugliest city I have ever been to. It's disgusting. It is a dump. You can't deny it. When coming in from the north, you see the old, crumbled factories falling onto their foundations as the smell of gasoline and trash permeates your car's windows. The city is covered in a residual haze that never, ever entirely clears. Richmond resembles post-WWII Soviet Russia. It was destroyed during the civil war, and was left there in its ruins which make up the city today. Why does this city have to be so filthy? It's the landfill of the South. This isn't against the actual people who live there.
Richmond, Soviet Russia? You Might as well go out of your way to say that Monument avenue resembles Gilpin Court!

P.S. Here Are some of the "ruins" That replaced what burned down
Attached Thumbnails
Richmond: The ugliest city in the United States-001-redone-b.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
Richmond, Soviet Russia? You Might as well go out of your way to say that Monument avenue resembles Gilpin Court!

P.S. Here Are some of the "ruins" That replaced what burned down
I forgot
Attached Thumbnails
Richmond: The ugliest city in the United States-001-redone.jpg  

Old 05-28-2012, 12:27 AM

774 posts, read 1,856,559 times
Interesting...
"Every place isn't for everyone."

To the lady from Florida ... this old truck driver can tell you that there are a LOT ... LOT ... of U.S. cities that look far worse than Richmond, Virginia.

At middle age ((cough, cough)) .. or am I an ... "early senior"... I'm discovering that what I see outside of myself is only a mirror of what I see inside myself. I can look at the weeds or the flowers. It's my choice.

If I'm not happy in one place... then why?
Wherever I go, I really do take myself with me... so if I have a subconscious program going on in the back of my head that constantly plays dissatisfaction, then I can be in Beverly Hills and all I'll see is the smog.

Life is short.
What am I going to do to create as much beauty and happiness as I can.
Post-Civil Rights taught me that the habit of complaining about cracks in the sidewalk isn't going to get them fixed... but buying a sack of concrete, and learning how to patch up that part of the sidewalk gives me satisfaction, exercises my creativity, beautifies the block, silently sets an example, and raises my self-esteem.

The place too ugly?
Well ... I can't control the world... it's going to do whatever it's going to do...
But I can paint my house (even if I'm a renter)
I can plant flowers, trees and shrubbery that makes my little spot a thing of sheer beauty.

I can take up a hobby like photography and discover the utter beauty in those post industrial ruins.
I can go to the local community college and learn Photoshop and Lightroom and turn those pictures into works of art that invites me into a new group of interesting friends and increases my income so I can move to a nicer neighborhood ... but like they say...

"Heaven begins at our feet"... so in a very real and true sense ... we're already IN HEAVEN ... it's just that many of us don't know how to view it very well yet.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:11 AM

153 posts, read 542,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80foe View Post
thats your opinion you have uh right to say dat but dont bash my city like dat if u kno nuttin aboot it and too da ones dat repled and bash da city too and are from here your garbage.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:03 PM

Just saying, but I've overheard many tourists downtown talking about how beautiful Richmond is.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:16 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
Just saying, but I've overheard many tourists downtown talking about how beautiful Richmond is.
That's because they got out of their car. The genius that started this thread comes off as having made a judgement of the city while passing through on the highway. I'm not even sure why we entertain this garbage.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:59 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,373,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaaa View Post
Richmond is by far the ugliest city I have ever been to. It's disgusting. It is a dump. You can't deny it. When coming in from the north, you see the old, crumbled factories falling onto their foundations as the smell of gasoline and trash permeates your car's windows. The city is covered in a residual haze that never, ever entirely clears. Richmond resembles post-WWII Soviet Russia. It was destroyed during the civil war, and was left there in its ruins which make up the city today. Why does this city have to be so filthy? It's the landfill of the South. This isn't against the actual people who live there.
I have heard this from many people ,but to judge richmond from what you see from I-95 isnt fair. maybe before you voice a opinion you should exit I-95 and take a look at what has been designated the prettiest street in America monument ave.
I DONT LIVE IN RICHMOND ANYMORE AND THE GOVT OF THE "commonwealth" is what is truley the ugliest in America in my mind.

dont be so hasty to judge a book by its cover!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond