Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 06:30 PM

4 posts, read 19,279 times

Advertisements

Richmond has changed a heck of a lot in the last 20 years. Just speaking about the West End, it changed for the worse. More traffic, land being developed everywhere.
I want the Richmond back I knew 20 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 07:58 PM

20 posts, read 71,205 times
Default Changes

I've lived in Richmond since 1977. Changes of note: Parker Field is now the Diamond, the Mosque is the Landmark Theater, the Nickel Bridge now costs much more. Gone is the Pantry Pride in the 1600 W. Broad, Kelly's Hamburgers, the Open Air Giant (where you could pick out a steak and they'd cook it for you right there). The VA ABC board loosened up a bit (but not enough to become a private enterprise). The Steak and Ale could have Ale in it's name and no longer to by "The Jolly Ox", all the Huddle Houses are gone and perhaps the greatest loss...Alden Aaroe is not part of WRVA.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:46 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,316,533 times
Here's an editorial from Style Weekly looking back on Richmond over the past 25 years:

Style Weekly : Richmond's alternative for news, arts, culture and opinion

Very good IMO.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:08 PM
CNI

194 posts, read 578,593 times
[SIZE=2]1st time poster. I have enjoyed reading many of the comments on past threads. For me, the question is more "Has Richmond changed ENOUGH IN THE RIGHT WAYS in the last 20 years?" Meaning, has Richmond made the necessary changes to be seriously considered one of the great U.S. cities (and not just SOUTHERN cities). Or even one of the most promising U.S. cities for future progress. When put that way I say NO. Richmond needs to get into the game. Richmond is arguably the only Federal Reserve city that has not fulfilled its potential on the national stage. I think one of the reasons many people feel so disgusted with Richmond is because they look at all of the potential that - for all kinds of stupid reasons (racism, nepotism, suburbanism, good ole boyism, rural politicians punishing urban areas, etc.) - goes to waste here and they get tired of waiting for that potential to be capitalized upon. So, for me, small changes addressing the wrong priorities is not impressive. Changes addressing the most pressing priorities would be much more impressive. Therefore, much more of the right kinds of changes are needed.
[/SIZE]

Old 10-24-2007, 07:16 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,316,533 times
What are the right kinds of changes, in your opinion?

Old 10-24-2007, 08:01 PM

3,868 posts, read 4,079,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNI View Post
[SIZE=2]1st time poster. I have enjoyed reading many of the comments on past threads. For me, the question is more "Has Richmond changed ENOUGH IN THE RIGHT WAYS in the last 20 years?" Meaning, has Richmond made the necessary changes to be seriously considered one of the great U.S. cities (and not just SOUTHERN cities). Or even one of the most promising U.S. cities for future progress. When put that way I say NO. Richmond needs to get into the game. Richmond is arguably the only Federal Reserve city that has not fulfilled its potential on the national stage. I think one of the reasons many people feel so disgusted with Richmond is because they look at all of the potential that - for all kinds of stupid reasons (racism, nepotism, suburbanism, good ole boyism, rural politicians punishing urban areas, etc.) - goes to waste here and they get tired of waiting for that potential to be capitalized upon. So, for me, small changes addressing the wrong priorities is not impressive. Changes addressing the most pressing priorities would be much more impressive. Therefore, much more of the right kinds of changes are needed.
[/SIZE]

If people in office here felt that way, I might not be moving back to Charlotte. Well on the other hand, I still think I would be.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:19 AM
CNI

194 posts, read 578,593 times
[SIZE=2]Right kinds of changes?
Maybe that should be a separate post topic.
Obviously, answers will vary according 2 who u ask. That seems to be part of the problem.
My opinion, in general Richmond area leaders mostly only solicit answers to the question you posed from select people (thus my "isms" comments).
This leads to past examples of poor prioritization ("poor prioritization" meaning there were obvious matters that should have been top priority). These past examples include: At one time having an embarrassing Parker Field for baseball. At one time being the largest metro area w/o an Engineering school. Having an airport that was an embarrassment. Allowing a vibrant downtown to be inverted to an embarrassment.
It also leads to large segments of the population being left out, not caring about, and not feeling a sense of pride in Richmond.
Leader's priorities & avg citizen's priorities continue to be misaligned. Examples: City of Richmond homicide rate allowed to skyrocket for years while other localities' police depts do nothing to help and the entire region gets a bad national reputation. Performance Arts Center fiasco while Richmond Coliseum loosing entertainment dollars to Charlottesville (that's a town, Richmond is a city). Being one step away from loosing the Richmond Braves. Robert E. Lee floodwall fiasco (where leaders decided to spend $$ to offend and ignore a large segment of this city's population). A public transportation system that is broken ("broken" because it does not get people - disabled, elderly, lower income...not just inner city minorities - to the jobs and services that they require and that require people; I laughed @ Target putting up job vacancy boards in Innsbrook. How about getting a jobs van to Richmond). Lack of affordable, safe, quality housing.
So, again, I think the "right kinds of changes" - or "What kinds of changes would you like to see in Richmond?" - question would make a good new post. I don't want to write too much here.
But I think the biggest change has to occur in alot of Richmonder's heads and hearts. I think we are perpetually held back by the past. If someone can provide hard numbers showing that this obsession with the past and Confederate history (Richmond does not practice balanced - Union and Confederacy - Civil War history) translates into a thriving, viable, and sustaining employment industry for this and future generations, directly impacts investment by national and international corporations, interest by the brightest and smartest young talent and their families in living in the region, and improved national stature then...fine. Let's do it. However, if it results in the region being associated with backwards, regressive ways, interferes with job creation (ex, a viable jobs engine like VCU have to compete with decaying institutions such as the Museum of the Confederacy), national institutions such as CBS refusing to use the old City of Richmond symbol (with the Confederate general on horseback) during the NCAA Women's Final basketball game, conventions choosing other cities without the same levels of "baggage", and younger talent fleeing to more progressive cities in NOVA, or other states then NO. We have a problem. If we have problems then we need to focus on those problems and identify ways to make the right kinds of change.
[/SIZE]

Old 01-13-2008, 03:49 PM

22 posts, read 98,383 times
I have to laugh at the mention of Short Pump. When I moved back after 25 years and my husband said he had a business meeting at Short Pump, I asked him where in the world at, since it's all woods. He couldn't stop laughing at me. What a shock when we drove out there that weekend and I saw everything - including a two-floor Barnes & Nobles and Arby's! Growing up, I remember being on a Greyhound going to the mountains with a family member, and Channel 12 was out a long ways from "Richmond." Now that same location is swallowed up with decay around it.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:47 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,897 times
I lived in Glen Allen/Laurel in 1994-1997. Short Pump off 64 was nothing but a small gas station.

With all the growth has Innsbrook to Short Pump grown for the good? How about crime?

Old 01-15-2008, 09:52 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
Too much traffic in the Innsbrook to Short Pump corridor, and now there's a even more stores and housing going up on that section of Broad. Disappointing but not unexpected.

I haven't noticed any real increase in crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond