Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 10:01 AM

60 posts, read 330,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Every One laments Short Pump but no one (goes) out there ... worse it is a natural progression.
It is indeed a sad dreary place. I find it easy to avoid unless I am going to the Blue Ridge in which case I drive past it without looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 11:42 AM

5 posts, read 12,299 times
I was born in Richmond, and lived around it through high school (late 70's). I've lived elsewhere in Va since then, but when I found out the Braves left, it really saddened me. It's bad enough that Va has never been able to sustain a professional or major league sports team, but to have a minor league team leave is even worse. I went to see the Braves as a kid many times. It's downright pathetic.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:58 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,314,203 times
Was a bummer to lose the Braves, but the Flying Squirrels are MUCH more engaged in the community. The Braves were run from Atlanta, and could care less about the fan experience.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:52 PM

5 posts, read 65,846 times
Since the beginning of this thread, a lot has happened.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:44 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
I have to say, I'm still loving the area. Love the Short Pump Mall, love being able to get away from suburbia when I want, good schools, etc. I think most of the changes have been for the better.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:24 AM

834 posts, read 2,277,609 times
Short pump is one of the most built up, bustling shopping centers I've seen. I guess that person meant sad and dreary because it's no longer farmland? I mean, that place is hopping with people and really every variety of store one could want. Even the gym, Family Fitness is easily the nicest gym I've been to in the 4 states I've lived in. I agree that the changes the city of Richmond and the Richmond metro area have all been for the better. But I guess some people yearn for the good old days when the city was full of crime and the suburbs were non-existent. I don't mean it to sound sarcastic but really, it seems like some people just don't like change, period. Doesn't matter if an area is improving in the crime and economy department. I don't get it. Oh well.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:26 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
Short pump is one of the most built up, bustling shopping centers I've seen. I guess that person meant sad and dreary because it's no longer farmland? I mean, that place is hopping with people and really every variety of store one could want. Even the gym, Family Fitness is easily the nicest gym I've been to in the 4 states I've lived in. I agree that the changes the city of Richmond and the Richmond metro area have all been for the better. But I guess some people yearn for the good old days when the city was full of crime and the suburbs were non-existent. I don't mean it to sound sarcastic but really, it seems like some people just don't like change, period. Doesn't matter if an area is improving in the crime and economy department. I don't get it. Oh well.
Short pump has become a very vibrant shopping area even with the current economy. People come from all over to shop there because it is so much easier than going to the DC area. For the daily commuter it can be a real hassle but the County is building/improving roads in the area to provide additional ways around the area.

Many people just want to turn Richmond back to the way it was in the 50's/60's well thats over. Even if the downtown had all the stores people who live in the burbs don't want to go to the "city" to shop. Many of us are 2nd generation suburban dwellers, we like it, always lived this way and I do not see any reason to switch. Thats just me and many feel different but as I said before if you don't like the SHort Pump Sprawl then don't move or shop there...your choice.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:36 PM

834 posts, read 2,277,609 times
I agree. I loved Short Pump. It wasn't just your typical sprawly shopping centers like you see in Florida or North Carolina all over. It was just so upscale and fresh feeling. I HATE shopping downtown in any city because parking is such a PITA and roads feel narrow. I'm just not a city person unless it's a huge city like DC or Manhattan where I can get around without a car.
I also miss Stony Point and River road shopping. Really Richmond west of 95 and especially west of 195 is a gorgeous city.
I realize east of 95 has its nice areas as well. Not doubting it. But that becomes more a matter of opinion and experience. But to me, there's just no doubt that areas like Windsor Farms, Bon Air, Stony Point, Wyndham are just beautiful, upscale, clean and safe areas. I really wish more people could see these parts of Richmond.

Last edited by Yankeerose00; 06-13-2011 at 01:45 PM..

Old 05-17-2012, 01:58 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,551,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom21 View Post
Really? I haven't lived there in 20 or so years. I still have relatives there but I didn't know that's what happened. Nobody, and I mean, nobody in my family even mentions Broad Street or downtown anymore. It's just the Malls and strip Malls (which I don't like either).
If they live way out in suburbia, that's probably what you'll hear. 2 major malls opened up in the past 10 years there. Also, short pump has become a major edge city.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:25 AM

311 posts, read 1,385,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
If they live way out in suburbia, that's probably what you'll hear. 2 major malls opened up in the past 10 years there. Also, short pump has become a major edge city.
Hmmm ... I made this comment 5 years ago. But okay ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond