U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 08:31 AM

4,321 posts, read 7,487,599 times

Advertisements

I'd like to hear from other folks reasons why should someone move to the Richmond area?
What opportunities are available to someone starting out?
How easy is it to start a business?
Which companies are moving into the area?
What are my options for housing and lifestyle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 11:49 AM

1,802 posts, read 5,654,990 times
Don't you live in the Richmond area?

Old 01-22-2012, 12:24 PM

Yup, but just wondering why others picked it.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:44 PM

834 posts, read 1,997,718 times
Well, I can give you our reasons for moving here years ago, and eventually moving back...

Lower cost of living, especially when compared to anything north of here

4 seasons

Mild winters compared to the northeast (harsher winters if you come from the deeper south), but for us the winters were mild. The older I get, the more I hate snow.

I didn't want to live more than 2 hours from the ocean. We looked into Charlotte and Raleigh and I was surprised that Raleigh is 4 hours and Charlotte is 6 hours from the ocean. No thanks.

The history...colonial and Civil War. Virginia overall is very rich in history.

This area has a nice melting pot of people without being full of too many transplants. Just enough that anyone can move here and fit in.

It's a love/hate thing but I personally love Short Pump's shopping. There isn't a store I can think of that isn't there!

I have a lot of family still in NJ and I like that I can take a 5-6 hour drive and visit them on the weekends or holidays. Same with my family in the south. I feel like I'm pretty centrally located to a lot.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:56 PM

3,672 posts, read 6,058,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
Well, I can give you our reasons for moving here years ago, and eventually moving back...

Lower cost of living, especially when compared to anything north of here

4 seasons

Mild winters compared to the northeast (harsher winters if you come from the deeper south), but for us the winters were mild. The older I get, the more I hate snow.

I didn't want to live more than 2 hours from the ocean. We looked into Charlotte and Raleigh and I was surprised that Raleigh is 4 hours and Charlotte is 6 hours from the ocean. No thanks.

The history...colonial and Civil War. Virginia overall is very rich in history.

This area has a nice melting pot of people without being full of too many transplants. Just enough that anyone can move here and fit in.

It's a love/hate thing but I personally love Short Pump's shopping. There isn't a store I can think of that isn't there!

I have a lot of family still in NJ and I like that I can take a 5-6 hour drive and visit them on the weekends or holidays. Same with my family in the south. I feel like I'm pretty centrally located to a lot.
raleigh is only 2 hours from the beach, maybe a little less (not that i dont agree with your other points haha)

Old 01-23-2012, 06:54 AM

186 posts, read 469,525 times
We recently moved from the north. We love it here. Beautiful state with wonderful weather; lots of crystal clear blue expansive skies and abundant sunshine; summer is not as bad as everyone says it is.....the north can get really hot and sticky too; night sky is incredible. Amazing geography and history. People in Richmond are lovely and friendly. We love the slower pace. Richmond Symphony and Ballet are impressive. Museums are top-notch. State Parks are well cared for and you can tell, loved by the people of Virginia. There's enough art in the city and surrounding areas to keep things interesting. Restaurants are evolving nicely and we have our favorites. Yes, we have been pleasantly surprised. It's a great place to live.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:52 PM

8,109 posts, read 9,554,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
I'd like to hear from other folks reasons why should someone move to the Richmond area?
What opportunities are available to someone starting out?
How easy is it to start a business?
Which companies are moving into the area?
What are my options for housing and lifestyle?
Looking for amunition to use on the LI Board?

Prior to the current economy there was a good quality of living in the metro Richmond area. Jobs, housing, schools we had it all it's still there but the jobs are harder to come by like everywhere else. At least we are not paying the metro NY COL.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:26 PM

Naw, after asking the question elsewhere I was just curious of why other folks picked Richmond.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:34 PM

8,109 posts, read 9,554,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Naw, after asking the question elsewhere I was just curious of why other folks picked Richmond.
That word is a dead give away where your from,I can still hear my mother saying "naw (nah) isn't a word". Which of course made me say it even more..

I like your current post on the LI board,I really can't see any one area where LI is cheaper....

Old 01-23-2012, 05:00 PM

My parents have been in NC for 18 years and their Brooklyn and Queens accents are still going strong. Lol.

I was talking with some other Yankees and they had a similar list to Yankee Rose's. And I will admit to agreeing with just about all of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or