U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 08:50 PM

554 posts, read 372,422 times

Advertisements

Does Richmond VA resemble cities further north like D.C. and Baltimore or does it resemble cities further south like Raleigh and Charlotte NC?? (neighborhoods, downtown, skyline ect...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 11:11 AM

845 posts, read 1,032,378 times
With the exception of mass rail transit and inner city rail/subway transit, Richmond without a doubt resembles cities to our north. With the exception of New Orleans, Richmond grew faster than other cities such as Raleigh, and Charlotte after the founding of the country. Once air conditioning became standard use, people flocked south, mainly bypassing Richmond thus giving cities in the south a larger growth percentage.

Richmond has historic dense neighborhoods, and the downtown, while absent of a super tall skyscraper, is still well built up and dense. Even population wise, though Richmond does not have as many people in it's city limits, it's population density is higher than Raleigh, Charlotte, and is very close to Atlanta. I have always thought Richmond was like a smaller Baltimore.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:52 PM

It reminds me of a smaller B-More or St Louis also, i see ppl on hear talk about how southern Richmond looks and i agree it has a lil southern flavor but compared to most southern cities Richmond does not resmble them at all.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:56 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,942,811 times
Don't urban Richmond and other southern cities however, tend to have more detached dwellings with at least some grass and trees ?

as opposed to Baltimore and other northern cities which have miles on end of row housing, with barely a single tree or spot of grass.

An interesting article was in today's Feb. 12th Washington Post newspaper, it mentioned that for cities to demolish a vacant and decaying row-house can cost $60K due to the need to prop-up the walls to protect them from caving-in and destroying the adjoining houses. While to demolish a free-standing house, such as are more common in Midwestern cities, is much easier and usually costs only $10K.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:43 PM

845 posts, read 1,032,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Don't urban Richmond and other southern cities however, tend to have more detached dwellings with at least some grass and trees ?

as opposed to Baltimore and other northern cities which have miles on end of row housing, with barely a single tree or spot of grass.
I have been to all the big cities north of Richmond, except for Boston. All of them do have single detached dwellings. Even NYC in the outskirts of some of the boroughs has them. The farther you get from the urban core of the old cities you will find single dwellings. I know for a fact that Philadelphia has them, and also Baltimore. Both of those cities are notorious for their row houses. Richmond also has row houses, just not on the scale of those two cities. Also Washington, DC has single dwelling houses with grass between them too. There's some in the historic neighborhood of Georgetown.

Still, compared with southern cities, save for New Orleans, and maybe Memphis, and Birmingham, Richmond still resembles northern cities more. It is grittier, dirtier, more historical, and within the city limits, quite dense.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:09 PM

625 posts, read 553,910 times
I have lived and/or visited most major cities from Boston to Miami and I think Richmond resembles more like Charlotte but with a dirtier downtown area (big banks really helped clean-up Downtown ..oops "Uptown" Charlotte before the financial meltdown happened). That is not necessarily a bad thing as I like both Richmond and Charlotte.

Those who are saying Richmond resembles more like the North must live in a slightly different parallel universe!! Just because a lot of Northerners have been moving into the West End in the last decade or so does not mean it "looks" Northern! Not buying it! It still has the "look and feel" of a Southern city and I like it that way!

Old 02-16-2012, 05:12 PM

And I am a "transplant" who moved to Richmond in 2005 after living in the big Northern cities for a number of years and I can clearly remember I felt the difference between cities North of DC and Richmond when I first came here.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:21 PM

And im sure if some ppl from the extreme south came to Richmond they would feel the same diffrence you felt. And besides banks how do Richmond and Charlotte reseamble?? You show me some dense historic neighborhoods in Charlotte like Richmond has. Charlotte has just recently become urban Richmond has been develped unlike most of these boom southern cities!

Old 02-17-2012, 08:48 AM

Charlotte has a Downtown very similar to Richmond Downtown ..the grid-style road blocks, old warehouses transformed into housing etc. If you go outside the city you get the sprawling suburbs that are akin to the West End and the Southside suburbs etc. Richmond was the capital of the Confederate so yes it has some more historic stuff but Charlotte still has some historic museums etc.. Richmond is still more like Charlotte than it is like say Baltimore, DC or Philadelphia! I have friends up North with whom I have traveled to Charlotte, Charleston etc. and they also definitely get the "Southern" feel as soon as they cross DC coming South. Richmond may not be AS Southern as cities in the deep South but still it is a Southern city imho !

Old 02-18-2012, 08:19 PM

I agree that Richmond is a southern city arguably mid atlantic but I was talking about appearance. Can u find Victorian or Italianate architecture in Charlotte the entire metro is either newly built or suburban so thats very different from Richmond I could maybe see if you said Charleston or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond