U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-20-2012, 10:22 PM

5 posts, read 9,579 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

My husband and I are thinking of moving from Kansas City to Richmond, VA this summer. We are looking for a neighborhood with older homes that could be considered an "up and coming" neighborhood. We currently live in a neighborhood in Kansas City that some people from the suburbs consider unsafe, but our neighbors are really nice and our house was pretty cheap. We don't need to worry about schools because we don't want any kids, but I do want to live in a place where I can walk my 3 dogs by myself and feel relatively safe. We are looking to spend between $100,000 and $200,000. I grew up in Midlothian and would like to live closer to my parents, but we want to avoid the suburbs! Thank you in advance for your advice!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 07:01 AM

64 posts, read 59,660 times
I have mentioned Westover Hills before. It is in the city just south over the Nickel Bridge from the Fan. The Fan would work for you as well as Cary Street. My sister in law lives in Westover Hills and only about 15 minutes to Midlothian. Cary Street is a quick 10 minutes or so down the Powhite Parkway to Midlothian. All of these are safe areas with some city feel to them and definately not the suburbs.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:33 AM

1,720 posts, read 3,941,513 times
Can you do Westover Hills under $200k? Bellevue on northside has some smaller bungalows that could fit your budget. Battery Park is very affordable but depends on your comfort zone. I think Byrd Park could have some options in your budget as well.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:21 PM

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:51 PM

911 posts, read 784,916 times
Lots of them, depends what you want. Byrd Park, Church Hill leap to mind. I wouldn't call Bellevue up and coming - I think its established - but it would work. Basically, you have a lot of good choices and we need more data to give you a solid rec - like how big a yard, what other amenities you want.

1-200k is too cheap for the Fan and westover hills though. But I wouldn't call either of those neighborhoods up and coming either...

Old 02-25-2012, 07:37 PM

8 posts, read 20,088 times
Default Look in Carver

You can get new construction in downtown for a bit over 200K that meets your criteria. We just moved into one and love it. If you need more details please PM me.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:51 PM

Default thanks

Thanks again for all the responses. To narrow down a little more about our ideal home...We are looking for a house with at least 2 bedrooms and 1.5 baths. We would also like a house with a fenced in yard so we can let the dogs outside. A garage would be nice since my husband has a motorcycle...I know that isn't always easy to find in older homes, but some of houses that I have seen online have detached garages. Someone I talked to mentioned the Lakeside area of town--what do you all think about Lakeside?

Old 02-26-2012, 02:57 PM

384 posts, read 627,277 times
I'd explore Woodland Heights!

Old 02-26-2012, 09:53 PM

I am looking at Woodland Heights--that does seem like a good possibility! Thanks again.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:06 PM

384 posts, read 627,277 times
i think it may be a good fit from what you have mentioned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond