Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,735 times

Advertisements

Hello I have a few questions about Richmond and I would love any advice!

I will be graduating from a college in NY this May and I have been applying to several jobs in Richmond. My college roommate is also moving down to Richmond for graduate studies. I have done some research and have found that the apartments are fairly cheap. I was told that Sockhoe Bottom is a nicer area.

The apartments that I have found are located on West Marshall Street, 2212-A14 Riverside Dr., and 603 A Westover Hills Blvd. Are these located in decent areas? And by that I mean, safer than other areas?

I know the obvious that you shouldn't walk alone at night and I have no clue why I would be out past 1 a.m. near nightclubs. Ha.

I am also wondering what the "normal" price for a one bedroom apartment would be. I've found prices at $625, $630, and $595. Naturally, I am suspicious since many other cities have extremely high rent prices even for a one bedroom. So I am wondering if these are legitimate. I found these places from this site: Apartments For Rent | Find the Best Apartment - ApartmentHomeLiving.com. (I am always suspicious when things seem to good to be true.)

Some other random questions:

1.) How is the arts scene? Are there places to take yoga, dance, and music classes? Is there a community theater?

2.) Are there organic food stores or co-ops or farmer's markets?

3.) Are there buses and taxis? If so, are there also "fake" ones like in NYC?

I have been to Arlington before and I LOVED it so I am excited at the possibility of moving to VA, but I also like to be realistic.

Thank you so much in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 11:31 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,693,412 times
It's Shockoe Bottom. That is very cheap for an apartment in Shockoe Bottom. I would say $800-$900 is more typical. I've lived in Arlington and I don't think Richmond has much in common with it.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:02 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
that is suspiciously cheap. i agree 800-900 is more normal. the 1 bdrms in my complex range from 900-1150- they are new and include all utilities but they are also a little bit too close to the questionable parts of town.

theres lots of artsy stuff as vcu is a huge arts/music school and theres a farmers market right in shockoe bottom. there are busses but i wouldnt ride them. there are taxis, but prob nowhere near as many as in nyc. ive never heard of a "fake" taxi, but again i dont ride taxis. i think most people have cars unless they're students or very poor

Old 02-29-2012, 01:12 PM

696 posts, read 1,301,245 times
The Richmond Downtown/Shockoe crowd is surprisingly hip and artsy and you will probably enjoy living within the entire 3-4 mile gamut of the Fan to Shockoe area. However, outside of that, the greater Richmond area is very different from Northern Virginia/DC suburbs (although still much cheaper), so don't think of living in Richmond as a "substitute" to living in Arlington, but only if Richmond stands out to you on its own might (and I am not necessarily implying that it won't!). A recon trip is always a good idea before making a big move, and this is true regardless of where it is you are moving to!

Best wishes with your move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean3122 View Post
I have been to Arlington before and I LOVED it so I am excited at the possibility of moving to VA, but I also like to be realistic.

Thank you so much in advance!!

Old 02-29-2012, 05:32 PM

383 posts, read 1,016,360 times
The addresses you provided ARE NOT in the bottom. That is why the prices are what they are...

Old 03-01-2012, 12:27 PM

111 posts, read 241,885 times
He said Sock Ho.

*giggling*

Old 03-02-2012, 02:31 PM

326 posts, read 688,941 times
Excellent catering!

Old 03-05-2012, 08:38 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,775,375 times
I've lived in Arlington. I like Richmond better. You may, or may not.

Oragnic, Arts, buses taxis - yes. Organic and Arts excellent, buses and taxis less so.

One bedroom price is probably give or take 800. Much cheaper than that is likely to be for a reason. Richmond IS cheap though, if you come from most places north or on the west coast. Expensive probably if you are from the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond