Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 02:51 PM

14 posts, read 27,733 times

Advertisements

Who else has seen this? It makes me so angry. The police have been their since past breakfast time so they know what's going on. Apparently these people actually had permission to set that up. Of course I have no problem with people who are opposed to abortion making their viewpoint known, but the way they're doing it is totally inappropriate. I shouldn't have to deal with giant pictures of bloodied fetuses and comparisons to the nazis in order to use the library.

Also since the morning there has been an increasing number of people protesting the displays. So far they've been peaceful and I'm happy they are there to show that this is not what VCU student body is about.

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 03:20 PM

here are some people's reactions to them:
genocide awareness project | Tumblr

They apparently did the same thing at GMU and someone there took pictures at the above link if you want to see what it pretty much looks like now.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:56 PM

696 posts, read 1,296,493 times
Peaceful display using materials that draw attention. Don't see what's wrong with that.

I am pro-choice btw !

Old 04-05-2012, 04:00 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,137,291 times
didnt "the other side" just have a huge protest downtown a few weeks ago? im all for abortion or "choice", but let them have their turn. we all know its not a representative opinion at an urban university

Old 04-05-2012, 04:33 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,294,660 times
Don't these people show up at every college campus? Showed up at mine? I don't care for their methods personally, but it's free speech.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:33 PM

Part of the issue with this is that they are deliberately trying to upset people in order to make people more vulnerable and more likely to accept their arguments. There are students here who have a history of abuse or who have been the targets of violence, have had traumatic experiences in regards to abortion, etc. To me it's not okay to put up displays (pictures of bloody fetuses, naked corpses killed in nazi germany, etc) that will cause that kind of reaction just so you can shock people, especially when they're put in an area that students can't avoid.

I think people who immediately respond "free speech" or other things like this aren't really thinking about it. It's just a way of shutting down one's thought process or preventing discussion that is centered around some of actual problem with this. Is "free speech" more important than university students being able to engage in their studies? Why can't they go speak somewhere that people have a choice about whether they want to listen? (the "warning" signs are a total joke too. do they really think people are going to be like "I guess I just won't have lunch or print out my essay that's due today"?)

I know people who would be considered by most people to have psychiatric problems and something like this could totally shut them down to the point where people would try to force them into a hospital. It's just not okay to put people in that situation, especially when they're paying a lot of money for the privilege of being a student.

By the way, I don't identify as "pro life" or "pro choice." I don't think either way is useful for understanding the world and both sides tend to just talk past each other and not address each other's points.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:47 PM

let me say that if there had been some kind anti-abortion student rally with actual people I would not object to that at all. and if someone who agreed with my opinions about things used similar tactics I would still object.

anyway thank you all for sharing your thoughts.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:23 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,294,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrist View Post

I think people who immediately respond "free speech" or other things like this aren't really thinking about it. It's just a way of shutting down one's thought process or preventing discussion that is centered around some of actual problem with this.
I completely disagree. You're basically saying these people don't have the right to express their views because it will upset people? People say or display images of things that disturb me or p*ss me off, but I don't think that means they can't have the right to express their opinion. The real world can be a cruel place, but the world you propose is an even scarier place.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
I completely disagree. You're basically saying these people don't have the right to express their views because it will upset people? People say or display images of things that disturb me or p*ss me off, but I don't think that means they can't have the right to express their opinion. The real world can be a cruel place, but the world you propose is an even scarier place.
No, I'm saying people unaffiliated with the university in any way should not be given permission to put up graphic posters that will make what was supposed to be a public area created for learning inaccessible to some of the very people who are paying to be there. If it actually interferes with people's learning then it has crossed a line.

It has nothing to do with their opinions. I would have been okay with it if they had rented a room in the student commons and had recruited some students to stand outside and talk to people about the displays. I wouldn't have been okay with it if people organized this way for I cause I support.

If I wanted to put up giant posters do you think they'd let me? I'm not even allowed to put up a flier in the student commons without getting permission.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:40 PM

also I have seen a display of actual aborted fetuses that were preserved in fluid and they look nothing like the pictures did

okay editing this post to add some more stuff.

final question, for people with children. would you want your kids to see this? should a 2-5 year old child have to see this? it turns out there are sometimes, you know, people with children on campus.

also I'm starting to get upset and I don't want to deal with that and I don't want you all to deal with that so I am going to step away for a few days. maybe people here will have more to say during that time.

anyway to me thinking about your words/choices/actions impact other people is not scary. it is really good. I wish people thought more about the effects they have on other people's lives or just how they make people feel. just because something is legal doesn't mean it's a good thing to do and I don't just do/say whatever I want because I care the impact I have and I care about other people.

for instance I only wear unscented deodorant because I know scented deodorant makes some people really sick. someone should be able to sit next to me on a bus and not feel nauseous. this costs me so little but it can make such a big difference for someone.

basically these people just don't care about how they impact other people. they have the moral high ground, so they can do what they want. I think that is way more scary than saying people should have the choice about whether or not they want to see graphic pictures and if they do want to see them, they should be able to choose a context that will be safe for them.

like I said I am going to give this topic some space. maybe no one will say more, maybe people will say a lot more. either way it's okay. to everyone: thanks for having talked with me.

Last edited by wrist; 04-05-2012 at 07:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: