Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 10:06 AM

3 posts, read 7,676 times

Advertisements

Hanover County...best schools in the region. Check them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2007, 03:51 PM

5 posts, read 17,246 times
The "FAR" west end is by far the best. Two schools here (godwin and deep run) were in the US News' list of best high schools in america. most are the neighborhoods are upper middle class, with a couple middle and upper.

The regular West End is closer to the city. The schools are only okay and it is a middle class to lower middle class area

There is a lot of potential in this area, and the interstate is close by. I live in short pump (off of three chopt and pump for you richmonders) and I64 is less than 3 miles, I295 less than 5, and I288 about 5)

Also gas is a cheaper in this part of town than other parts. (currently ~2.75 here compared to ~2.90 in northside and downtown)
Short Pump is not as bad as people make it out to be. Some complain about the traffic, but having lived in NYC and Raleigh, this is nothing (we're talking like 1 mile/min at worst) Besides the fact that Short Pump is like 3sq miles at the biggest, and there are some good stores there (mall (macys, nordys, dillards), walmart, skatenation, movie theater, best buy, circuit city, target, kohls, etc)

FYI: SHORT PUMP ISNT THE ONLY PART OF THE FAR WEST END.
You can live your normal life just fine without going to short pump. There are other malls, groceries, movie theaters not in short pump. There are only a few neighborhoods in short pump itself anyway. (ITS NOT BIG PPL!) But if this still isnt your deal, then glen allen is just as good. However the further you go in glen allen from short pump the closer you get to the northside which has pretty sketch neighborhoods.

and anyone who lives in chesterfield and complains about short pump traffic is insane. many part of c-field are subdivisions that open up into main streets, with not many highways around...leading to insane congestion. seriously theres I288 (on the outskirts tho), Chippenham (150) which is 2 lanes and has a 55mph limit, and powhite, which is a toll road.

but heres a breakdown in my opinion of area schools (generally)

Far west end- great
west end- good
north side- poor
richmond city (below the river)- fair
richmond city (above the river)- poor
east end- poor
chesterfield (closer to richmond)- fair/good
chesterfield (more remote from city)- good/great
hanover- good/great

the trend is that the more black population in an area, the less funding and the worse the school is. So its not a surprise that the far west end, outer chesterfield, and hanover have higher white populations and better schools.

and before someone blasts me for being racsist against blacks, i AM black

Old 12-25-2007, 10:34 PM

9 posts, read 33,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rharriston View Post
The "FAR" west end is by far the best. Two schools here (godwin and deep run) were in the US News' list of best high schools in america. most are the neighborhoods are upper middle class, with a couple middle and upper.

The regular West End is closer to the city. The schools are only okay and it is a middle class to lower middle class area

There is a lot of potential in this area, and the interstate is close by. I live in short pump (off of three chopt and pump for you richmonders) and I64 is less than 3 miles, I295 less than 5, and I288 about 5)

Also gas is a cheaper in this part of town than other parts. (currently ~2.75 here compared to ~2.90 in northside and downtown)
Short Pump is not as bad as people make it out to be. Some complain about the traffic, but having lived in NYC and Raleigh, this is nothing (we're talking like 1 mile/min at worst) Besides the fact that Short Pump is like 3sq miles at the biggest, and there are some good stores there (mall (macys, nordys, dillards), walmart, skatenation, movie theater, best buy, circuit city, target, kohls, etc)

FYI: SHORT PUMP ISNT THE ONLY PART OF THE FAR WEST END.
You can live your normal life just fine without going to short pump. There are other malls, groceries, movie theaters not in short pump. There are only a few neighborhoods in short pump itself anyway. (ITS NOT BIG PPL!) But if this still isnt your deal, then glen allen is just as good. However the further you go in glen allen from short pump the closer you get to the northside which has pretty sketch neighborhoods.

and anyone who lives in chesterfield and complains about short pump traffic is insane. many part of c-field are subdivisions that open up into main streets, with not many highways around...leading to insane congestion. seriously theres I288 (on the outskirts tho), Chippenham (150) which is 2 lanes and has a 55mph limit, and powhite, which is a toll road.

but heres a breakdown in my opinion of area schools (generally)

Far west end- great
west end- good
north side- poor
richmond city (below the river)- fair
richmond city (above the river)- poor
east end- poor
chesterfield (closer to richmond)- fair/good
chesterfield (more remote from city)- good/great
hanover- good/great

the trend is that the more black population in an area, the less funding and the worse the school is. So its not a surprise that the far west end, outer chesterfield, and hanover have higher white populations and better schools.

and before someone blasts me for being racsist against blacks, i AM black
You should visit Chesterfield more often or at least drive the roads.
Last I checked Chippenham (150) was 6 lanes (3 each direction) and the speed limit on that highway is 60 mph somewhere South of US rt60.

As for schools, Chesterfield also had at least 3 high schools to make the same list you quote above. Best point for anyone moving to the Richmond area...move into one of the surrounding counties if you have children to educate and want to keep them in a public school system. Richmond City does have a few VERY nice high schools but they are gifted education schools (Community & Maggie Walker come to mind) with stiff entrance requirements.

As for the funding: funding comes from local taxpayers.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:42 PM

5 posts, read 17,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead Fred View Post
You should visit Chesterfield more often or at least drive the roads.
Last I checked Chippenham (150) was 6 lanes (3 each direction) and the speed limit on that highway is 60 mph somewhere South of US rt60.

As for schools, Chesterfield also had at least 3 high schools to make the same list you quote above. Best point for anyone moving to the Richmond area...move into one of the surrounding counties if you have children to educate and want to keep them in a public school system. Richmond City does have a few VERY nice high schools but they are gifted education schools (Community & Maggie Walker come to mind) with stiff entrance requirements.

As for the funding: funding comes from local taxpayers.
well i was referring to the northern part of chippenham, where it IS 2 lanes and the speed limit is 55. i was on it yesterday thank you very much. Also, Maggie Walker is a magnet-type school an has kids from all over the region, not just richmond city kids, thats why its so good.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:18 AM

60 posts, read 330,114 times
$600,000 ought to buy you a fine school system and as to Episcopal Churches, theres one every block or two, especially in the city.

Back in the day (colonial times), the Church of England was the state church in Virginia.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:50 AM

15 posts, read 82,400 times
I would suggest you go with the west end of Henrico or Mechanicsville.

The west end would certainly fit your price range appropriately and the schools are great, it is in a great location, and it is a very safe neighborhood. However, it may not be "cutesy" enough. The information given by VAGrl on the high school programs in Chesterfield are also available in Henrico County. I am currently enrolled in their specialty center for leadership, government, and global economics.

Mechanicsville has good schools, is very safe, and relatively "cutesy," and while it still has a country feel with a lot of trees and open air. While it may seem to be in the middle of nowhere, it is very close to the highway, and is a mere 15 minutes from the city.

I have not mentioned Chesterfield county. This is because although it is a very nice area, as a native Richmonder, the only time I have ventured into Chesterfield is to visit friends and go to the dentist. I feel as if other places in Richmond have better attractions, restaurants, events, etc. It is relatively far away from the city and every part of Richmond that I love.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,681 times
Hi,
My husband and I are thinking of relocating to Richmond too. I love Virginia and the prospects of actual seasons--we've been living in Texas for the past six years. Our price range will be 200K-300K and would love to be in an area with good schools--my son in almost a year old, but we would love to not have to move again.
Also, any recommendations on not to pushy realtors to talk to. Thanks.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:41 PM

66 posts, read 346,748 times
I thank you all for your help. My family will be on the look out most likely this spring break in April being Easter falls early. I hate it here in CT and my wife is Aussie and lived in the UK for 15 years: she hates the cold, long winters. How are the Winters by Richmond anyway, like how much avg snow, avg cold etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond