Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2012, 06:25 PM

18 posts, read 43,037 times

Advertisements

It would appear that Richmond has lots of buildings converted to apartments-- but many seem to cater to college students.

Are there any particular affordable complexes in the city (i.e. under $1500) that do not cater to college students and provide a decent residence for professionals of all ages?

[As an aside, while the commute would be too far for me, there are some very attractive, new loft apartments in Petersburg. Obviously their developers have a higher standard...or more discerning clientele.]

Thanks, especially from those who have lived in one place or another, and now realize that despite the pretty pictures, too many of their fellow residents act like they are in a frat house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 06:50 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,291,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco Pazzo View Post

[Obviously their developers have a higher standard...or more discerning clientele.]
I don't get this statement regarding Petersburg developers, many of whom are developers from Richmond. As a young professional, I work w/ a couple folks that live in the Lucky Strike Bldg on Tobacco Row. Given the rents, I get the sense that there aren't many college students (maybe some med students). There are also a few places in Manchester... being across the river, it's not as popular w/ college kids.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:14 AM

18 posts, read 43,037 times
RE: Petersburg

That was just an observation based on listings on Craigslist. Maybe the photography is better. For many loft complexes in Richmond (save Canal & River Lofts @ Tobacco Row) the web presentations aren't all that great. And even the River Lofts website is very inconsistent on info such as Pet Policy. My opinion, only.

For instance, take a look a these properties currently on CL

$675 - $1265 : DESIGNER LOFTS DOWNTOWN - Walk to Restaurants! Odd Fellows
Petersburg's Hottest New Lofts! Perry Street Lofts
Gorgeous Loft Style**Utilities included** High Street Lofts
Come Check It Out, You'll Love What You'll See!!!! River Street Lofts
Southern Express**Above Demolition Coffee** Southern Express Lofts
GREAT LOCATION!! Come see the loft apartments near VSU! Lofts @ 301 Dunlop
Large, Luxury 2 Bedrooms Available Now! Butterworth Lofts (Hopewell)

Old 06-20-2012, 09:22 AM

13,323 posts, read 26,772,505 times
It's been a while since I lived in the area, but has Hopewell improved any? It used to have a horrible chemical smell, and the town amenities were very basic.

Apparently Petersburg has several interesting loft buildings now.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:27 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,133,800 times
well there also isn't a large college crowd in petersburg since there isn't a large college (or a college at all? at least none that i've heard of). i know what you mean. part of the problem is that even within the communities marketed to "young professionals" the young professionals will act like they're still in college. you might have better luck with the places on the higher end of your budget. some of the places right along the river seem to fit in that category.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:55 AM

5 posts, read 12,957 times
While shopping around for which apartment I wanted to live in I toured Hopewell Lofts Hopewell Lofts which was a pretty cool concept since it was an old High School which was converted to Lofts. I choose Old Towne Petersburg since it is closer to work. These developers have done a wonderful job restoring such a small town RICH in history out here in Petersburg. I could not be any happier with my decision in living at Mayton Transfer Lofts. Most of the tenants in these buildings are military from Ft. Lee and a lot of professionals in the medical and education field.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
well there also isn't a large college crowd in petersburg since there isn't a large college (or a college at all? at least none that i've heard of).
There is Virginia State, a historically black university. Its address is sometimes Ettrick, but it's really just north of the river in Petersburg. However, their off-campus listings are in the $400-600 range. So most of their students may not be looking at the lofts.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-20-2012 at 11:07 AM..

Old 06-20-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_transplant View Post
While shopping around for which apartment I wanted to live in I toured Hopewell Lofts Hopewell Lofts which was a pretty cool concept since it was an old High School which was converted to Lofts.
I also think it's a cool idea to use a high school. However, the floor-plans showed some interior bedrooms with windows onto the hallway. Do you remember seeing interior windows?

I'm glad you like the Mayton Transfer lofts. I also remember the Odd Fellows Building in Petersburg which was on the street which had a few antique shops.

Petersburg also has a gorgeous old library. As they are building a new library, I wonder if the old library on South Sycamore would be for sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond