Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should cary be closed off?
yes 8 33.33%
no 16 66.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 09:26 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times

Advertisements

I don't think Richmond can really plan what the city will be like, it takes vision of people like the late Eddie Eck, Sidney Gunst or Millie Jones to just make it happen. Richmond has improved a lot but areas outside of Richmond already have plenty of shopping and chain eateries, so trying to make a new shopping hub to bring in suburbanites will be a waste, unless it's geared 90% towards those living in Richmond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 01:43 PM

36 posts, read 57,486 times
I am happy for the support, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't want a mall like MacArthur smattered into downtown... It's just aesthetically wrong, not to mention horrible when you think about it. I don't want to drive down Broad and see this gargantuan, oversized retail building next to something as beautiful as say, Old City Hall. Its just not right. Those structures belong in the suburbs, not in downtown. Urban storefronts instead of shopping malls. That's the direction times square has driven in, and look where it has gotten them. And I'm not saying we have to shove aside all our lovely mom and pop shops and restaurants for chains. Indeed, a good national chain here and there would work. And it is how Richmond can thrive.

On the matter of mass transit and parking, Norfolk has thrived with the tide, connecting its downtown to other areas, and more, and already ridership has surpassed a million in one year. Apparently occupancy downtown is at 95 percent, and if that's the case, then I'm sure those residents (which combine to about 8,000 in downtown) plus the 30000 some workers who could possible use the stops on the LRT or BRT lines could reach that number in weeks.. It's a matter of strategizing.

But that doesn't mean sit there and conduct studies for decades and take no action, something that RVA does an excellent job of....

Old 07-23-2012, 02:37 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,552,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-Richmond-VA View Post
I am happy for the support, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't want a mall like MacArthur smattered into downtown... It's just aesthetically wrong, not to mention horrible when you think about it. I don't want to drive down Broad and see this gargantuan, oversized retail building next to something as beautiful as say, Old City Hall. Its just not right. Those structures belong in the suburbs, not in downtown. Urban storefronts instead of shopping malls. That's the direction times square has driven in, and look where it has gotten them. And I'm not saying we have to shove aside all our lovely mom and pop shops and restaurants for chains. Indeed, a good national chain here and there would work. And it is how Richmond can thrive.

On the matter of mass transit and parking, Norfolk has thrived with the tide, connecting its downtown to other areas, and more, and already ridership has surpassed a million in one year. Apparently occupancy downtown is at 95 percent, and if that's the case, then I'm sure those residents (which combine to about 8,000 in downtown) plus the 30000 some workers who could possible use the stops on the LRT or BRT lines could reach that number in weeks.. It's a matter of strategizing.

But that doesn't mean sit there and conduct studies for decades and take no action, something that RVA does an excellent job of....
originally I just said Block Cary, with this in mind.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:18 PM

Wait, block Cary as in close it off, as the poll says?

You thought I wanted all that stuff to happen in Caryto......

nonononononononononono I want it to happen in downtown, like as in, Broad street, part of the new arts district, except make it a true mixed-use district. You know, residential, offices, retail, and cultural all in one area. That's what ArtBusiness Richmond is about

But no, sadly I don't think any of that will happen in Carytown. Although that is known for it's local shops, and I think maybe it should stay that way. Chains could thrive better in an urban environment. Not that C-town isn't urban, but, more in, like downtown, on floor levels of multi-story buildings, maybe in replenished, formerly-blighted buildings.....

Old 07-23-2012, 05:00 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,552,348 times
Quote:
Wait, block Cary as in close it off, as the poll says?

You thought I wanted all that stuff to happen in Caryto......

nonononononononononono I want it to happen in downtown, like as in, Broad street, part of the new arts district, except make it a true mixed-use district. You know, residential, offices, retail, and cultural all in one area. That's what ArtBusiness Richmond is about

But no, sadly I don't think any of that will happen in Carytown. Although that is known for it's local shops, and I think maybe it should stay that way. Chains could thrive better in an urban environment. Not that C-town isn't urban, but, more in, like downtown, on floor levels of multi-story buildings, maybe in replenished, formerly-blighted buildings.....
NO. Downtown Cary Street in the SHOCKOE SLIP

Old 07-23-2012, 08:31 PM

326 posts, read 689,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
NO. Downtown Cary Street in the SHOCKOE SLIP
Shockoe Slip is supposed to be an old Richmond style classic of nice restaurants and cafes, turning it into short pump downtown would **** off a lot of Richmonders

Old 07-23-2012, 08:38 PM

Ohh.... Cary down there....man that place is already thriving with them lots... I'M TALKING ABOUT DOWNTOWN WITH BROAD AND ARTS DISTRICT..... if one would close cary off down there, they'd need a lot more sights and attractions and things to do and good reasoning to do it, because i know otherwise, it would just create traffic problems down there, and would be a waste of money. Maybe when that train shed gets revitalized and that national slavery museum gets built. Then, my friend, only then.....

Old 07-23-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Ohh.... Cary down there....man that place is already thriving with them lots... I'M TALKING ABOUT DOWNTOWN WITH BROAD AND ARTS DISTRICT..... if one would close cary off down there, they'd need a lot more sights and attractions and things to do and good reasoning to do it, because i know otherwise, it would just create traffic problems down there, and would be a waste of money. Maybe when that train shed gets revitalized and that national slavery museum gets built. Then, my friend, only then.....

If any road downtown would be closed off it should be franklin, it's the least used one east of belvidere, though i don't particularly like the idea of closing off any roads downtown for a "mall"

Old 07-24-2012, 09:13 AM

696 posts, read 1,301,604 times
This thread and the "light rail" thread belongs in the "Fantasy" section of City Data forum. Speaking of which City Data needs to add a "Fantasy" section in their forums. I will be a good netizen and go ahead and send an email to the admins !!

I am also opposed to closing any roads downtown by the way, I voted "no" in the poll for this thread. Interesting idea/conversation though.

Cheers!

Old 07-24-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyusa View Post
This thread and the "light rail" thread belongs in the "Fantasy" section of City Data forum. Speaking of which City Data needs to add a "Fantasy" section in their forums. I will be a good netizen and go ahead and send an email to the admins !!

I am also opposed to closing any roads downtown by the way, I voted "no" in the poll for this thread. Interesting idea/conversation though.

Cheers!
Haha yes! It is a pretty big fantasy isn't it? Believe it or not people actually live and work down here and drive on these roads everyday!

I do agree a fantasy section would be pretty cool though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond