Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should cary be closed off?
yes 8 33.33%
no 16 66.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 11:18 AM

1,264 posts, read 1,552,348 times

Advertisements

I was thinking the other day, about how cool the downtown mall was in Charlottesville, I've always thought , why couldn't Richmond have something like this. If only the city could just close off a few blocks of carry (from 12th to 15th still allowing traffic through 14th) And sold any parking lots on that strip to private developers for building mixed use loft/ storefronts. I know that the city tried 6th street market place (and miserably failed), but this is different. First, the surrounding area is already a well working business and loft district with many shops and restaurants located on this stretch of Cary street. Second, it wouldn't cost millions of dollars to put in no car posts around Cary street. Third, the area around the slip is very close to all of downtown's attractions (ie The slip itself, canal walk, Shockoe bottom, slave trail, browns island, church hill, the state capital, and right off of I95, where outsiders could also just hop right off the interstate. Last, the marketplace opened back in 1985 (long befoe most of the bottom was even gentrified). This would certainly be successful in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 11:32 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
An interesting idea. I think it should be explored by a feasibility study, so I voted yes. I think the parking is still needed, but maybe a garage, rather than lots.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:42 PM

121 posts, read 270,795 times
How might it impact traffic flow? Are there enough bypasses to that area to prevent congestion?

Old 07-08-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
An interesting idea. I think it should be explored by a feasibility study, so I voted yes. I think the parking is still needed, but maybe a garage, rather than lots.
I also saw that they had opened a much newer parking deck 1 block away, from the old one that could be demolished, plus, there is much parking under 95, room for a light rail on Cary and canal, plus more parking decks.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkang View Post
How might it impact traffic flow? Are there enough bypasses to that area to prevent congestion?
Main street (right next door) is two way.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:56 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,316,533 times
What's wrong with the Slip in its current configuration? Since it's already doing well, would removing street traffic and free 2 hour onstreet parking be detrimental? One of the benefits to the Charlottesville mall is the abundant outdoor dining... this would be nearly impossible given the significant grade of Cary Street between 12th and 14th as it 'slips' into the Bottom.

Regarding developing surface lots - most are already privately held. The most prominent, at the northwest corner of Cary and 14th, is slated to become 2 Marriot brand hotels (Courtyard and Residence Inn). Anticipated completion - Spring 2014. The First Freedom Center will have a monument (at the corner) and exhibit space.

Rendering from Richmond Biz Sense

I don't think your idea is a bad one... maybe just the location needs to be adjusted. What about 17th Street in the Bottom between Main and Broad OR Grace Street between 2nd Street and the State Capitol grounds on 9th Street?

17th Street
Existing restaurants and street level activity. Lacking shopping, easy parking, and farmer's market is severely under/mis-used. Revamp the farmer's market creating an expanded outdoor/indoor venue that is more functional and adaptable. Create green park space linking the existing market w/ Broad Street. Quality infill on the western side of 17th Street with new structured parking tucked behind new mixed use buildings. Walking distance to several hotels, thousands of residential units, Main Street Station, State Capitol, and downtown workers, among other tourism amenities. Keep Franklin Street and Grace Street open to vehicular traffic for accessing parking deck(s) and maintaining the grid.

Grace Street (my favorite choice)
Anchored by several attractions including the State Capitol as the eastern anchor, Federal Courthouse, Carpenter Theatre/CenterStage, The National (1 block away), Coliseum (2 1/2 blocks away) renovated Miller & Rhoads (140 residential units + Hilton Garden Inn), fully leased 242 luxury unit John Marshall Residences, Convention Center (1 block away), Downtown Marriot (1 block away) Times Dispatch HQ and a renovated Central National Bank Tower (western anchor). Existing pedestrian scale buildings would create a wonderful collection of shops and dining w/ al fresco dining (joining Pasture and 525 and the BerryBurk). Keep cross streets open to maintain the grid and emergency access. Develop structured parking on one of the surface lots along 6th Street and incorporate street level retail space.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:14 AM

24 posts, read 80,072 times
Default No it doesn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
Main street (right next door) is two way.
Umm... Main (Ellwood) goes one-way westbound, while Cary goes one-way eastbound

Old 07-09-2012, 10:46 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,316,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny500 View Post
Umm... Main (Ellwood) goes one-way westbound, while Cary goes one-way eastbound
Main is two-way starting at 12th Street and heading east.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:20 PM

24 posts, read 80,072 times
Ah, the key word there was "downtown" mall. I was thinking Carytown. Duly noted

Old 07-09-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
Main is two-way starting at 12th Street and heading east.
Does that section of main get very crowded often?

Also I understand about your idea of moving it, but I think that It would be a better Idea for the slip. Richmond revitalization projects tend to be spread all over every end of downtown, and I thought that taking part of the slip would be a great way to combine it with the canal walk, plus, It would probably be a more successful venture if we concentrated in the area of the river (including the bottom) and built up the center of downtown.

Maybe it would be a good Idea to just do the Infill part on Cary, and close off 17th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond