Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2013, 08:33 AM

45 posts, read 76,211 times

Advertisements

I would love to hear some comparisons between Powhatan County and Hanover County in terms of

Schools - which one is better?
possibility of living 15-20 minutes from shopping
traffic and road conditions
crime and safety
taxes
homes with large lots (5 or more acres) in subdivisions of the same 400K+ range

Thank you so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 05:02 PM

383 posts, read 1,016,847 times
Based on your criteria.......Hanover suits your needs best, it seems.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:10 PM

I was leaning toward Powhatan from what I read about it online. I hadn't looked that much into Hanover County, but I'd love to hear why my criteria fits. Thank you so much!

Old 06-03-2013, 07:09 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everyday View Post
... Powhatan County...

Schools - which one is better?
possibility of living 15-20 minutes from shopping
traffic and road conditions
crime and safety
taxes
homes with large lots (5 or more acres) in subdivisions of the same 400K+ range

Thank you so much!!
As per your other thread a private school is (can't tell anything about it):
http://blessedsacramenthuguenot.org/

Traffic: None
Road conditions: Nearly perfect. Rare to find potholes.
Crime: None to really speak of (minor spikes, murder rate about once every five years, home invasion maybe once in ten years, house break-ins have been concentrated to the south of 60 near the Chesterfield line and the McMansions).
Taxes: In your price range $3k-$4k(ish)
Homes: Most are built on A-1 (zoned agricultural) properties. Powhatan has very few neighborhood subdivisions (numerous were built with roads put in, but nearly no homes) The county is suburban and very little rural is seen. But does have a country feel.
Shopping: Depends on what. Normal food shops are within 10 minutes. High end shopping (Nordstroms) is about 30 minutes.
Sweet spot: East of 522, West of 288, South of 711, North of 60.

Side note: County has a Walmart, but the parking lot is always nearly empty at all times.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:59 PM

396 posts, read 421,519 times
Funny I've lived in both counties and I like living in Powhatan much better.

Right off the bat when we were looking at homes two years ago, Powhatan was cheaper. Property taxes were cheaper. Homes were newer. I lived in western Hanover which is much more rural than eastern. Eastern hanover felt too crowded for me personally. I wanted country. Well where I lived in Western Hanover, it took me 30 minutes to get to decent shopping which is short pump. We had a Food Lion shopping center down the road which the locals fought over it being built for YEARS. Before that I had to drive 30 mins to Ashland to get groceries. The locals were afraid the Food Lion was going to turn the town in to the next Short Pump. LOL. 6 years later, the town hasn't changed much. So much for that.

Anyway, I live in Powhtan now. Got my acreage and my horses. Lots of house and land for my money. I'm 15 minutes from Westchester commons and 20 minutes from the heart of Midlothian. Yet Short Pump is still only 30 mins if I want to go up there. There are lots of transplants and growth to our area without it growing too fast and being overgrown. Which is what I like personally....slow and steady change. Not too much growth, but I don't want to live in a stagnant area either.

Nothing against Hanover mind you. If I could have found a house in my price range in Rockville I would have snagged it. Rockville is still my favorite town. Couldn't find anything in our range without getting too far out, so we bought in Powhatan. I couldn't be happier here. If I ever leave this area, it will be to leave the east coast entirely and move out west.

Good luck in your decision. I think you'll be fine either way honestly.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:09 PM

Thanks for all the info

I had another question, if someone could help.. is there a prison or something that "bump" at the top of the county (if you are looking at the map) along the James River on 522?

Old 06-09-2013, 02:31 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everyday View Post

I had another question, if someone could help.. is there a prison or something that "bump" at the top of the county (if you are looking at the map) along the James River on 522?
Yes. Two. Neither can be seen from the road. No escapes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond