U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 04:19 PM

32 posts, read 100,788 times

Advertisements

Hello all. We are considering the Glen Allen or Short Pump area for a relocation from Philadelphia suburbs. We lived in Richmond many years ago while attending MCV and have some extended family/friends in the area. We lived mostly in the Fan during that time. From what I have read, the public school system is particularly highly rated in these portions of Henrico County. We currently have elementary age school children, so this would be very important to us throughout the various stages of education, as we don't intend on moving again until they are in college. It also seems to be regarded as a safe area (and certainly has plenty of shopping and things to do in the surrounding areas). So, wondering if anyone who lives(ed) there with children could provide their honest input. Many thanks.

1. How welcoming is this area in reference to "outsiders" that have relocated from the North or other non-Richmond areas?

2. Do you truly feel that this is a safe area? Have you ever felt like crime from Richmond proper has been drifting out into the suburbs? This is certainly how we feel now in the Philly suburbs and would like to get far away from it.

3. This isn't going to sound very nice, but I am going to throw it out there anyway. Do the people seem pretentious or snobby? Sorry, it is a concern of mine due the statistics that I have read for some of the neighborhoods that we are considering (Wyndham, etc).

Thanks again for any/all input. It is very much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 04:30 PM

475 posts, read 619,615 times
I'm originally from New York but reside in Virginia today. I live in Orange Virginia outside of Charlottesville and go to school in Richmond and I don't find it to be unfriendly. I do alot of things in Richmond actually, I like the city, Glen Allen, Short Pump, Mechanicsville I tend to like. Short Pump Town Center is like a shopping mecca, plus you have Louis Ginter Gardens and the museum district, all kinds of stuff to do. I would live in Richmond before I ever lived in Philidelphia, that's a nasty city and parking seems horrible. As far as people being snooty I say the heck with them, they don't want to take the time to get to know someone I wouldn't let that stop me from being happy in a certain place. I made a few friends here in Virginia and I'm an outsider, it just takes time I suppose.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:11 AM

36 posts, read 41,749 times
So you're saying that Philly's downtown is becoming safer than it's suburbs?

Just kidding.

Richmond is a very laid-back area and town with that classic small-town feel, although it is home to over 1.3 million people.
When I moved here from Bad News back in 2009, people were very welcoming and helpful to help me discover the area more, and now I'm attached to the area, hence my username

No matter where you're from....no, wait, scratch that, since your from Philly, a Northern town, you still won't feel too many bad "Southern" vibes here, and because Richmond is slowly evolving into a Northern town (I will get bashed for that comment), you will find that people are starting to develop that attitude, although the city will forever be engraved with it's Southern roots. Still, you shouldn't find that much of a problem, especially in a suburb like Glen Allen, or Midlothian.

However, your worries just may be correct. Suburbanites like myself always may seem to have that rich, snobby attitude, especially in a high-income subdivision like Wyndham, however, people like these rarely come around anymore, and even if they do, like Steven said, you can simply choose to ignore them.

I hope you have a wonderful transition into the Richmond region, and I'm sure you will enjoy all it has to offer.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:04 PM

3,977 posts, read 6,500,558 times
1. How welcoming is this area in reference to "outsiders" that have relocated from the North or other non-Richmond areas?

*** I'm from Long Island, immediate neighbors are from Queens NY, Philly, Pittsburgh, Bayshore NY, Baltimore, India, and other places. So it's really welcoming.

2. Do you truly feel that this is a safe area? Have you ever felt like crime from Richmond proper has been drifting out into the suburbs? This is certainly how we feel now in the Philly suburbs and would like to get far away from it.

** Perfectly safe.

3. This isn't going to sound very nice, but I am going to throw it out there anyway. Do the people seem pretentious or snobby? Sorry, it is a concern of mine due the statistics that I have read for some of the neighborhoods that we are considering (Wyndham, etc).

** It's a bit of a problem but not as bad as some would have you believe. I live outside of Wyndham and have met folks there who are snooty and others who are down to earth. But you can mostly avoid that by just picking a neighborhood in the area but not in Wyndham if it's a concern.

We love it here on Nuckols Road. Close enough to the mall and shopping, close to work and close enough to the interstates.
The schools are excellent.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:43 PM

774 posts, read 1,178,984 times
Glen Allen & Short Pump are pretty generic suburbs. The notion that someone from either area would dare to be 'snooty' is frankly comical. But it's probably possible to find snooty people in the 'hood' if you look hard enough. Clark Street Kid is right that both areas are perfectly safe.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:13 PM

Thank you all for responding. I am feeling very good about Richmond's West End and it's safety from what I am reading as well as from your posts. My #3 question about snootiness really wasn't out of concern for myself, but moreso for our children. I know relocating is going to be hard enough, so wanted to see if that should be a concern (you know the old "apple doesn't fall far from the tree" expression). I am sure that anything would be a huge improvement over what we are dealing with in our current environment. Also, I know I can't control everything no matter how hard I try Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

Also, Richmond was just ranked #13 (out of top #100) in Parenting.com's 2012 Best Cities for Families List. They used a lot of the same type of criteria/methodology to rank cities (safety, schools, economy, etc) that we are trying to use to choose a new home. It is nice to see Richmond nearly made the top 10 (and that some group has already done a lot of the hard work/research for us). GO Richmond!

Thanks again to all who took the time to post!

Old 07-25-2012, 01:05 PM

1,295 posts, read 3,887,669 times
lol that list included schools too? The economy is based on the banks downtown so.. yeah I won't even get into safety.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:38 PM

Yes, the analysis looked at the number of Nationally Ranked Blue Ribbon schools per capita. Henrico County schools are ranked as some of the best in the Nation, and also according to VA state rankings, Henrico County Public Schools are listed in the top 10 in the state (Elementary through High School). This would be the area we would consider moving into(not Richmond proper). I am sure that there are others who can comment better on the economy and crime per capita, but it does appear that Richmond has been consistently improving since the early 2000's.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:43 PM

1,295 posts, read 3,887,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyB123 View Post
Yes, the analysis looked at the number of Nationally Ranked Blue Ribbon schools per capita. Henrico County schools are ranked as some of the best in the Nation, and also according to VA state rankings, Henrico County Public Schools are listed in the top 10 in the state (Elementary through High School). This would be the area we would consider moving into(not Richmond proper). I am sure that there are others who can comment better on the economy and crime per capita, but it does appear that Richmond has been consistently improving since the early 2000's.
oh ok Henrico, yes they are good. You scared me for a minute there.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:30 PM

3,977 posts, read 6,500,558 times
But let's be clear, most Western Henrico schools are excellent, Eastern Henrico schools are horrible and would likely lose their accreditation except for the magnet school programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond