U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-26-2012, 08:30 AM

2,689 posts, read 2,223,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders15 View Post
I thought of this thread when I saw this story today.
nbc12
Stumbled on it and thought of this thread, or read this thread and went looking for it to post? Sorry, it's just that it's old news and I had to ask :-)
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 08:41 AM

Richmond city has been seeing growth over the past 12 years and still going. It's not large growth, but there are many projects in downtown right now that are creating residential growth. Most of the region's growth is in the counties, but the city is becoming more alive every year.

Also, some folks on this thread are stating that GRTC needs to run an efficient service within the city limits first, and I would state that they do pretty well considering their very limited funding. In a city that promotes driving, 10.4 million trips in 2010 isn't so bad. Again, BRT is being proposed to connect more people to the service, while increasing route efficiency for the routes that already exist. No one is expecting Richmond to become a huge city, or one where most residents use public transportation. It's simply in the region's best interests to connect those who cannot afford (or choose not) to drive a car; especially since that number will likely climb.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:26 AM

1,717 posts, read 3,899,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Stumbled on it and thought of this thread, or read this thread and went looking for it to post? Sorry, it's just that it's old news and I had to ask :-)
Anders posts are an attempt to only paint Richmond in a negative light.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:49 AM

12,344 posts, read 13,663,481 times
The City of Richmond drew up these plans a few years ago to deal with the increased housing needs...
Richmond Downtown Master Plan, Dover, Kohl & Partners

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Old 07-26-2012, 11:12 AM

3,563 posts, read 4,476,126 times
I like how they're thinking, but implementing this plan will be the hard part. The city of Richmond has a lot of potential but not much in the way of will or money.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:34 PM

1,285 posts, read 716,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
And that's the problem with using downtown Richmond as a hub, there's nothing there to make it a destination. The succesful areas in Richmond like the Fan, Carytown, VCU and Bottom weren't developed by the City Council, but by merchants and investors who saw value in the area. So far few visionaries have seen value in downtown.

Once again, if the Richmond City Coucil and GRTC can't come up with an efficient transit system within the city limits why would anyone in Chesterfield and Western Henrico want to invest in their scheme to make GRTC bigger?
I think this whole time we've been arguing past each other because of some confusion. I don't just consider the financial and government district downtown. I consider everything you mentioned to be downtown. I do want to see the business district become much more than banks but that isn't going to happen until the city does more to make that area a place that people want to live in. Young professionals who live over in the condos over in Rockets Landing do work in that district and something such as a BRT would be really convenient for them to use to get to work without a car. There a are a couple more apartment buildings being retrofitted into some old buildings downtown that would help bring more of those people into Richmond.

And I agree that you can't exactly plan out a place for people to do and force a culture onto a city. A lot of sunbelt cities do try to do that and they don't really work because they're so sprawled out and people are drawn to them because houses in the burbs are cheap. Richmond has the advantange compared to some older cities in that it didn't completely decimate it's downtown and historic buildings for highways and cars and it's underrated and relatively cheap to live. As long as the city continues to give incentives for people to want to live downtown, promote development, and attract more high paying businesses then I think it'll have a bright future.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:12 PM

3,563 posts, read 4,476,126 times
I mostly agree, but one of the things Richmond has going for it is that each section has it's own separate flavor. I really wouldn't mind having what's considered downtown to have yet another flavor even if it's a business district, though one that's worth staying around after work and visiting on weekends.
To me it would be great to park by Carytown and then take a fast bus to Millie's for lunch, then visit The Museum of the Confederacy and on the way back stop by VCU to pick up some Rams swag. Richmond needs to cut some of it's ties to the counties and become a city in it's own right.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:52 PM

1,285 posts, read 716,623 times
I agree. I'm fairly new to Richmond so I am wondering: did Richmond have a policy of annexation in the past?I don't think of the fringes of Richmond as being part of Richmond, but they are and they all have their own local governments which makes it hard to have any consistent policy. I agree that Richmond needs to cut it's ties to the countes, but it seems bound by them. NYC( and I'm sure other cities did this as well) annexed the regions which are now it's outer boroughs which helped eliminate road blocks. In other countries around the world especially in Europe, there aren't really multiple local governments within a city which is part of the reason why they've been able to maintain their inner cities.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
I think this whole time we've been arguing past each other because of some confusion. I don't just consider the financial and government district downtown. I consider everything you mentioned to be downtown. I do want to see the business district become much more than banks but that isn't going to happen until the city does more to make that area a place that people want to live in. Young professionals who live over in the condos over in Rockets Landing do work in that district and something such as a BRT would be really convenient for them to use to get to work without a car. There a are a couple more apartment buildings being retrofitted into some old buildings downtown that would help bring more of those people into Richmond.
The Fan, Museum District, etc aren't downtown. Downtown is usually considered to be between Belvidere on the west and I-95 on the east (or maybe even 17th/18th), and the James River on the south to I-95/I-64 on the north. Anything outside of that is an urban neighborhood, uptown, etc.

Also, there are many projects that are going on downtown that are increasing the residential population. These projects are working to connect the residential population in the Bottom to the Jackson Ward and VCU areas.

See these links:

Downtown Residential Developments

Two hotels to be part of First Freedom Center in Shockoe Slip | Richmond Times-Dispatch

Old 07-26-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
I agree. I'm fairly new to Richmond so I am wondering: did Richmond have a policy of annexation in the past?I don't think of the fringes of Richmond as being part of Richmond, but they are and they all have their own local governments which makes it hard to have any consistent policy. I agree that Richmond needs to cut it's ties to the countes, but it seems bound by them. NYC( and I'm sure other cities did this as well) annexed the regions which are now it's outer boroughs which helped eliminate road blocks. In other countries around the world especially in Europe, there aren't really multiple local governments within a city which is part of the reason why they've been able to maintain their inner cities.
Almost every city has annexed land at some point, even though many older cities can no longer do so. Richmond was about 5 sq miles at the beginning of the 20th century, so it ended up annexing the former city of Manchester, Barton Heights, etc. Most of that infos on Wikipedia.

I don't agree that Richmond needs to cut ties with the counties. If anything, the region will need to start to work together, or it will suffer as a whole. I suspect it will suffer before it proactively works together. Between inevitable struggles with transportation, energy and other services, the metro will need to become a region at some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond