Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 06:56 PM

774 posts, read 1,693,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgnmx View Post
Ranked #4 Top (undergrad) University in Virginia Top Colleges & Universities in Virginia | University Web Rankings Ranked #5 on this list Top Virginia Colleges and Universities
And is ranked #170 (undergrad) nationally, National University | Rankings | Data | US News
I don't take issue with the general cast of your remarks but the first two links you provide are laughable at best. Essentially spam! "DiplomaGuide" prominently features DeVry, Everest and the Univ. of Phoenix (online diploma mills) and completely fails to mention Washington and Lee, which actually happens to have the highest student-quality stats of any college in the state*; the other ("4icu.org") ranks George Mason and VCU above William & Mary and Norfolk State and Liberty above Washington and Lee.

Neither of these sources is taken remotely seriously anywhere--see College Confidential for more.

USNews gets a lot of flack as its rankings are controversial (to those who place poorly in them) but at least its methods are rational, organized and verifiable.

---------------------------------------

* Sample statistics:

University of Virginia Profile - SAT Scores and Admissions Data for UVA, The University of Virginia

Washington and Lee University Profile - SAT Scores and Admissions Data for Washington and Lee University
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 08:58 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,348,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgnmx View Post
/Top_Virginia_Colleges_and_Universities.html
And is ranked #170 (undergrad) nationally, National University | Rankings | Data | US News

So yes, above average.

170. Out of 194 total ranks possible for universities. You fail statistics, forever. Or perhaps you studied them at VCU.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:09 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
170. Out of 194 total ranks possible for universities. You fail statistics, forever. Or perhaps you studied them at VCU.
there are way more than 194 universities, though. the ones that are really bad are just not ranked at all

Old 07-28-2012, 06:05 PM

That is correct. As so often happens on these here internets, the person yelling "FAIL" is actually the person failing. There are over 2,000 colleges & universities in the USA, and to rank #170 actually places VCU in the top 10%. Mind you, only the top 40 or so are actually selective, and there are a number of fine liberal-arts colleges in their own category, etc etc. But the vast majority of institutions aren't even ranked, and for good reason.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
That is correct. As so often happens on these here internets, the person yelling "FAIL" is actually the person failing. There are over 2,000 colleges & universities in the USA, and to rank #170 actually places VCU in the top 10%. Mind you, only the top 40 or so are actually selective, and there are a number of fine liberal-arts colleges in their own category, etc etc. But the vast majority of institutions aren't even ranked, and for good reason.
If in your universe, VCU is a top 10% institution, that is an interesting universe.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:13 PM

Don't be silly. It's not my universe, it's this one. There are over 2,000 colleges and universities in it.

I certainly don't think VCU is a top-notch college and I have never said so--quite the contrary.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:01 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,316,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
If in your universe, VCU is a top 10% institution, that is an interesting universe.
Why so insulting about it ?

Old 07-28-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
Why so insulting about it ?
I prefer "realistic".

VCU is a fairly decent state institution. It has an absolutely top-notch art program, a solid business program, and a pretty good engineering program. It is NOT, however, top 10% in OVERALL institutional quality, nor is it #170 out of however many hundreds (or thousands) are on that US News list, despite what someone asserted earlier; It just happened to get assigned a ranking.

I am thinking of things like faculty quality, overall facilities, quality of program, placement rate, endowment, etc. Top professors do not (metaphorically) slit each other's throats to get a tenure-track job at VCU. Compare and contrast UCLA or UW or UNC Chapel Hill.

Some PROGRAMS at VCU are probably top 100, or 50, or 5. Overall, I personally estimate VCU is third-tier in Virginia: for public programs, UVA/W&M are essentially top, JMU-level is about second and, ODU and VCU are third-tier, and then there are places like VSU and Longwood. They all have good programs. They are all not, as a complete institution, created equal. That's just the way the cookie crumbles.

I would not have had a PRAYER of getting into UVA/W&M/JMU. I am a third-tier kind of guy. If I had gone undergraduate in Virginia, VCU would almost certainly have been right up my alley.

Does that clear it up for you?

Old 07-28-2012, 10:42 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,943,863 times
If you guys want to discuss rankings then College Confidential is that way ------------->

Old 07-29-2012, 08:12 AM

326 posts, read 689,286 times
The first Virginia rankings was best international schools, the second one listed was best public Virginia schools.
If you look at the national ranking website VCU tied 170 with about 6 other schools.
So it's not my fault if you can't read, Georgiatransplant (can't think of any good schools in georgia btw)

Virginia has some of the best schools in the country so even if you don't consider VCU to be that great compared to William and Mary, Virginia Tech, UVA, or UofR, well its still a damn good school when considered nationally. Also, despite anything you say has some of the best graduate programs in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond