Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 07:07 AM

108 posts, read 475,127 times

Advertisements

We're moving from GA in the next year, and I want to see if anyone can recommend a great neighborhood. Is there a sweet spot in the city of Richmond that is a quality spot, near a school, park, etc.?
Colonial Heights keeps popping up on our radar - what kind of town is it?
On the other hand, are there areas to definitely avoid?

We keep seeing cute Cape Cods and Craftsman-style houses built in 1920-40. Does anyone know how expensive these houses are to upkeep and repair?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2006, 07:47 AM

291 posts, read 1,360,486 times
Default I have heard that Col. Heights is nice...

And that Deer Park which is next to that is also nice, but like here, I am trying to find more info out myself! I do know that Midlothian County has been voted in the top ten places to live this year!

Old 09-27-2006, 07:50 AM

291 posts, read 1,360,486 times
On buying an older home, know that it will come with repairs (many) unless of course its been in kept up condition. DO not trust the real estates agents inspection! Do your own, even if you have to pay for it! Get someone who is not in any kind of relationship with an agent. If not sure, have two of them, its worth the extra cost as to what you find out later, can scare you!

Old 09-27-2006, 08:17 AM

6 posts, read 13,962 times
That is great advise!!!!!!

Old 09-28-2006, 10:19 AM

72 posts, read 297,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marymel View Post
We're moving from GA in the next year, and I want to see if anyone can recommend a great neighborhood. Is there a sweet spot in the city of Richmond that is a quality spot, near a school, park, etc.?

We keep seeing cute Cape Cods and Craftsman-style houses built in 1920-40. Does anyone know how expensive these houses are to upkeep and repair?
Thanks!
Colonial Heights is the town I live near. There are some great old houses there in various stages -some maintained or not... That area of Colonial Heights is more of a working class area, so there are not as many people who appreciate the older houses and keep them up.

There are a few nice nature spots, one I love is a long, long path that runs along the Appomattox River, but that is a little further south into Petersburg... But many schools, good shopping in Colonial Heights.

In Richmond the area with really cute, very well maintained older houses in a more suburban setting is Bellevue. I love it there, used to live there. Ginter Park is also beautiful neighborhood. Houses in these areas though are def. more expensive than Chesterfield, Colonials Heights. A very nice park nearby Bellevue is Bryan Park.

I am an old house lover, sometimes I really wish I was NOT! If you get an older house that has been renovated with new heating/central air that's good, but windows can be drafty, roofs, possibly siding need replacing, water pressure can be awful, not as many elec. outlets and closet space can be scant too... But they have tons of charm and to me feel better to exist in. High ceilings, large windows and trim, porches are nice and big... but YES they are a lotta work and you have to really be handy.

Old 10-08-2006, 01:36 PM

9 posts, read 56,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marymel View Post

Thanks!

Hello. I lived in Colonial Heights before moving to Prince George (about 15 minutes away from Col. Hts.). Colonial Heights is nice, but a bit crowded. I liked a bit more space. I have been in PG for 10 years and love it..close enough to shopping, etc (about 10 - 20 minutes top) and 30 minutes from Richmond. [moderator cut]
Sharon P.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-08-2006 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: No advertising here. Place a free business profile at http://www.city-data.com/profiles/add Thanks!

Old 02-15-2008, 11:02 PM

4 posts, read 15,304 times
Quote:
I have been in PG for 10 years and love it..close enough to shopping, etc
where is a good place close enough to shopping? we were looking for 8-10 acres on the water. not too low ground though. what we have seen so far makes eastern henrico look like a dump. any gated communities in Prince George that still are wooded or rural?

thanks in advance.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:19 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,007 times
Thumbs down dump?

I grew up in Eastern Henrico (Varina area).. and it is not a dump.. in fact the area is up and comming. When I was a little kid I remember just having one stop light that number has grown and currently major development is underway in the area. There are parts of the east end worth avoiding but there are also parts that are very very nice.. far from a "dump". I take that comment to heart and it saddens me that someone is calling the area I grew up in such a word. I think you might have just visited the wrong places in the east end!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGardner View Post
where is a good place close enough to shopping? we were looking for 8-10 acres on the water. not too low ground though. what we have seen so far makes eastern henrico look like a dump. any gated communities in Prince George that still are wooded or rural?

thanks in advance.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:58 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
I grew up in Eastern Henrico (Varina area).. and it is not a dump.. in fact the area is up and comming. When I was a little kid I remember just having one stop light that number has grown and currently major development is underway in the area. There are parts of the east end worth avoiding but there are also parts that are very very nice.. far from a "dump". I take that comment to heart and it saddens me that someone is calling the area I grew up in such a word. I think you might have just visited the wrong places in the east end!
Don't be upset, Mary as with me are coming in (me coming back) from Georgia. Myself making a comparison to Atlanta, it does not matter where you are looking it is a step up as far as I'm concerned.
Of course you can also go to areas west of the city and find some fixer uppers to, in Louisa and Goochland.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:22 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,007 times
Smile Varina not a dump

Lgardner made the comment that I was referring to. Mary was not the one who made that comment. I dont think anyone should classify Eastern Henrico as a "dump". I guess you dont understand because you havent lived in Richmond.. The west end gets all the credit these days and its kind of sad. Eastern Henrico has a lot of potential... and personally I'd live there anyday compared to the west end.. It is not a dump... check it out for yourself.. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Don't be upset, Mary as with me are coming in (me coming back) from Georgia. Myself making a comparison to Atlanta, it does not matter where you are looking it is a step up as far as I'm concerned.
Of course you can also go to areas west of the city and find some fixer uppers to, in Louisa and Goochland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond