Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 12:45 PM

9 posts, read 53,957 times

Advertisements

My fiancée and I are currently discussing relocating to the Richmond area when we are ready to start our family. I did some research, but I wanted some opinions to help narrow our focus. Please consider the following requirements before making a recommendation:

· We can afford up to $600,000, but I’d like to stay around $250,000 to $300,000 if possible for 3+ bedrooms, 2+ bathrooms, basement, and upper floor.
· A relatively crime free area and nice school district are a necessity.
· We want to stay within the suburbs, but within a short distance (15 – 20 minutes) from a nice shopping and restaurant area.
· A dog friendly or at least a park to walk a dog would be optimal.
· Yankee friendly (not sure if this even an issue)

Thanks for all help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 01:42 PM

306 posts, read 689,869 times
What did you see in your research that you liked or intrigued you then maybe we can give you insight on the area?

Old 10-03-2012, 02:38 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Not alot of basements are built.

You'll find more expensive homes with basements. But you'll need to up your budget to around the $450,000 or so range. But that will get you a very nice newer or new home, in a lovely,safe neighborhood with amenities and a backyard kids can play in... and dogs too!

Midlothian is ideal for young families. Great school districts.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:45 AM

9 posts, read 53,957 times
To echo the above poster, my research seemed to suggest that Midlothian seemed to be a great neighborhood for what I want. But how does it compare contrast from Henrico, Glen Allen or Mechanicsville?

Old 10-04-2012, 02:51 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaz102 View Post
To echo the above poster, my research seemed to suggest that Midlothian seemed to be a great neighborhood for what I want. But how does it compare contrast from Henrico, Glen Allen or Mechanicsville?
Henrico.......cheaper homes are older stock....meh...........or....in the Eastern part of the county.. not so great.

Glen Allen....it's nice, but for some reason just hasn't hit my hot buttons.

Mechanicsville? I don't consider that part of the Richmond metro area.

All in all, it would depend upon where you are working and how much of a commute you want, and what the RE market and interest rates are doing at the time you are ready to relocate and buy.

But Midlothian would be my first choice.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:19 PM

I live in Midlothian, can't give you a bad thing about it really.

West End Henrico is a more expensive Midlothian, to be honest with more traffic congestion. East End Henrico is relatively high in crime and more lower income neighborhoods.

Mechanicsville I can't give you much insight on but I doubt is like Midlothian.

Midlothian gives you homes in 2006+ (for the range you speak of), maybe some with basements, lot of close by ponds and walking trails, EXCELLENT nationally recognized schools from Elementary on up, rated one of the top places to live just recently. Chesterfield County rated a Top 100 counties to live in and is ideally located. Crime almost doesn't exist in Midlothian, the commute to the city is 15-20 minutes, there are some 4 or so malls within 20-25 minutes tops, every restaurant you can imagine, really nice people and anything else you want.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:10 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliBoy20 View Post
I live in Midlothian, can't give you a bad thing about it really.

West End Henrico is a more expensive Midlothian, to be honest with more traffic congestion. East End Henrico is relatively high in crime and more lower income neighborhoods.

Mechanicsville I can't give you much insight on but I doubt is like Midlothian.

Midlothian gives you homes in 2006+ (for the range you speak of), maybe some with basements, lot of close by ponds and walking trails, EXCELLENT nationally recognized schools from Elementary on up, rated one of the top places to live just recently. Chesterfield County rated a Top 100 counties to live in and is ideally located. Crime almost doesn't exist in Midlothian, the commute to the city is 15-20 minutes, there are some 4 or so malls within 20-25 minutes tops, every restaurant you can imagine, really nice people and anything else you want.
i grew up in mechanicsville (atlee area) and i work in midlothian now. honestly the two are very similar. i'm not sure why the other poster wouldn't consider mechanicsville a part of the "richmond metro" area. it is also a 15-20 minute drive from downtown.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:25 AM

I mean, I know Mechanicsville is similar in terms of commute/distance and stuff like restaurants because Midlothian Tnpk is exactly like Mechanicsville Tnpk in what it has to offer. Just don't know how similar the school districts are and crime (I think crime is low there too pretty sure. Hanover County has a relatively low crime rate to say Eastern Henrico).

Old 10-05-2012, 05:47 PM

383 posts, read 1,016,847 times
I think you will have many many options given your basic criteria......

Old 10-06-2012, 06:24 PM

186 posts, read 470,961 times
Where are you moving from? I ask because you say "Yankee friendly"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond