U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-29-2006, 06:21 AM

4 posts, read 15,757 times
Default relocating to Richmond

Hello everyone!

Need some information on Richmond area. My husband will be working in Petersburg. We are looking for a family oriented community that has great schools especially high schools as well as low crime. My research has led me to believe that Chesterfield County has great schools, Midlothian High School especially (based on ACT/SAT scores). Also, I am Asian American and am looking for a community that my family and I will be accepted. We are not Christian so I don't want to live in a community where everyone is going to ask me to go to their church. We are just a normal family looking for a nice area to raise our kids!!

thanks for your help!

333girl
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2006, 02:45 PM

904 posts, read 1,281,966 times
Quote:
Chesterfield County
Good pick.
Nothing else to say, but the forum thang said my message was too short.
Best of luck with your move.

Old 09-30-2006, 06:45 AM

4 posts, read 15,757 times
Hello Electron,

thanks for the input. do you live there currently? Do you know how far of a commute it will take my husband to get to Petersburg from Midlothian?

thanks again

333girl

Old 10-01-2006, 04:41 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,623,705 times
chesterfielf,chester, or even colonial heights are nice,
i live in east henrico which is rural and growing fast,but with I-295 i can be in petersburg in 25 minutes

Old 10-02-2006, 04:23 AM

904 posts, read 1,281,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 333girl View Post
Hello Electron,

thanks for the input. do you live there currently? Do you know how far of a commute it will take my husband to get to Petersburg from Midlothian?

thanks again

333girl

No ma'am, I live north of town. If my work had taken me southside though, I'd have pitched my camp in Chesterfield County. As far as the commute is concerned, I am of no assistance. I don't anticipate much hassle, though.

Old 10-02-2006, 06:54 AM

72 posts, read 207,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 333girl View Post
Hello Electron,

thanks again

333girl
I have driven from Petersburg to Midlothian for 3 years. It takes me 30 mins. I take I-95 to Route 288 to Hull St. It may take him longer or not depending on where in Midlo you live. Brandermill, Woodlake are good areas with good schools and in Midlothian. Sometimes Hull St is backed up at key times of the day.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:02 AM

12 posts, read 34,027 times
Chesterfield And Colonial Heights Are Not That Nice....in A Few Areas Perhaps....petersburg Is Not Nice At All....chesterfield Schools Are Over
Crowded....but The Area Is Better Than Colonial Heights!

Old 10-02-2006, 08:34 AM

72 posts, read 207,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meplus3 View Post
Chesterfield And Colonial Heights Are Not That Nice....in A Few Areas Perhaps....petersburg Is Not Nice At All....chesterfield Schools Are Over
Crowded....but The Area Is Better Than Colonial Heights!
Hey,
I live in Petersburg and actually moved from Richmond. There are some beautiful old neighborhoods in Petersburg. True it still scares people away... It did me. But if you are looking to pay less for a nice old house and a great neighborhood with tree lined sidewalks (Walnut Hill) you can forgive some of the not so great features.
We have 2 kids who go to private schools (Christian)- small class sizes, close knit community, they get a better education than the best public schools cannot offer. The downtown (Oldtown) area is being revitalized, artists moving in along with restaurants, antique stores.
The bad element is poverty and lack of education for many residents.
It does have a small town feel that I never felt in Richmond...

Old 10-08-2006, 01:25 PM

9 posts, read 33,808 times
Hello. I live in Prince George which is about 10 minutes from Petersburg. [moderator cut] Prince George has some of the better schools in the area.. Some areas of Prince George are pretty secluded, but you wont be more than 20 minutes from shopping, entertainment, etc. Let me know if you want any other information. I have lived here for 16 years and LOVE IT..came from California.

Sharon

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-08-2006 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: No advertising here. Place a free business profile at http://www.city-data.com/profiles/add

Old 10-10-2006, 08:22 AM

4 posts, read 17,117 times
I am about to relocate to NC, but for the past couple of years we have lived in Hampton Park - mailing address is Chesterfield, but it is located west down 360 - about 1 mile west of Woodlake (if you know where that is). The hood is very friendly and people are from all over. Some are religious, some aren't, but nobody I've met is pushy about it, and most people are very fun-loving and social. It attracts people who are from somewhere else or who have moved often. I just posted a description of the hood in another thread about moving from VA Beach if you want to read more.

The commute to Petersburg might be a bit long, though - about 30 minutes. Not sure if your dh will be up for that. Yes, Hull St can get pretty backed up at key times, but I think it will get better once they finish widening it. I don't know enough about the geography around here to know if there would be an alternate route to Petersburg. The one I know would be Hull St (360) to 288 to 95. Once you get on 288, I think everything should move along pretty nicely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond