Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 08:35 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I have been researching your city and state as a possible place for relocation in the near future. I love the pics, history, culture, geography and the plain old beauty of the state. However, I am a little concerned with the airport.

I am used to living in cities with major airports. Because my job requires me to travel a bit living in a city with a major airport has been a great help. Obviously, the larger the airport the more flight options one has. My question to you all: Is the Richmond airport adequate for someone who travels a lot? Are flights more expensive in and out because it is a smaller airport?

This may not even be an issue, but I'd really like feedback from those of you who live there and rely on the airport for transportation. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 08:41 AM

12 posts, read 22,678 times
Not To Bad, nor Not to good. Probably ranked 5 out of 10

Old 10-20-2012, 10:05 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,316,986 times
It's a clean and modern airport, but it only has direct international flights to Canada. Dulles is 2 hours away. Southwest will be flying from Richmond which should improve access to the west, but for now it's typically a connecting flight in Atlanta, Chicago, or Houston.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:24 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
if you want to fly to philadelphia, atlanta, or boston you're in luck. otherwise not so much

Old 10-20-2012, 01:43 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
You would do better to look online at cost to the areas you frequent out of Richmond.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:43 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,777,563 times
Very low hassle small city airport, with classic pluses and minuses. I like it, but available flights match my current travel patterns

Old 10-21-2012, 08:22 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
Thanks for the responses. I will take the suggestion to price the flights in my current travel pattern from Richmond.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:51 AM

244 posts, read 390,450 times
Sucks having to fly all the way to atlanta to catch a plane to Chicago or detroit.. its wasting minutes of my life . **** flying . Never again.

I remember flying from Ky back to norfolk on a detachment, I got pulled out of line in uniform and searched , then they look at my MILITARY I.D. and she starts mouthing off to me that It doesn't look like me. Meanwhile My chief is standing right there and she won't even listen to him.. I told her ass to either charge me with something or get the **** out of my face, That was the last time I ever stepped foot on an airplane. I hope they all go out of business thanks to the government.
Nothing but cattle cars anyway.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:42 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Rockford View Post
Sucks having to fly all the way to atlanta to catch a plane to Chicago or detroit.. its wasting minutes of my life . **** flying . Never again.

I remember flying from Ky back to norfolk on a detachment, I got pulled out of line in uniform and searched , then they look at my MILITARY I.D. and she starts mouthing off to me that It doesn't look like me. Meanwhile My chief is standing right there and she won't even listen to him.. I told her ass to either charge me with something or get the **** out of my face, That was the last time I ever stepped foot on an airplane. I hope they all go out of business thanks to the government.
Nothing but cattle cars anyway.
I couldn't agree with the above more. Connections make flying twice as bad, and flying all together just sucks, especially with the government's BS "security" or should I say "airport gestapo". Most of the airport gestapo go on power trips when they should really be doing something truly productive.

In any event, if you're flying to airports that are hubs frequently, then you'll get direct flights. Richmond's a spoke, so if you're flying to another spoke, prepare for frequent connections.

Last edited by AJNEOA; 10-24-2012 at 08:14 AM..

Old 10-24-2012, 12:22 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Is the Richmond airport adequate for someone who travels a lot? Are flights more expensive in and out because it is a smaller airport?
RIC is more expensive to fly out of. But what you lose in cost, you gain back in time. Its an extremely easy airport to depart from and the TSA lines rarely take more than 15 minutes. If you are like me and don't check any luggage, on your arrival back you can be in your car within 10-15 minutes. As to travelling, it depends where to. Since Richmonders don't use this airport enough, we've lost many direct flights to major hubs and now and have to fly to larger hubs in order to get to major airports. Since I need to connect to international flights, I end up sitting somewhere for 3+ hours (usually ATL).

Use this link to chart your flights

Airline Seating Charts - Best Airplane Seats - SeatGuru

I used to drive up to Dulles to save some trip time, but now its not worth it since NOVA almost includes Frederickburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: