U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 09:14 PM

2,876 posts, read 6,019,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
And Chinatown is Chinese by yours...but then again I suppose if an immigrant from Beijing showed up in NYC and rarely set foot outside of Chinatown he would likely have a difficult time wrapping his head around the culture just out of arms reach...

And FYI Appalachian culture is a subset of southern culture...is Western North Carolina and Eastern Tennessee Appalachian as opposed to Southern? The two aren't mutually exclusive. Banjos...NASCAR...moonshine...bluegrass music...all relics of the Appalachian mountains yet all associated with the rural areas of the upper south.

God it must suck ass to be wrong so hard.
What he/she doesn't grasp is the diversity that makes up the South. The assertion that a majority of Richmonders are from the North is laughable, so the other option is to "confine" the idea of what constitutes the South. I wonder where the South is, exactly-a county in MS?

I also have family in the Bluefield, VA area in SW VA. No matter what we designate them on City-Data, the vast majority there identify with the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 10:03 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,712,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedtodave View Post
What he/she doesn't grasp is the diversity that makes up the South. The assertion that a majority of Richmonders are from the North is laughable, so the other option is to "confine" the idea of what constitutes the South. I wonder where the South is, exactly-a county in MS?

I also have family in the Bluefield, VA area in SW VA. No matter what we designate them on City-Data, the vast majority there identify with the South.
I agree...I just think that he/she is like most of the other northerners that move south. They only want to see those like them because they only tend to congregate with people from the same area. Believe this or not...my roommate from UVA was from Manassas and he is currently in law school at the Appalachian School of Law in Grundy, VA which is quite possibly the most rural, backwood spot in all of SWVA and he said that the people are just like those in NOVA.........Now for anyone with a ANY cultural knowledge of these areas they would immediately laugh at this.....but the ONLY people he hangs around are law students that are from all over the country.....he has yet to "mingle" with the locals that exist outside the law schools campus so it makes sense that he wouldn't be able to see the real culture of the area.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
I agree...I just think that he/she is like most of the other northerners that move south. They only want to see those like them because they only tend to congregate with people from the same area. Believe this or not...my roommate from UVA was from Manassas and he is currently in law school at the Appalachian School of Law in Grundy, VA which is quite possibly the most rural, backwood spot in all of SWVA and he said that the people are just like those in NOVA.........Now for anyone with a ANY cultural knowledge of these areas they would immediately laugh at this.....but the ONLY people he hangs around are law students that are from all over the country.....he has yet to "mingle" with the locals that exist outside the law schools campus so it makes sense that he wouldn't be able to see the real culture of the area.
That anecdote doesn't surprise me at all, even considering the absurdity. I think another thing to consider, is that to some of these people who grew up with Hollywood's version of the South, anyone who doesn't speak with a thick accent or isn't an avowed racist NASCAR fan must not be Southern. The people in and around Charleston, SC, where I'm from, are quite different culturally than people from the small SC towns. People from other regions sometimes confuse urbanity and a relatively educated population with not being Southern .

Old 04-16-2013, 02:20 PM

777 posts, read 1,032,178 times
Those same people that are embarrassed of the south can be found in NOVA, Maryland and D.C. lol because they were/are southern. And for the record just because a place is considered to be mid atlantic it dose not denounce its southern traits qualities, Ny, Pa, Nj are all considered to be mid atlantic but there still northern at the same time why can't this apply to a southern place.

Last edited by Diff1; 04-16-2013 at 02:34 PM..

Old 04-16-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
Those same people that are embarrassed of the south can be found in NOVA, Maryland and D.C. lol because they were/are southern. And for the record just because a place is considered to be mid atlantic it dose not denounce its southern traits qualities, Ny, Pa, Nj are all considered to be mid atlantic but there still northern at the same time why can't this apply to a southern place.
That's true, the DC area is a mixture, but I do get the sense that many here get embarrassed when those from further North refer to them as Southerners.

But the key difference is NOVA demographically has a much greater portion of people from the North and other countries, so it's not Southern anymore (not to say that its roots have completely disappeared, but that's another topic).

Richmond, on the other hand, has different demographics. We can all agree that Richmond has changed in the past 20 years. But it hasn't changed nearly enough to "leave" the South. This would be like saying NOVA is no longer American, but Korean because of the large amount of Koreans that have moved there (still less than 20% I'm sure).

Old 04-16-2013, 06:48 PM

1,802 posts, read 5,521,123 times
Richmond is both southern and mid-Atlantic. The End.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:28 PM

3,287 posts, read 4,610,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
has nobody else noticed that Richmond has much of the same architecture as DC and Baltimore? The rowhouses, the narrow streets, compact, dense downtown with lofts/grocers/boutiques/restaurants packed next to and on top of each other?
I disagree. Richmond has nothing at all comparable to Baltimore's miles on end of row-houses with white marble steps, no space between them, and every square inch paved over with sidewalk. Richmond's row houses have space between them, and small yards with greenery.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:16 PM

3,287 posts, read 4,610,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanLCraft View Post
Native Richmonders consider themselves Southern....no if's and's or but's. Fried Chicken and Sweet Tea is alive and well here.

Southern Accents once WERE the standard here. Speak to anyone over 50 and you will see that "the accent" is alive and well in anyone born in Richmond !

Richmond Phone Call II - YouTube

TV spokesman with Tidewater accent - YouTube

Old 04-20-2013, 09:19 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,959,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedtodave View Post
No.
I live in the Mid-Atlantic. Richmond is worlds away from Northern Virginia, suburban Maryland, Baltimore, etc. I was just down there this past weekend. To be honest, it sounds like many of you have biases against "Southerness", and this can lead to trying to convince yourself and others that you don't live in the South.

People who know Richmond know that it's Virginian first and foremost. Not Mid-Atlantic, and not Southern. Richmonders identify with their state to an extend further than most other people around the nation. After you get them to shut up about Virginia, then they identify as Southern. The "they" I reference is the majority.

To those that genuinely think Richmond is not a Southern city (those that are not just embarrassed of the South), beyond the fact that people associate with those like themselves, I think there is basic psychology at play here. You might perceive an over-representation of Northerners because you (consciously or subconsciously) look for them. Just like when you buy a grey Suburu, you'll notice many more grey Suburus around.
good theory. But nonsense. And I've lived in DC and Baltimore, and NOVA. Richmond just isn't worlds away. Once? Maybe. Now? No.

Notice how all the richmonders agree, but we have a guy from Nebraska, and one from the DC area disagreeing?

Old 04-22-2013, 01:33 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,712,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
good theory. But nonsense. And I've lived in DC and Baltimore, and NOVA. Richmond just isn't worlds away. Once? Maybe. Now? No.

Notice how all the richmonders agree, but we have a guy from Nebraska, and one from the DC area disagreeing?

Correction. You have a guy that lives in Nebraska but spent the first 22 years in VA with time lived in Richmonds Fan area....I've lived in Richmond and my family is from there...I've been to Richmond more times than I can count on four hands twice over...I've VERY familiar with this city.

I think the analogy i've used for you in the previous posts is pretty accurate...You're like a dude from Asia that moves to NYC...never leaves Chinatown...and is convinced NYC is basically Beijing...blissfully ignorant yet remarkably wrong. By your own admission in a previous post the people that you hang out with are northeastern transplants like yourself. Step outside your bubble. Talk to people that have generations of family in Richmond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond